Ray Webster has passed away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Ray Webster has passed away

Post by jarkko »

We have got very sad news from the UK. Our long-time member and friend Ray Webster passed away on Wednesday.
I got to know Ray at the LC Events (starting long ago in 1998 in Lincoln, then Montreal, Hydra, and so on). He was
such a cheerful and positive person, always willing to help. We will miss him badly. Our sincere condolences to Pat
and Ray's children.
Jarkko
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Pete

Re: Ray Webster has passed away

Post by Pete »

This is very sad news indeed. Although I only met Ray a few times, he was such good company.
My thoughts are with his family.

Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Henning

Post by Henning »

I am shocked. I miss you already, Ray !
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

This is very sad to hear that Ray passed away. We are deeply afflicted by this sad news.
We have very good memories of Ray he was one of the first Cohenites we met on Hydra 2002. Our last meting with him and his children was during the concert and after the concert in the London O2. It’s unbelievable that we will not have a beer and a laugh together again.

Our sincere condolences to Pat and his children,
Willy and Wijbe
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

i received and passed on this news to jarkko earlier this evening as I thought it more appropriate that jarkko himself post up this terribly sad news on the forum….

i don’t if folk knew but ray was a long-term dylan fan who I’ve met at many a dylan concert over the years……it was a bonus for me that we also a had a mutual love of leonard as that entailed even more meetups at events and concerts………ray was one of those wonderful people that when he approached you always saw his smile almost before you saw the rest of him…he was a lovely and warm man full of humour who will be sadly missed by all those who knew him…..condolences to Pat and the children….if anybody in the UK wants the details of his funeral which is next monday (15th.) in rothley, leicester please pm or email me….

my favourite personal ray story was when we were in new york for the 2004 event…. before the trip i had spent ages reading up on dylan’s time and adventures in greenwich village during the sixties and had a list of all the bob related sites I wanted to visit in the village…….when I arrived at dylan’s old house at 92/94 mcdougall street I duly took the usual photos before moving on to the next shrine…….when I saw ray that evening I eagerly told him about my visit to the village and reeled off all the bob related places I had visited…when it came to bob’s house on mcdougall he asked if I had touched the front door knob and I had to admit that I hadn’t…..to which ray proudly boasted that he had touched the knob on many occasions….so after that whenever we met he always referred to me as ‘the man who has never touched bob dylan’s knob’……so just for ray next time I’m in new york I will make doubly sure that I will indeed touch bob dylan’s knob….rest in peace…..ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
dar

Post by dar »

It is heartbreaking to know that Ray, another founding member of this community, has passed away. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the NYC event and enjoyed visiting over a glass of wine and sharing a wonderful conversation.
My thoughts, prayers, and condolences go out to his friends and family.
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

This is such sad news. I will remember Ray for the wonderfully warm, engaging and welcoming person he was for me – I regret that I never caught up with him in Leicester (which he had invited me to do).

I offer my condolences to Pat, Stewart (his son, whom I met in Berlin) and to other family members.

You are fondly remembered Ray!

Andrew
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
markcarversmith

Post by markcarversmith »

Pat has asked me to contact you with the details of Rays funeral. I spoke to her earlier and she has enough to think about and of course is naturally upset.

A non religous service will be held as follows.

Monday 15th February 11.45am.

Loughborough Crematorium
Leicester Rd
Loughborough
LE11 2AF

And afterwards all are invited to

The Royal Oak
The Green
Rothley
LE7 7PF

for a celebration of Rays life. If you are intending to come to The Royal Oak please email miffymiffymotor@aol.com so we have some idea of numbers to cater for.

Ray asked that no flowers or wreaths be sent but donations to cancer research will be gratefully received.
andrea

Post by andrea »

We are also shocked and very sorry for this really sad news.
We have so nice memories in several event occasions like Hydra, New York, Berlin, London .
We will miss him too and wish to send our deepest condolence to his family.
Ray will remain in our mind as a special person.

