CONCERT REPORTS: Gent, Belgium, August 20, 21 & 22, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Gent, Belgium, August 20, 21 and 22, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

I just saw this at DrHGuy's site and now cannot remember if I already posted this here? :?

A compilation from the first show - on August 20th.

Uploaded by "bella200209" - Thanks!

"Leonard Cohen 20/08/2010" - includes Leonard's comments to audience before "Anthem" - and later "Ah, speak to me Angels" :D :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiIHxTGxol8
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

cohenadmirer wrote: surprisingly few reports from ghent???
We're all still here - and far too busy to spend time on the keyboard at the moment!

Wendy
pe swijngedouw

Post by pe swijngedouw »

"here" = at de gruut ? 'santé' to all

pe
... precisely ...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by "TheLinda555" - Thanks!

From 8/20/2010

"In My Secret Life" - (happy to see a video of this song - even if only partial!! :D :D )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhnYKBlMA9E

"Who By Fire" (partial)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4sXnSytWpg
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
quirijn

Post by quirijn »

Saturday 21 august.
It was a perfect evening, but........
The temperature was so good that I sat there in my T-shirt all evening.St Pietersplein was a perfect place for the concert.My wheelchair was pushed by my friend from Ghent.We became 60 this year and decided that this was a good way to celebrate our birthday,although my friend never visited a popconcert before.I was 2 years ago in Amsterdam for my first concert with Leonard Cohen.I had listened to his CD Dear heather and I thought :with this voice I will not buy anymore LC cd's.But when the concert in AMSTERDAM was announced I knew I had to be there:seeing him once in my life.The concert was unforgettable,I really enjoyed it , I laughed and I cried. Last year I took some friends to the concert in Antwerp and although there were no more surprises but we had a memorable evening.
And there I was for my third concert in perfect circumstances:His voice was never better,round and beautiful, he pronounced his words perfectly,the musicians were great and yet:
I was bored, I couldnot feel anything,I was looking on my watch:how many hours to go? During the pause my friend was surprised:he is your hero, your role-model where is your enthousiasm?

I tried to explain to her that I couldnot make contact with the master or could he not make contact with me? The same wellknown frases between the songs,there was no soul in it, it was a well-played act .
After the pause there was Sharon who took me to Boogy street and there was the contact.The Partisan was swinging despite the text .I could feel the difference with the part before the pause.
When I woke up on sundaymorning I was disappointed and I felt admiration for the people who visited all three concerts in Ghent.
One concert was enough for me .
Is it enough for LC and should he stop at the top of his succes or was it enough for me? Am I gonna buy:Songs from the road???
I hope my English is well enough to express my feelings.
Hans de Rijke
The Hague
Holland
francis

Post by francis »

"Pour la petite histoire": in the version of Hallelujah of Sunday evening, I think LC sung "maybe there is a God of love" instead of "a God above". Does anybody noticed the same ?
khayya

Post by khayya »

I read in the forum more and more complaints about the fact that repeating the same thing over and over again may become boring? But what do You expect? Leonard changing the concert radically every evening? There seems to be a group of people addicted to transcendental moments (what is, of course, very human) and at the same time surprised if they do not occur when artificially repeated. Just go to one concert and then go on with your life, being grateful for that wonderful and unique gift you've got.
Shake

Post by Shake »

From http://shaketown.blogspot.com/2010/08/l ... an-75.html:

