Barcelona Celebration 20 and 21-09-2009

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Juan Luis Corcobado

Ovación

Post by Juan Luis Corcobado »

No sé si, finalmente, se celebrará el concierto de Barcelona, pero, si se confirma, estoy seguro de que la ovación cuando Leonard aparezca en el escenario será memorable. Confío en que alguien grabe en vídeo ese momento.

I do not know if, finally, the concert will be held in Barcelona, but, if confirmed, I am sure that the ovation when Leonard appears on the stage will be memorable. I hope someone videotaped this time (I'm sorry for my English. I apologize for mistakes)
Juan Luis Corcobado Cartes
Pal. Deportes de Madrid 1993 | Passeio Marítimo de Algés Lisboa 2008 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2009 | Pal. Deportes de Madrid 2009 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2010 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2012 | The O2 Dublin 2013
corcobado[at]gmail.com
PanCogito

Re: Barcelona Celebration 20 and 21-09-2009

Post by PanCogito »

Erev. Eve. The day begins with the evening. Leonard Cohen’s 75th birthday starts on Sunday, September 20, 2009 evening. I’m peaty sure that this will be the most beautiful evening for Leonard Cohen friends attending pre-concert dinner. I should be among you but I had to stop, I had to stop to listen. I used to be as fit as a fiddle but right now I was pushed to be on the mend. Everybody knows that Leonard is on the mend too, so let’s dedicate this evening to his well being, to his health. Let me raise my glass (Spanish wine-Altos De La Hoya) in a toast to his health.
CHEERS!!!!
NA ZDROWIE!!!
LE-CHAYYIM!!
SALUD!!!

Roman
kind regards -דרישת שלום
roman - pan cogito- מר קוגיטו
העובדה שאני שותק לא אומרת שאין לי מה להגיד - The fact that I am being silent doesn't mean that I have nothing to say
|1985Wroclaw|1988Stuttgart|2008Montreal|2009 New York RC| MSG|Red Rocks |Las Vegas |2012Aalborg| Denver|Chicago|2013Milwaukee
sue7

Post by sue7 »

PanCogito wrote:Erev. Eve. The day begins with the evening. Leonard Cohen’s 75th birthday starts on Sunday, September 20, 2009 evening. I’m peaty sure that this will be the most beautiful evening for Leonard Cohen friends attending pre-concert dinner. I should be among you but I had to stop, I had to stop to listen. I used to be as fit as a fiddle but right now I was pushed to be on the mend. Everybody knows that Leonard is on the mend too, so let’s dedicate this evening to his well being, to his health. Let me raise my glass (Spanish wine-Altos De La Hoya) in a toast to his health.
CHEERS!!!!
NA ZDROWIE!!!
LE-CHAYYIM!!
SALUD!!!

Roman
I raise my glass with you, Roman (well, I don't have the Spanish wine...).
To those of you lucky enough to be in Barcelona:
the rest of us are and will be thinking of you. I'm sure the celebration will be wonderful, and I hope that all goes well with the concert on Monday evening.
Best wishes,
Sue
SuzanneT

Post by SuzanneT »

Also, I pour a glass of good wine and drink to the health of Leonard and all of you who will be lucky to live with him a magical evening of his birthday concert. Just let him and will last health :!: :!:
I'm sorry that there can not be with you ... :cry:
What you have now is what you were, and what you will is what you do now...Buddha
Above the graves of those painful sheds tears for the unspoken words and deeds missed...Elizabeth Harriet Beecher Stowe
Paula

Post by Paula »

I wish I could be with you all too but I know you will all do us proud. I hope there will be a singing of "Happy Birthday to you" and I hope to see it on here or you tube. Have a great time all those who can't be there will be thinking of you lot who can.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
nidzony

Post by nidzony »

Happy Birthday dear Leonard.
tomsakic

Text message from Jarkko in Barcelona

Post by tomsakic »

Text message from Jarkko in Barcelona.
Jarkko wrote: The film screening was success. Wight film received with enthousiasm. Meet-up venue perfect and food delicious. Jorcx did wonderful 2h gig. The Barcelona team has created a most memorable gathering for the Forum members.
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

