THE 2010 SONGWRITERS HALL OF FAME

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Roy

Re: THE 2010 SONGWRITERS HALL OF FAME

Post by Roy »

News

http://www.songhall.org/news/entry/1026

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Keith Mardak To Receive The Abe Olman Publisher Award At SongHall Gala

New York, N.Y.- June9, 2010- Hal David, Chairman/CEO of the Songwriters Hall of Fame, announced today that Keith Mardak will receive the Abe Olman Publisher Award at this year’s Songwriters Hall of Fame Awards Gala, taking place Thursday June 17, at the New York Marriott Marquis Hotel.

“Keith Mardak has long been immensely respected as an innovative publisher, keeping the important tradition and art of printed music alive, while making it sustainable and viable with today’s new technologies,” commented Chairman/CEO Hal David. “We are pleased to honor him with our prestigious Abe Olman Publisher Award.”

Mardak began his career at the Hal Leonard Corporation in 1970, where he is currently the Chairman/CEO. The Hal Leonard Corporation has experienced a dramatic annual expansion since its beginning, especially with the 1985 purchase Mardak headed by an internal management group. The Hal Leonard Corporation currently is the world’s largest music print publisher with a catalog consisting of over 200,000 publications, covering a broad spectrum of printed music.

Mardak has been a past member of several musical organizations including the board of directors of ASCAP, the Music Publishers Association, the American Music Conference, the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, as well as Summerfest, the world’s largest music festival. Mardak currently serves on the board for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee and with his help; the Hal Leonard Young Musicians Program along with the Mardak Center for Administration and Training were formed. Mardak was also an essential part in the creation of the Daniels-Mardak Boys & Girls Club, which opened in 2004. The Boys & Girls Clubs today serves more than 33,000 Milwaukee kids a year. In 2005, Mardak received an honorary doctorate from VanderCook College of Music for his groundbreaking philanthropy for music education and inspiration to millions of musicians around the world.

On June 8th at the Bitter End in New York City, five promising young songwriters were given the distinguished Abe Olman Scholarship for Excellence in Songwriting. These individuals are those who have risen to an exemplary standard and have been chosen by ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, SGA and SHOF.

This year’s Abe Olman Scholarship recipients are:
Gabriella Caspi (SHOF)
Comic Book Heroes (SESAC)
Rebecca Jordan (ASCAP)
Keli Price (BMI)
Chris Tedesco (SGA)

Abe Olman, for whom the scholarship program is named, was both a major figure in the music publishing community and a songwriter himself, in addition to being one of the founders of the Songwriters Hall of Fame. The Abe Olman Scholarships given out each year are made possible by his family in the interest of encouraging and supporting the careers of young songwriters the likes of former scholarship recipient John Legend. The Abe Olman Scholarship winners’ songs are also featured on the annual compilation CD; The Best of the Songwriters Hall of Fame New Writers Showcase: Volume 8. There was a performance showcase after the scholarship presentations.

The Holly Prize, a new award made possible by Songmasters and administered and juried by the Songwriters Hall of Fame as a tribute to the legacy of SHOF inductee Buddy Holly was awarded on June 8th to New Jersey native Laura Warshauer. The Holly Prize recognizes and supports the “all-in songwriter,” an exceptionally talented and inspired young musician/singer/songwriter whose work exhibits the qualities of Holly’s music. Additional support for the SHOF will come from the Listen To Me; Buddy Holly recordings, in production under music great, Peter Asher.

Inductees at this year’s event include Leonard Cohen, Jackie DeShannon, David Foster, Johnny Mandel and Earth, Wind & Fire’s Maurice White, Philip Bailey, Verdine White, Larry Dunn and Al McKay. Posthumous inductees are Tom Adair and Matt Dennis, Bob Marley, Laura Nyro, Sunny Skylar and Jesse Stone. The Johnny Mercer Award will be presented to Phil Collins. The Towering Song this year is “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” to be accepted by Paul Simon. The Hal David Starlight Award will be presented to Taylor Swift. The Howie Richmond Hitmaker Award will be presented to Phil Ramone.

Ticket Information:
Tickets for the Songwriters Hall of Fame event begin at $1000 each, and are available through Buckley Hall Events, (212) 573-6933. Net proceeds from the event will go towards the Songwriters Hall of Fame programs.

Fran Curtis
Rogers & Cowan
212-445-8423
fcurtis@rogersandcowan.com

Caitlin McNamara
Rogers & Cowan
212-445-8232
cmcnamamara@rogersandcowan.com

Lauren Wilsman
Rogers & Cowan
212-445-8486
lwilsman@rogersandcowan.com

Posted by April Anderson [SHOF] on 06/10 at 01:00 PM
General
LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
Roy

Post by Roy »

News

http://www.songhall.org/news/entry/1028

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

SongHall on Sirius XM!

To celebrate our slate of inductees and awardees who will attend our Annual Awards Gala on Thursday, June 17th, Sirius/XM will air interviews and music beginning today. We hope you will tune in!

