Hallelujah Lyrics

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
theguy4120

Hallelujah Lyrics

Post by theguy4120 »

I'm new here so forgive if I'm asking an obvious question! I understand there are as many as '80' verses to LC's Hallelujah and I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find all of the verses (whatever the true number is)??? Thanks! theguy
Maarten

Re: Hallelujah Lyrics

Post by Maarten »

More info here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8046
and
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13097

Try the "Search" button on the upper right corner to look for "hallelujah" and "verses".

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
theguy4120

Post by theguy4120 »

So I read thru all the posts I could find and it appears that people have been able to come up with only '8' total verses to Hallejulah and yet there is evidence to suggest many many more verses exist! Any additional verses to this magnificent song would be a wonderful thing for music, for love, for religion, for poetry, for life! Can someone ask LC to publish them for his old and new and ever increasing fan base???? theguy
margaret

Post by margaret »

I believe the other verses are in Leonard's personal notebooks, locked away until he decides to publish or donate them to somewhere of his choice.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Or they might be available here:
Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library (http://www.library.utoronto.ca/fisher/index.html)

See this (older) thread for details:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5629

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
margaret

Post by margaret »

Yes, that the place Maarten! Many boxes of Leonard's manuscripts are already there and no doubt the others will eventually find a home there.

Return to “Comments & Questions”