Andrea & Marco from Verona
1976 june Zürich (both evenings)
2008 july london - july loerrach - july lucca - october berlin - october milan - november london
2009 july koeln - august venice - september barcelona
2010: july salzburg - september florence- - december las vegas
2012: august ghent - september berlin - verona
2013: august pula - august Zürich
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

The first time I met Ray was at the New York Event and his warmth and great humour were palpable. He was ebullient with joie de vivre. He was looking around and, as I was part of the welcoming and registration committee, I asked him if I could help him. He very joyfully responded that he was searching for his dear friend, Lizzie Madder. When I'd see them later, laughing and enjoying themselves together, it was clear they shared a very special bond and friendship. Ray was simply one of those men whose great charm and presence light up a room. He was also a very lovely, kind, and open man, which made everything else all the better. His face was one of those beautiful ones that was all smiles and sparkling eyes and his voice was filled with laughter. Ray embodied his name.

My heart is with Pat and his children. How terribly you must miss him. It's unfathomable that he is gone. I'm so sorry for your deep loss. My heart is with you.

May you rest in peace, dear Ray.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Anne

Post by Anne »

It is terribly sad to read this news. I met Ray on a number of occasions and he was always a complete delight. He was so much fun to talk with on practically any topic. I remember us having a long conversation about art when we were in a bar in Berlin. We could bond on more than just are shared music loves. He was such a great conversationalist. What a gentleman!

I will miss him.

My sympathies go to his family.
Anne
dick

Post by dick »

Linda and I have many fond memories of Ray -- frequently with his good friend - Lizzie Madder. His passing is a huge loss to the Cohen community. Sympathetic concerns for his family.

dick
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Ray's passing has been also noted on the Dylan website Expecting Rain........

http://expectingrain.com/

ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
LizzieMadder

Post by LizzieMadder »

Ray's death leaves a big space in my heart. He was a very dear friend.

Ray and I first met when I was organising the Cohen event in Lincoln, and discovered that one of the attendees also lived in Leicestershire. We met many times from then on, to spend evenings together in Leicester - lots of drinking and dancing to Irish music at Molly O'Gradys, late night Italian suppers. Ray lived life to the full. He wouldn't drink from Monday to Thursday but, oh boy, he would make up for it on a Thursday night! He was there for all the small Cohen gatherings at The Musician and Phoenix Theatre. He gave me much support and advice when my marriage and life were falling apart whilst he had already divorced and then met and fallen in love with Pat. But mostly, I will always remember him as the most excellent travelling companion a person could have. I have so many fond memories of the trips to Montreal, New York, Hydra...

How can I ever forget the party on Hydra and that superb apartment we rented. (However, I can also remember coming off worse in the fight over which bed I was having ... and found myself in the small child's bed on the mezzanine floor, after the owner brought in extra bedding!! Apparently, she thought that we were 'a couple' and had only made up the double bed. :-D)

How can I forget our 24-hour dash to Quebec City - He efficiently hired a car, and we booked into the most expensive hotel (a typical Ray-trait, he never wanted cheap rooms), then straight out on the town to practice our French and eat and drink and explore, and even when we were making our way back to the hotel much inebriated, we could hear music coming from a bar and stepped inside, that was two in the morning...... five in the morning we crawled off to our beds. At eight, we were up anticipating a morning of sightseeing only to find there was torrential rain, but Ray wasn't daunted. Immediately, he was on the phone to a tour bus company and we were dressed, breakfasted and waiting at the door at nine for a whistle-stop tour. Mid-afternoon, we were back on the road to Montreal. With Ray, sleep was something you did when you went home!!

How can I forget the magical stay on the lakes north of Montreal (where was that?) for Jack's 50th birthday, kayaking at midnight, sitting in the garden with blankets around us, watching the Northern Lights.

He was also very much a family man. He loved his family. He was very proud of his daughters, Pat's daughters, his son and grandchildren.

Ray never wasted a minute of his life. I thank him for allowing me to share some of them. I will remember him with much love and affection.

My heart goes out to Pat and all his family.

Lizzie
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi Lizzie

Thanks heaps for so expansively sharing the lovely times and relationship you enjoyed with Ray and at the same time giving us a deeper appreciation of the wonderful person he was! 8)

Regards,
Andrew
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~

Return to “News”