Barcelona Party on 21st Sept

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
jorcx

Barcelona Party on 21st Sept

Post by jorcx »

Dear friends:
I´d like to propose a gathering in Barcelona to celebrate Leonard´s Birthday. I have no idea if there is any fan club or whatever, anyhow if anybody from Barcelona/Catalonia/Spain wants to join in please answer to this message and we´ll see what we can do. I offer myself for playing some Catalan covers of Cohen songs and we could also do some tradings of rarities etc. Depending on the number of people interested we´ll decide whether to do the party in some bar, on the beach or in my kitchen... Anyone out there? (Algú s´apunta?)
Jordi
dar

Post by dar »

I was hoping you would get at least several responses to your invitation to celebrate LC's birthday in Barcelona. My husband and I have wanted to see Barcelona for years and this would have been a perfect excuse. But, of course, there is Leonard Cohen Nights in Canada, and the gathering in Australia, and Hydra in 2005 and Berlin in 2006 and who knows may be coming. So...we live in Kingman, Arizona and couldn't make this "party" but I hope you manage some type of get together. And if it doesn't happen, know that your invitation is a wonderful gesture and we would have been happy to join you if it was at all possible.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Maybe they've contacted him privately? That was my hope. Even the kitchen table sounds great. Are you close enough for traveling to L.A. for Sean and Teratogen's, Dar?
dar

Post by dar »

Missed the info on Sean's celebration in LA Lizzy. Did he post something? Sorry to hear you had a bad scare at your place, the hurricane, and that you're hobbling around. Los Angeles is about 350 miles from me, but it's something we might be able to do. Any details?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Dar ~

Yes, they did post something ~ somewhere :? . If one of them doesn't recap it for you, I'll hunt it down tonite or tomorrow morning and copy&paste it to here.

Thanks. I'm very grateful that I was not in the path of Hurricane Charley. My impediment to walking ~ my supervisor said the other day, "Geez, Elizabeth ~ you get around faster on those crutches than I do with normal walking :lol: !" [I think she was just trying to make me feel better, though :wink: .]

Barcelona would certainly be more exotic and exciting than L.A., but either one would fill the bill :D .

~ Lizzy
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

M'hi apunto!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
You can count on me and some friend. 8)

If it's in your kitchen, I will bring wine. :wink:

I don't know how, but I have to find people, probably in the net, this evening I will search it.

There has to exist some way of promoting this. I'll think. :?: :idea:

Please, you must continue working in these versions, there are many interested people in LC's music in Barcelone. I am sure, we have of being able to find them.

It has come to me the Jordi Batiste's cover of Hallelujah, genial. The translation is perfect, respects absolutely the original lyrics. When he finishes the song confess it's a theft of Jeff Buckley's arrangements, which matters for me! I like it! Also Jeff's. Only electric guitar, without the first sigh.

We are keep in contact, :)
jorcx

Post by jorcx »

Thanks for your encouraging messages!
I´ve always believed this Forum is a great place. It seems there is not many fans from Barcelona aware of it, apart from Toni and me, but anyhow it´s for sure that there are many Leonard followers here as it was proved in all the concerts he has played. As I said, I would be pleased to play some covers for the event but it would also be nice to hear other singers, so if the thing goes on I´ll try to contact Jordi Batiste and maybe Toti Soler (the first Catalan artist who wonderfully covered "Suzanne") to participate. We should announce this party at different webs in order to enrol potential Cohenians who may not have known about this forum. For me, I believe I can gather about 5 or 6 friends. Now, let´s look for the best place to celebrate it... See you then,
Jordi
citizen

Post by citizen »

Hi!!! I hope we can celebrate theLeonard´s birthday in Barcelona, listening, for example, the Enrique Morente´s flamenco covers.
jorcx

Post by jorcx »

Great Tonyo, I hope we will meet on the 21st:
I´m still looking for a convenient place to do the meeting, but I hope to confirm it this week. It will probably be a small bar where we can play some acoustic songs and read some poems, and drink some champagne... Please tell your friends if they may be interested. Best regards,
Jordi
simonelimone

Post by simonelimone »

Yeah, very good idea indeed, I will join you from Alicante and probably bring a friend along. if I can do something for this birthday party, please let me know.

hope to hear soon from you - simon
jorcx

Post by jorcx »

Dear friends:

We can now confirm a time and place for the Barcelona gathering on September 21st. I´ll be giving a small concert where I´ll play several of my Catalan covers of Leonard Cohen songs (for about 50mins) and maybe we will have some special guest (still to be confirmed). It´s a very nice bar called London Bar close to Las Ramblas (Nou de la Rambla). The concert will start around 22PM but we could meet an hour earlier to do some chatting, etc. The entrance is free and I´m not getting any payment for this concert because I´m just doing it as a tribute.

Best regards and I hope to see you there,
Jordi
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Dear Jordi
I've posted info about your party also on the "Latest News" page of The Files.
jorcx

Post by jorcx »

Many thanks, Jarkko!
It´s really a big honour, I hope the concert will be up to the expectations... We´ll try to send complete feedback on this event (photos, mp3, etc.).
Best wishes,
Jordi
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Well! :lol:

This has form, undoubtedly it will be Leonard's worthy concert and a very good moment for us sharing his music and poems.

We have American people of Hispanic tongue that virtually they will be with us, but that till now was coming of beyond was from Girona. Simon and his friend have merit, Alicante is very far from Barcelona, Welcome!! :D

Another thing that me pleases in this adventure will be the presence of very young people, of the age of my daughters. They know and sing Cohen. Leonard is eternal, timeless. Without generational conflict. :roll:

Ah! The number. LONDON BAR is on Nou de la Rambla street number 34.

Thank you Jordi!! 8)
Bilbao

Post by Bilbao »

Damn! :evil:
I'll be unable to attend to this gathering, although I'd love to! :cry:
Maybe next time?
Anyway, all the best to all the Catalonia's cohenites. It's good to know that the interest on LC is growing around there!
Petons i força...

Return to “Other gatherings”