Wet Rocks, Friends of the Concert that Never Was

This section is for any non-Cohen topics (except political discussions!)

Moderators: MarieM, Wybe, Maarten, pekka, Henning, Andrew (Darby), dick, tomsakic, jarkko

Re: Wet Rocks, Friends of the Concert that Never Was

Postby lizzytysh on Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:31 pm

I know it, Mutti :D [you'll always be Mutti to me 8) ]! Isn't it just SOOOoooooo George and SOOOoooooo them 8) ???

I had no idea anyone would comment so quickly, much less this early on a Saturday, where you live :shock: ! So, I added to my final paragraph, to be fair to its submitter. I MUCH prefer thinking that it originated with George, however, and made its way around the country ;-) .

GOOD HEAVENS, Mutti! WHAT a night/morning YOU had there! I left off with your decision to go home and then Mary [and me in the background in their room, sitting on the opposite bed] talking with you on the phone, as you were getting ready to board :( . How I wanted to snatch you back to Golden and then Red Rocks!!!

The hotel had its issues that affected me and Diana, too :lol: . But some discomfort stuff going on for you.

Though exhausted, what a BEAUTIFUL morning you had there, though... seeing the deer and all the red rocks in the morning light, things that I missed. And absorbing it in your solitude. Lovely!

I wish I could've stayed there longer. One thing that I remember so clearly is getting out of the van where we had dinner in that small, mountain town whose name I can never remember, and being bowled over when I heard the RUSHING of a TRUE Niagara Falls, up close. I was awed by it and could've stood there all night just taking it in, but finally had to follow along with everyone else to get to our restaurant.

~ Lizzy xoxox
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Postby mutti on Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:54 pm

Lizzy I keep my name of the forum as Mutti in a way because you like it so much. I feel like a schizophrenic woman sometimes as I sign Les, Leslie, Mutt ;-) ;-) ;-) When I joined the forum I never ever thought I would be posting and how important it would be to me...so I put that as my user name...

I too remember that rushing sound of the river or creek almost overflowing..its was dark but we could see the water high almost to the edge and hear it at the parking lot. The town is Morrison and that Italian restaurant was so much fun.
Roman, Kelsey, Mary, George you and I around a table..missing Greg who had left already...you in your tie dyed tshirt..
I remember we kept thinking the 'band' members may walk in and were laughing when anyone walked upstairs to our area..
what a 24 hours of so many emotions..
and yes me getting to the airport and reading 2 emails from work of colleagues saying to stay and they would cover my shifts at work..and calling Mary and back and forth...being the last to board..and then when I got off the plane there was another message from Mary and I immediately went over to talk to the airport counter to see if I could get back on the plane to Denver and start all over again...I then took a deep breath realized how crazy I was acting and went home...I had 3 cousins coming for dinner from out of town 2 nights later and so did the responsible thing and went home...slept for hours..
NO regrets...
Ok all of you - I hope we get the pleasure of seeing each other in person somewhere on this planet in 2010 or 2011!!!
Mutti (Leslie) ;-)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
mutti

Postby lizzytysh on Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Hi Mutti ~

I have never and will never think of you as Les or Mutt :shock: ! I've always thought of you as Mutti or Leslie, in that order. One day, you may want to do a Prince thing of " . . . formerly known as Mutti." Eventually, we'd get used to it ;-) ... though it may never replace Mutti for me, which evokes such a cuddly image with me.

Oh, geez... I remember those tense moments with your being at the airport. I wanted SO much to magically transport you back to Golden; and so relieved that you are at peace with how it all played out. And especially since you DID finally get to see Leonard, regardless.

Love ya,
Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Postby mutti on Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:19 pm

Love ya too Lizzy!
Hope to see you in the last concert of the tour for 2010 ends up in the US!!! I'm going to keep hopeful
and start saving!
Somehow North America seems easy and small compared to going to Europe or Australia!
Love your Mutti :razz:
1988 Vancouver
mutti

Postby MaryB on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:14 pm

Well, I did it again - had this loooooong message, then tried to attach a photo and lost everything :( Here we go again.

Lizzy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: George may have not used those exact words, but yes he did. Someone had to take control, darn Isabelle GPS kept taking us round and round and round in circles and all she kept saying was 'recalculating, recalculating, recalculating'... and there we were - in the same spot again over and over and over and going nowhere. My gosh, we could not stop laughing and we hadn't even had anything to drink. It's so weird that you mentioned Reader's Digest. When George and I were talking last night, I was telling him how I used to get some of my humor fixes from Reader's Digest and now I rely on threads on the forum like 'Jokes Needed' and things like this that seadove posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iNtOWLS7aY. How weird that you mentioned Reader's Digest - a Twilight Zone moment.