Songwriter Hall of Fame special features have begun airing today on the following channels:

60s - with Jackie DeShannon
70s - with Earth Wind & Fire and David Foster
80s - with Phil Collins
The Highway - with Taylor Swift
The Joint - about Bob Marley
The Loft - with Leonard Cohen
Praise - “Bridge Over Troubled Water”
Siriusly Sinatra - with Johnny Mandel
Soul Town - with Earth Wind & Fire

These spots are running once every few hours, and they will air through Friday, June 18th.

Dial in to the Cousin Brucie Show “60s on 6” from 5 pm – 9 pm ET tonight to hear Phil Ramone and Jackie DeShannon who are scheduled to be live in the studio!

Posted by April Anderson [SHOF] on 06/16 at 10:10 AM
General

Sirius XM - The Loft with Leonard Cohen

http://www.sirius.com/theloft
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Roy - do you know if there is actually an interview with Leonard Cohen?

Hard to tell from the SHOF update - but it does say "with" Leonard Cohen. Dare we hope for an interview done "remotely?"

Oh - Sirius offers a free 7-day trial - :D :lol:
http://www.sirius.com/player/guest/show ... orm.action

Wait for their confirming email that will give you a password - and then fill in the sign-in screen.

Actually - here is a link for "The Loft" and there is a link there for "Free Trial" (the 7-day free trial really is - you do not
want to give credit card info for a 30-day trial)
http://www.sirius.com/theloft

And I notice that Lou Reed has a show on The Loft - I think aired on Saturdays.
Last edited by sturgess66 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roy

Post by Roy »

I do not know. There is nothing mentioned about Leonard Cohen yet on their site, or I just cannot find it. Wait until tomorrow.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Roy,
I have also just checked and I don't see where LC is featured. Guess I will have to keep my radio tuned to Channel 29 for the next few days in the hope of hearing something. Thank you for keeping us informed.
Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Roy

Post by Roy »

THE 2010 SONGWRITERS HALL OF FAME

TONIGHT! :D

Thursday, June 17, 2010 at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in New York City, Broadway at 45th Street

6:00 PM - Cocktails in the Astor Ballroom
7:00 PM - Dinner and Dessert in the Broadway Ballroom
8:30 PM - The Show in the Broadway Ballroom

Executive/Music Producer - Phil Ramone

The Inductees:

Leonard Cohen, Laura Nyro, Bob Marley, Jackie DeShannon,
Earth, Wind & Fire, David Foster, Johnny Mandel,
Tom Adair & Matt Dennis, Sunny Skylar, Jesse Stone

Special Awards

The Johnny Mercer Award
Phil Collins (Already inducted in 2003)

The Howie Richmond Hitmaker Award
Phil Ramone

The Hal David Starlight Award
Taylor Swift

The Abe Olman Publisher Award
Keith Mardak

The Towering Song Award
Bridge Over Troubled Water by Paul Simon (Already inducted in 1982)

Presenters and Performers

Kim Carnes, Peter Cetera, Charice, Judy Collins, Bruce Hornsby, Billy Joel, Diana Krall, kd Lang, John Mayer, Brian Stokes Mitchell, LA Reid, Raphael Saadiq, Paul Shaffer, Dionne Warwick, Elizabeth Withers and Nikki Yanofsky
Last edited by Roy on Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

This is the PR Newswire release regarding SHOF inductees and Sirius XM. There is no mention of Leonard Cohen specifically so - while I have no idea really - I hold out little hope that there will be an actual interview with him on a program on The Loft.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 98679.html
SIRIUS XM Salutes the 2010 Songwriters Hall of Fame Inductees and Honorees

Inductees and honorees Taylor Swift, Phil Ramone, Jackie DeShannon, Phil Collins, David Foster, Paul Simon and Earth, Wind & Fire's Maurice White, to share personal stories about their influences and their songwriting on SIRIUS XM

NEW YORK, June 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- SIRIUS XM Radio (Nasdaq: SIRI) will honor the 2010 Songwriters Hall of Fame inductees and honorees across many of its highly-acclaimed music channels for three days beginning Wednesday, June 16, the day before this year's Songwriters Hall of Fame Awards Gala.

SIRIUS XM listeners will hear musicians sharing stories about fellow artists and songwriters, including Taylor Swift talking about Tim McGraw (both the artist and her song of the same name), Phil Collins discussing "In the Air Tonight," David Foster talking about "After the Love Has Gone," Beenie Man on Bob Marley, Paul Simon discussing "Bridge Over Troubled Water," which was named this year's "Towering Song," and Earth Wind & Fire talking about their song "Can't Hide Love."

"The importance of the written word in songwriting is something often overlooked, and without it, music would have less meaning," said Scott Greenstein, President and Chief Content Officer, SIRIUS XM Radio. "We are thrilled to celebrate the importance of songwriting by showcasing this year's inductees and honorees across many of our music channels."

Additionally, radio icon and SIRIUS XM host Cousin Brucie will welcome music producer Phil Ramone, who is receiving The Howie Richmond Hitmaker Award at this year's awards ceremony, to the SIRIUS XM studios during his live show Cruisin' With Cousin Brucie on Wednesday, June 16 at 5:00 pm ET on '60s on 6, SIRIUS and XM channel 6. Also during his live show, "The Cuz" will welcome inductee Jackie DeShannon.

The Songwriters Hall of Fame celebrates songwriters, educates the public of their achievements, and produces a spectrum of professional programs devoted to the development of new songwriting talent through workshops, showcases and scholarships.
Roy

Post by Roy »

More pages added:

2010 AWARD AND INDUCTION CEREMONY
http://www.songwritershalloffame.com/ceremony/C6029

THE 2010 INDUCTEES
http://www.songwritershalloffame.com/ce ... tees/C6029

SPECIAL AWARDS
http://www.songwritershalloffame.com/ce ... ners/C6029

We'll have to wait for the late night news and tomorrow morning's news to read who gave the induction speech for who, and who performed for who.
Roy

Post by Roy »

Anjani responded to a private message I sent her on her forum. She is in the studio now, starting up a track, and won't be attending the 2010 Song Hall induction ceremony with Leonard Cohen. I asked her to tell Leonard to pose for a picture with Peter Cetera.

I'm sure there will be lots of photo ops!

-Anjani
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

The Loft on our Sirius/XM in not channel 29. Our correct channel for the Loft is Channel 50. Have heard nothing so far - keeping the faith that there will be something re:LC!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Roy

Post by Roy »

News

http://songhall.org/news/entry/977

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Annual Awards Gala!

The Songwriters Hall of Fame Annual Awards Gala will take place June 17th, 2010, at the New York Marriott Marquis. You’ll find all of the up-to-the-minute details on our songhall.org website.

If you’d like to inquire about tickets to this unforgettable event, please contact Buckley Hall Events at 212-573-6933 today!

Posted by April Anderson [SHOF] on 06/17 at 11:05 AM
Event • SHOF

Chairman's Letter
Spring, 2010

By Hal David
Chairman/CEO

http://songhall.org/member_letter

The Songwriters Hall of Fame has spent the last 41 years dedicated to our mission to promote and preserve the legacy of Popular Music, while educating and nurturing the songwriters of tomorrow. The importance of this quest is even more far-reaching as each new generation begins to learn about the history of songs that make up the world’s soundtrack. The tools we use are a combination of our essential programs, our comprehensive songhall.org and Virtual Museum websites, and our Annual Awards Gala, where we honor the current slate of inductees and awardees.

Our Annual Awards Galas are always described as the high point of the year in the music industry, and this year is already shaping up to be a show to remember, once again produced by the legendary Phil Ramone. The Gala will take place Thursday, June 17th at the New York Marriott Marquis, and I am very pleased to announce that the inductees who will be welcomed into our Hall of Fame will be Leonard Cohen, Jackie DeShannon, David Foster, Johnny Mandel and Earth, Wind & Fire’s Maurice White, Philip Bailey, Verdine White, Larry Dunn and Al McKay.

We are very excited to have just announced Phil Collins as the recipient of our prestigious Johnny Mercer Award.

We hope you will visit more of our songhall.org website today to get all of the latest news about our Gala, along with workshop, showcase and other event reporting.

Our 2010 inductees and awardees are truly representational of the heart and soul of the world’s Popular Music soundtrack, and we are looking forward to all of the excitement of our 41st Anniversary Awards Gala on June 17th!
Last edited by Roy on Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy

Post by Roy »

511 people were using the Leonard Cohen Forum on March 10, 2008, the night of Leonard Cohen's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the most ever until it was surpassed. Most users ever online was 1144 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:03 am. I don't recall what the ocassion was. I wonder what will happen in here tonight! Too bad the 2010 Song Hall ceremony is not being televised. That would have helped.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Roy wrote:Most users ever online was 1144 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:03 am. I don't recall what the ocassion was.
Roy,
I think it was the start of the presales of the North American Tour 2009, but I'm not 100% sure...
By the way: I wanted to thank you for all your efforts regarding the various Halls Of Fame, you're doing a great job!

Take care,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Roy

Post by Roy »

Maarten wrote:
Roy wrote:Most users ever online was 1144 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:03 am. I don't recall what the ocassion was.
Roy,
I think it was the start of the presales of the North American Tour 2009, but I'm not 100% sure...
Thank you.

You are right!

I'm checking all over the internet to see if anyone from the media or the public has their computer on at the ceremony and using their webcam to show the ceremony online. Backstage at the pressroom maybe.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

MaryB wrote:The Loft on our Sirius/XM in not channel 29. Our correct channel for the Loft is Channel 50. Have heard nothing so far - keeping the faith that there will be something re:LC!
Not going to happen. :cry: :cry:

I called The Loft and left a message asking if there would be an interview with Leonard Cohen. Mike Malone, the program director just called me back and said that the press release from the SHOF was very misleading - that they will be playing his music but he will not be interviewed. He said he would LOVE to have Leonard Cohen - that he has been trying for 7 years. They have had Adam on - but not Leonard.

Return to “News”