Leonard Cohen onberispelijk heer en meester in Gent

Terwijl het afgelopen weekend alle pukkels verzamelen bliezen op een wei in Kiewit, begon Leonard Cohen, de Canadese poëtische veldheer van het hart, aan zijn driedaagse veroveringstocht van Gent. En ook al was de strijd, met drie keer een vol Sint-Pietersplein, op voorhand beslecht, toch keken we reikhalzend uit naar het vrijdagse openingsconcert van de éminence grise van de songschrijverij.
Terwijl de avondzon nog volop scheen en vele mensen enigszins te laat toestroomden, huppelde een onberispelijk geklede Cohen vrolijk het grote podium op, groette de massa hartelijk en zette stemmig in met ‘Dance Me To The End Of Love’. Toegegeven, het voelde ietwat vreemd aan om de man in het daglicht te beluisteren, want we associëren Cohen en zijn muziek toch eerder met de duisternis. Maar veel tijd om hierover te mediteren kregen we nauwelijks want een concert als dit zuigt meteen alle aandacht naar zich toe. Een half dozijn superieur gebrachte klassiekers passeerden de revue (zie setlist), uitmondend in een eerste hoogtepunt: het door de Spaanse bandurriaspeler Javier Mas van een intense intro voorziene ‘Who By Fire’. En Mas is slechts één van de absolute topmuzikanten die de band van Cohen rijk is. Bassist Roscoe Beck schitterde onder meer tijdens hetzelfde nummer, Keyboardspeler Neil Larson toetste de hele avond op hoog niveau, terwijl het spel van gitarist Bob Metzger niet minder dan geniaal genoemd kan worden. Drummer Rafael Bernardo Gayol, Dino Soldo (op allerlei ‘instruments of wind’), achtergrondzangeressen Sharon Robinson en The (sublime) Webb Sisters vervolledigen dit grandioze dectet. Nog steeds neemt de zanger (letterlijk) de hoed af voor zijn groepsleden, waarbij hij hen, volledig terecht, allerlei fraais toedicht. Tijdens vorige concerten deed hij dit soms net iets te vaak, maar de meester heeft ook hierin leren doseren.
Hoewel de setlist voor het grootste deel hetzelfde oogde als deze van zijn vorige Belgische concerten, trakteerde Leonard Cohen zijn publiek toch op drie nieuwe nummers, waarvan er twee teruggrepen naar de Blues en het derde het best kan omschreven worden als een typische Cohen gospel. Het eerste nieuwe nummer, ‘The Darkness”, dook voor het eerst vorig jaar in Leonard’s programma op en is zoals de titel al laat vermoeden een gitzwarte reflectie over het leven in het algemeen en over een (liefdes)relatie in het bijzonder. De song transformeert Cohen meteen tot een dylaneske bluesman, genre ‘Time Out of Mind’. “I caught the darkness baby /Drinking from your cup/ I caught the darkness baby / from your little ruby cup / I said is this contagious? / You said ‘just drink it up’”. Zoals bij elke goede Cohen-song hoeft de meerduidigheid in de lyrics nauwelijks te worden onderstreept.
Het tweede nieuwe nummer ‘Born In Chains’ volgde meteen al op het eerste. Dit gospelachtig lied bezingt de Joodse uittocht uit Egypte, waarschijnlijk als metafoor voor één van Leonard Cohen’s favoriete thema’s: de vrijheid van de ziel.
Na een gesmaakt bezoek aan het ‘Chelsea Hotel’ en een intens ‘Anthem’ stuurde de zanger ons omstreeks half tien de pauze in. Tijd om even de benen te strekken en van gedachten te wisselen over de unieke prestatie van de nu toch al bijna 76-jarige Canadees. “Leonard Cohen is één van de allerbeste performers ter wereld” was een veelgehoorde klank. We konden dit alleen maar stellig beamen.
Het begin van het tweede deel viel ongeveer samen met de ingevallen duisternis over het Gentse Sint-Pietersplein. Cohen, staande achter een synthesizer, bracht vocaal ondersteund door Robinson en The Web Sisters eerst een doorleefde versie van één van zijn lijfliederen ‘Tower Of Song’. Leonard’s onverwoestbare klassieker ‘Suzanne’, werd zoals verwacht onthaald op een zomers applaus en een paar songs later toverde de zanger met ‘Feels So Good’ het laatste, en misschien wel sterkste, nieuwe nummer uit zijn herenhoed.
Ook nu weer moesten we onwillekeurig aan Dylan denken. Het bluesy ‘Feels So Good’ is slechts zeer recent aan Cohen’s setlist toegevoegd en de tekst durft tijdens zijn laatste optredens al eens te variëren, alsof de definitieve versie nog niet gevonden werd. In dit bittere lied lijkt de singer-songwriter af te rekenen met een oude geliefde, zonder zich er evenwel helemaal van te kunnen bevrijden, ook weer typisch Cohen natuurlijk. “Feels so good / not to love you like I did / It’s like they tore away the blindfold and they said we’re gonna let this prisoner live”.
Tijdens het laatste deel van het concert plukte de zanger naar hartelust verder pareltjes uit zijn rijk gevulde oeuvre. Sharon Robinson kreeg haar moment de gloire tijdens ‘Boogie Street’. ‘Hallelujah’ dreef op een orgelbegeleiding waar alle Gentse kerken en kathedralen van droomden en tijdens de uitgebreide bisrondes wist vooral het blauwverlichte ‘Famous Blue Raincoat’ tot in de ziel te raken.
Vermelden we tenslotte nog een door The Webb Sisteres engelachtig naar de sterren gezongen ‘If It Be Your Will’, een feestelijk ‘Closing Time’ en een ultiem ‘I Tried To Leave You’ en u zal begrijpen dat Gent helemaal aan de voeten lag van de Canadese meester.
First he took Bruges, Brussels, Antwerp & Ghent and then he’ll take… Hasselt? Limburgers, hou jullie alvast klaar volgend jaar.