Poor Leslie. I had you going around in circles - stay/go stay/go. I didn't know you were also having all those room issues. That Holiday Inn must be jinxed. Lizzy and I could swear the room police were out to get us - trying to get into her room, key not working, help is on the way, oh no they're coming to get us, up and down paths and hallways, where are we, people eyeing us suspiciously, are they room police?... All because Diana tried to do Lizzy a favor. We lived in fear that we would do something wrong and get Diana in trouble and then we would be in trouble with Diana and we could also go to suspicious room booking jail :roll: :lol: Thankfully, because of a super reception desk clerk it all worked out. We took the clerk out to show us the Denver nightlife - apparently there is none after 11PM - but she knew 'places' , all culminating with drinks at 'The Dive' and yes, it was, but all these places were the best in the world because of the company :D

Diana, coming into Denver to commiserate with us and getting the awful duty of having to tell Lizzy the bad news. Not staying long enough for a chance to really getting to know Greg and Kelsey and Leslie. It all worked out though, didn't it....look at you and Leslie now :D :D :D

Greg - a sweetheart of a man who is now with a sweetheart of a woman, Ann. How things work out! Greg, who came and gave us the privilege of getting to know him and to top it all off, bearing the most fantastic gifts also. These Australian concerts were announced and because of you, I thought 'can we do it'? (alas, no :cry: ). You have exposed us the the wonders of your beautiful country through your lovely photos and incredible posts. Someday......

Ann, how quickly you forget when you say you have yet to meet us face-to-face. We met in Barcelona. Remember, George was going to tell you all about Greg - did he? I was going to post a photo of us in Barca and then was it this photo that made my whole post disappear? Maybe we didn't meet :roll: :lol:

Finally getting to meet the beautiful Kelsey. Staying far too short a time also. I remember you saying that you would post a photo here of your family for those of us who don't Facebook. Did I miss it? Can we get an update?

The elusive Roman - how are you? I think you are doing Krakow. You will be in great company - Lizzy, I think Greg and Ann also. Are there any concerts in your future? Let us know. You become a stranger with these long absents (not the right word, but you know what I mean) here. I miss your presence.

Some of us were fortunate to be able to attend the concerts, some, sadly not. The friendships formed to me are beyond compare. All because of Leonard Cohen - what a wonderful world!

With much affection,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MaryB

Postby MaryB on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:15 pm

Here's what did me in the first time- photo courtesy of Leslie who now apparently is half the woman she used to be ;-) :D
!cid_0286CE22-B8A7-4B57-A12E-6D72698BB0E7@hsd1_wa_comcast_net.jpg
Last edited by MaryB on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MaryB

Postby MaryB on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:20 pm

or was it this one - it was - it was to big originally - see Ann, we did meet
IMG_0032.JPG
MaryB

Postby MaryB on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:23 pm

and this one
IMG_1049.JPG
MaryB

Postby MaryB on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:30 pm

And the pleasure of meeting Bonnie and Denise
IMG_1122.JPG

How lucky are we
Attachments
IMG_1119.JPG
MaryB

Postby lizzytysh on Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:16 am

Great photos, Mary [not the best of me, but hey... whatever ;-) ]... I LOVE that one of you and Ann!! [Don't feel bad, Ann... I've made that exact faux pas in the past myself... so many people, so many names, so many identities... ["Now WHO did I meet in that flurry of people :? !?!"]

Hahaha, Mary! I KNEW it! I couldn't remember Isabelle's name, never could, but that was sure enough the scene I had in mind in association with the joke and George's 'quote' :lol: . It got to where all those "recalculating... "s got us to where we couldn't stop laughing and then we'd recognize a corner we'd seen twice before and there we'd be laughing again and more! What a night 8) ! And you're right... not a drop to drink.

WoW. That IS odd... out of the blue, here comes TWO Reader's Digest discussions, just one night apart. Du-du du-du du-du du-du...

Oh geez... the room thing. We really DID get to where we believed we were being stalked by security. Like... if they move in, we split up and go opposite ways :razz: . "Suspicious room booking jail" :lol: :lol: :lol: ~ too much! All the staff had to do was politely inform us that my room had a back door into the pool area and we'd have known to try the key in that door, when the front door wouldn't work. But NOOoooooo. They'd rather drive us straight into the world of Paranoid True Confessions.

Yeah, The Dive... have you worn your shirt? And the really spectacular gifts came from Greg! So unexpected and so delightful :D .

Yes, Kelsey... a full-family photo would be wonderful! And, yes, elusive Roman... I hope he'll be in Cracow... and, yes, Greg and Ann WILL be there... YaY! I have NO idea on future concerts for me. Not yet, that's for sure. It will have to be North America I think. Money's just not right for anywhere else... and, even then, it will be a challenge. I know what you mean about absences, but I can manage just only so much. Thanks for missing me.

You're right... these friendships for everyone are so special... those in England and Ireland and Wales... and us in the U.S.... small groups everywhere coming together in such special ways.

I may become a stranger [of sorts] in print, but you'll never be a stranger in my heart.

Love,
Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Postby ladydi on Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:30 am

Further to this story... First, we forget where we are parked at Red Rocks. If one has not been there, believe me, it is VERY VERY dark. Walk for 10 minutes in one direction...then realize car is in other direction, which means we need to walk back UP (dodging traffic that can't see us) and then DOWN in a completly different direction.

Thousands of cars are all attempting to exit Red Rocks at the same time.... :lol: :lol:

Finally make it out to the expessway. Mary calls my cell. There is ONE (only one) place in all of Denver that is open for drinks until about 1am...some Mexican joint. Mary says to meet up with them at a car dealership about a mile away. Okay..I make it. Then follow this SUV...we are talking on cellphones and in the background I can hear Onstar giving directions in that computerized voice. Drive, drive, drive....oops, suddenly lots of SUV's that look the same. Follow one (think it is Mary) into a residential area....oh no!! It's not...

My friend is saying...screw this and let's just get back to the hotel...er, he's no longer in a pleasant mood. :( I am totally LOST!!! I now put my brain into survival mode...drive for several miles...stop at a convenience store only to find that I am actually on the same street as the motel, but about 5 miles from it.

Finally arrive back to the motel....but am SOOOO sorry I missed the final get-together in Denver. You guys are ALL so wonderful!
ladydi

Postby ladydi on Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:48 am

MaryB wrote: That Holiday Inn must be jinxed. Lizzy and I could swear the room police were out to get us - trying to get into her room, key not working, help is on the way, oh no they're coming to get us, up and down paths and hallways, where are we, people eyeing us suspiciously, are they room police?... All because Diana tried to do Lizzy a favor. We lived in fear that we would do something wrong and get Diana in trouble and then we would be in trouble with Diana and we could also go to suspicious room booking jail :roll: :lol: Thankfully, because of a super reception desk clerk it all worked out.
With much affection,
Mary

:lol: :lol: I love it! "room-booking-jail"! YES, for about 10 minutes I was worried about that too! How funny....er, now! What an experience Denver/Red Rocks was! And yesterday (one year later) they were predicting a high of 94F! Come back to Red Rocks, Leonard!!!
ladydi

Postby mutti on Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:52 am

Mary! not half the woman she was...
but 40 lbs. lighter..I wish half the woman!
Thats my news that I was waiting to share until I see you all and until it reaches another 60.
Working hard and loving it
and loving all these memories!
good friends you all are!!!
Leslie (Mutti) :razz:
1988 Vancouver
mutti

Postby Womanfromaroom on Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:33 pm

MaryB wrote: [...]

Greg - a sweetheart of a man who is now with a sweetheart of a woman, Ann. How things work out! Greg, who came and gave us the privilege of getting to know him and to top it all off, bearing the most fantastic gifts also. These Australian concerts were announced and because of you, I thought 'can we do it'? (alas, no :cry: ). You have exposed us the the wonders of your beautiful country through your lovely photos and incredible posts. Someday......

Ann, how quickly you forget when you say you have yet to meet us face-to-face. We met in Barcelona. Remember, George was going to tell you all about Greg - did he? I was going to post a photo of us in Barca and then was it this photo that made my whole post disappear? Maybe we didn't meet :roll: :lol:
[...]
With much affection,
Mary

Oh, Mary - I only read your post now, sorry for not replying earlier! OF COURSE I remember meeting you - how could I forget you and George?! I think I used the wrong words, it didn't mean to imply I hadn't met you... And I have met Lizzy by now, too - in Krakow - and wonderful it was!

Lizzy, the photograph of me with Mary might not be the best one of me, either - love yours though! The slight "problem" with mine is that I had just taken off the Fedora, thus the somewhat messed-up hair... Maybe I should get a haircut like Leonard's?! Hmmm, but then, maybe not...

And thank you for your lovely, kind words about me and Greg. Would you believe it?! Him and me have been together for exactly one year now - ever since the late afternoon (German time) of August 21, 2009! 17:32, if you want the precise time...;-)
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Womanfromaroom

Postby MaryB on Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:29 pm

Womanfromaroom wrote: OF COURSE I remember meeting you - how could I forget you and George?!

'Busted in the blinding light' :lol:
Womanfromaroom wrote:Maybe I should get a haircut like Leonard's?!

NOOOOOOOO!
Womanfromaroom wrote: Him and me have been together for exactly one year now .;-)

My heartiest congratulations to you and Greg!

With much affection,
Mary
MaryB

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else