The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story

This section is for all other music-related topics
Diane

Re: The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story

Post by Diane »

Just to add, I watched the Thom Zimny film again (not sure how much is missed off in this "special edition"). It's a mesmerising up-close of the intensity and precision of Bruce's creative visions and processes, when he was at the height of his output. Along with Born to Run, Darkness is the embodiment of the passion of rock n roll, and this film allows an insight into why that is so, and it'll surely go down as a classic music documentary.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sebelmoth2003, thanks for the link. Unfortunately, as a non UKer, got the not available in my area message and
couldn't view it. Diane, glad that Santa might be delivering the CD to you. You must have been very good this
year or he'd just like the pleasure of making your acquaintance. :D Should he arrive, give him my best. I send
you my best wishes also. It's, overall, not bad, and enjoyable (including the Oribison sound, where that appears,
and the energy, etc.), though it's not a Darkness-level achievement.
Kush

Post by Kush »

well I am yet to get The Promise but plan on doing so soon. From what I have heard so far it is nowhere near the epic sweep of Darkness but probably has some good songs plus 1 or 2 great ones. You cannot repeat history.
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

I have bought it and it is somewhere but I've being so wrapped up in Leonard and going to Vegas that my focus has being completely on Leonard. When I fall off this cloud I will start listening to the rest of my music collection again and then I'll post my thoughts.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Diane

Post by Diane »

Gwen I was just checking the Las Vegas thread - you got to meet the man! Fantastic:-) Well done. That will never leave you...
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Diane wrote:Gwen I was just checking the Las Vegas thread - you got to meet the man! Fantastic:-) Well done. That will never leave you...
Thank you Diane. Indeed it won't! Best day of my life and best moment of that was when HE walked back over to me even though I'd kept a resectable distance and told me I was so kind. How the tears didn't flow then is beyond me as I'm a very emotional person. You should see me during Hallelujah even sometimes at home it brings tears to my eyes <3 As soon as I'm up to it I'm gonna scan my lyrics and get it framed. Off work now til Monday so will find my Bruce CD at some stage and listen to it and share my thoughts. I really hope he tours next year to fill the void left by Leonard while he in studio. Brucie and Bon Jovi are the only ones that come close to the effection I have for Leonard but really though my heart belongs to Leonard and Leonard alone <3
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Diane

Post by Diane »

He walked back over to you and told you you were so kind?:-)
Enjoy your happiness, Gwen xx.

And everyone, check out Bruce's Blue Christmas, last number on this new footage: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/de ... he-promise
Available until Jan 1st: four live songs from The Promise, plus Blue Christmas, from a recent private concert.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band performed a rare concert event last week in Asbury Park, New Jersey's historic Carousel House, playing never-before performed songs live from the new 2-CD set, 'The Promise.' Beginning today, five songs from the show will stream online, with North American viewers able to tune in exclusively across VEVO platforms, including http://www.VEVO.com starting at 10am EST. The concert will be available on VEVO until January 1.

Filmed before an audience of approximately sixty fans, "Songs From The Promise" was directed and edited by Grammy- and Emmy-winning filmmaker Thom Zimny and mixed by Emmy-winner Bob Clearmountain. The concert features the world premiere E Street Band performances of four tracks from 'The Promise,' plus "Blue Christmas."

"Songs From The Promise" Setlist:

"Racing in the Street ('78)
"Gotta Get That Feeling"
"Ain't Good Enough For You"
"The Promise"
"Blue Christmas"

For this one-time concert event, Springsteen and members of the E Street Band lineup—Clarence Clemons, Stevie Van Zandt, Max Weinberg, Roy Bittan, and Gary Tallent—were joined by keyboardist Charles Giordano, a full horn section—Ed Manion, Barry Danielian, Curt Ramm, Clark Gayton and Stan Harrison—and special guest David Lindley, who played violin during the original recording sessions.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Must say I prefer the piano version of The Promise, Steven. What a fine song - one of his best, and that's saying something.

I am ever hopeful he will do another Seeger type project. Bobby Jean, Seeger Style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpF1a3We7hU
B4real

Post by B4real »

Diane wrote:Must say I prefer the piano version of The Promise, Steven. What a fine song - one of his best, and that's saying something.
I am in absolute agreement with both statements. :D 8)

I feel the same way about "For You" - IMO the best version of it is the piano version from 1975 at The Main Point Club, Bryn Mawr, PA. I can't post the link because it has been taken off YouTube due to copyright regulations but no doubt you all will have it.

Bev
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Diane

Post by Diane »

Hi B4Real:-) Too bad about the youtube. I haven't any Bruce bootlegs. For You from Hammersmith Live 75 often plays on my itunes, though. He sang with a special kind of passion in those days ..!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi Diane and Bev,

Me too, prefer the piano version. Also agree that it's "a fine song" and "one of his best."
Looks as if Bruce gets younger looking as he's at the piano playing/singing the
song. Probably reconnecting to elements of the song that were real to him when he wrote it.

The Seeger "Bobby Gene" is interesting and enjoyable and an example of how Bruce can reinvent a song
in ways that nobody could have imagined. Still prefer the song delivered in a more imploring way,
e.g.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_caz4qMx ... re=related.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Nice. 85 was the year I first saw him and videos from then bring back a tad the incredible vibe. These clips are yet more precious now that Clarence is gone.
geoff+evans

Post by geoff+evans »

Bruce is my favorite singer/songwriter/performer .... but .... I would love to see him put his talents/resources to writing NEW songs/music about the world's problems, just like he did with the excellent The Rising..... the world needs some new music to inspire and help heal wounds......
Let this day be ....
..... the start of a new beginning
Diane

Post by Diane »

Hi Geoff, and welcome. The Rising (a great album I agree) was likely a one-off, prompted by a huge event that I imagine for Americans felt like a personal violation. The political is ever there to a greater or lesser degree in his work, though. Examples, taking the three studio albums since The Rising (excl. Seeger Sessions): Last to Die, Gypsy Biker and Devil's Arcade from Magic, and the title tracks of both Devils and Dust and Working on a Dream. Possibly even he is unsure as to what's next, as I believe he and the E Street were planning another tour when Clarence died.

Return to “Other music”