Shake, Shaketown: http://shaketown.blogspot.com/

Foto’s: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=ghent%2 ... N00#page=0

setlist
Dance me to the end of love
The future
Ain't no cure for love
Bird on the wire
Everybody knows
In My Secret Life
Who By Fire
The Darkness
Born in Chains
Chelsea Hotel
Anthem

Tower Of Song
Suzanne
Sisters Of Mercy
The Gypsy's Wife
Feel so good
The Partisan
Boogie Street
Hallelujah
I'm Your Man
Take This Waltz

So Long Marianne
First We Take Manhattan

Famous Blue Raincoat
If I Be Your Will
Closing Time

I Tried To Leave You
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
cohenadmirer wrote: surprisingly few reports from ghent???
We're all still here - and far too busy to spend time on the keyboard at the moment!

Wendy
You took the words right out of my mouth Wendy!

We're sitting in Brussels airport waiting for our flight(s) back to USA....... I'll be posting when I return.

Best wishes to everyone we met over this weekend,
Joy and Mark
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
Francy

Post by Francy »

khayya wrote:I read in the forum more and more complaints about the fact that repeating the same thing over and over again may become boring? But what do You expect? Leonard changing the concert radically every evening? There seems to be a group of people addicted to transcendental moments (what is, of course, very human) and at the same time surprised if they do not occur when artificially repeated. Just go to one concert and then go on with your life, being grateful for that wonderful and unique gift you've got.
How right you are khayya!!
Each concert of LC is absolutely perfect!
A while of total enjoyment... what more could you want?
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

francis wrote:"Pour la petite histoire": in the version of Hallelujah of Sunday evening, I think LC sung "maybe there is a God of love" instead of "a God above". Does anybody noticed the same ?
He did sing "a God of Love" as he did the night before (on Saturday).

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

After a 20 hour door to door trip from Gent to Los Angeles, I tried to do a usual multi upload of concert videos overnight. However, Youtube gave me a lot of grief. So to paraphrase an LC song, I am uploading them "one by one". It will take ages to do it this way, so please bear with me. I also will be jumping in and out of several concert and Krakow threads as well. Yep, I had a wunnerful, wunnerful time with lots to report!

Here are two friday night Ghent concert videos to start off:

* Aint' No Cure *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EJBSrEP7qs

NB. On Saturday night, LC changed the "broken church" to "ancient church". How fitting, in that historic Square.
Older threads (eg., San Diego April 2009) talked about the lyric change from "empty" to "broken".
Don't 'ya just love how he continually changes his lyrics.

* Darkness *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5XlIPK-Hmc

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
valentin

Post by valentin »

.many many thanks for sharing your friend photos. It is almost like being there.
Verde que te quiero verde...
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Friday night Ghent concert, August 20
Two more videos

* Born In Chains *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK8lRFyBr5Q

* Everybody Knows *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zg4mcrj3vk

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose