CONCERT REPORT: Chicago, October 29

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
DrHGuy

CONCERT REPORT: Chicago, October 29

Post by DrHGuy »

The Chicago concert was - yes - another great performance.

Oh, and Leonard Cohen playing that "other blues song" of his for the first time in concert was nice too.

Yep, it's not the same old song. In yesterday's soundcheck, Cohen referred to it only as "that other blues song," and it's been played in the past few soundchecks but never before in concert. My faulty memory has the first line as "I feel so good now, baby, that I don't love you like I did." However paraphrased that may be, that sentiment does encompass the song's theme. The song also uses the image of taking the blindfold off and saying "let this prisoner live" and (in another verse) "let this prisoner free." In another line, the singer declares that it's like having a broken heart that belongs to someone else.

The bad news is that my recall of the lyrics is obviously horrid; the good news is that Al Noonan, Cohen concert videographer extraordinaire, was on hand last night and tells me he captured the new song on camera. Once again, Al Noonan is in the right place at the right time.

I have much more about yesterday but I also have a family crisis or two to clean up and, rumor has it, a blog to write, so that report will have to wait.
Last edited by DrHGuy on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Chicago, October 29

Post by lizzytysh »

Well, thanks for all you were able to give, Dr. Guy. It sounds [un-checked] that there is a definite album in the making coming along with the group as they travel. Thanks to Leonard for these glimpses through those like you.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

I second Lizzy's thanks for your early report, Dr Heck. Good stuff! It is so nice to see you, a local fan extarordinaire, kick off the Chicago concert thread with an enticing preview of more reports to come.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

The "other blues song" finally made it into a concert! Wow! Hopefully it will be there for either Las Vegas and/or San Jose! Can't wait to view Albert's video. Assuming this is the "Darkness"...especially like the line "I don't like your sticky little buns"...or are those the dreaded mis-heard lyrics!

Thanks DrH Guy! and looking forward to the other reviews that should start coming in this morning!
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

Nope - it's not "The Darkness." It's the other blues song.
Actually

Post by Actually »

Are there any videos on Youtube...? Usually, I'm not keen on too much footage of concerts I haven't been to, because... well... because I haven't been there and other people were the lucky ones, but this is really something I want to hear/see. :lol:
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

DrHGuy wrote:Nope - it's not "The Darkness." It's the other blues song.
Now my curiousity is REALLY high!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Wow Allan - you were witness to not just "another great performance" but also a world premiere of a new Leonard Cohen song - a song you report to be "exquisite."

"That other blues song?" Haha! Oh - that one. :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the wonderful breaking news. Glad you could be there. And looking forward to hearing (and seeing) more!
Florian

Post by Florian »

Fresh on Youtube now, here is Alberts Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oamvw_WFiZc
IrishAL

New Song from Chicago

Post by IrishAL »

It was great to be in Chicago for the Concert and it was even better to hear a new song.
I don't know the name yet !

I uploaded it to youtube under Chicago "new song". I will change this when I have a name.

Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oamvw_WFiZc

Albert
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
bridger15

Re: New Song from Chicago

Post by bridger15 »

Absolutely fabulous, Albert! Thank you so much for capturing this new song and sharing it with all of us.
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

That's so awesome! It's so cool to see Leonard groovin' on his guitar! And another new, bluesey song! I'm going to love his new album (whenever it may happen)! Thanks for sharing this! I wonder what other little surprises Leonard has in store for the rest of the tour?
astranger

Post by astranger »

that is exquisite! I really hope he goes into the studio sometime soon after the tour; I know he needs his rest, but I would love one to come out next year!
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
A Brick in the Wall

Post by A Brick in the Wall »

It was another enchanted evening with Joe & Ann Way and his spectactular family that was topped off by the new song.

I wish all of you had been there.
Chicago May 5 & 6 - Chicago Oct. 29 - 2009
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Golly Gee Albert - Thanks so much for this!!!!!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”