Happy birthday Leonard. Sorry I can't make Barcelona but I will have the O2 DVD on. Best wishes
Jim
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
jorcx

Post by jorcx »

It was really a fantastic Event and Leonard concert in Barcelona, thank you so much everybody who joined in for your support and good spirits, and especially Maarten and Jarkko for their collaboration... We hope to see some photos of everything soon!
Jordi
Barcelona 15th May '93 | Dublin 13th June '08 | Lucca 27th July '08 | London 17th November '08 | Cap Roig 15th August '09 | Barcelona 21st September '09 | Barcelona 3rd October '12
Chema

Post by Chema »

Great meeting in Barcelona and amazing activities. Special thanks to Maarten
ForYourSmile

review

Post by ForYourSmile »

Juan Luis Corcobado wrote:I do not know if, finally, the concert will be held in Barcelona, but, if confirmed, I am sure that the ovation when Leonard appears on the stage will be memorable. I hope someone videotaped this time (I'm sorry for my English. I apologize for mistakes)
Juan Luis, as you predicted, the ovation was memorable. I do not know if it is on youtube, but this afternoon I saw it on TV3 (Catalan TV), I've recorded and it is at your disposal. Thank you for your contributions and do not limit yourself by your English, worse is the mine.
PanCogito wrote:...Let me raise my glass (Spanish wine-Altos De La Hoya) in a toast to his health...
These days we drunk something, yes, and we raised our glass in a toast to him, too. His health? We saw him great. We have Cohen for years. Take care.
PanCogito wrote:...Erev. Eve. The day begins with the evening. Leonard Cohen’s 75th birthday starts on Sunday, September 20, 2009 evening. ...
Just when Leonard Cohen’s 75th birthday started, we were singing together with Jorcx "Suzanne". It was a magical moment for me.

The Jorcx's concert was wonderful. Lluís Tintoré accompanied him on piano. Viewing the largely foreign audience he sung in English with something in Catalan. Many surprises in a very wide repertoire: the wonderful "Memories" or "Stories of the Street".

Also Lluís recited in Spanish the poem "A Thousand Kisses Deep" (Book of Longing) in the photo Alberto Manzano looks after the translation

A most fun part was the sketch of a telephone conversation with Leonard Cohen.

At the end "So Long Marianne" and "Suzanne". Share this music fills me with deep feeling and happiness.

This wilful bunch of Barcelona, with Bea we are eight, has been in Jorcx our real engine, as five years ago, without him this would not have worked.

Maarten managed everything perfectly, the cash and so on, thanks. From Jarkko, what can I say...? Cohen said it at the end of the concert. Today, in a Spanish newspaper one description: "Jarkko Arjatsalo no responde a la imagen arquetípica del fan fatal. Es un señor de unos 50 años largos, habla con tranquilidad y sin alzar nunca una palabra más que la anterior. Es la típica persona a la que no cuesta dirigirse de manera afable porque todo él exuda educación en el trato..." (Jarkko Arjatsalo not meet the archetypal image of the fan fatal. He is a man of about 50 long years, speaks quietly and without shout up a word never as the before. It's the typical person who is not hard speak in a pleasant way because everything he exudes gentle education in the relationship... ". Maybe that is the reason why the "Cohen troupe", as the newspaper says, is for me exquisite, charming and beautiful. Therefore it has been a pleasure to take part in these activities. Thank you very much to all, one by one.

We were insisting that Leonard should have a cake in his 75th Birthday in behalf of Leonard Cohen Files Forum's members and friends. We delivered it on the Palau door agreed with the card with your signature. We do not know its final destination.

The team's gift was a book of drawings by Federico García Lorca. After some hesitation, we gave it to someone like Ed Sanders.

Last edited by ForYourSmile on Thu May 01, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jorcx

Post by jorcx »

Thanks for all the photos and report, Toni:
The Tribute-Concert was really successful thanks to everyone who helped me out singing, it was amazing to hear and lip-read all the complete lyrics from so many friendly and encouraging Cohenites' faces who obviously knew all the songs by heart and unlike me needed not any kind of text. For your interest, here is the actual setlist that was played on that Birthday Celebration Night:

- Valset Vienès ("Take This Waltz" in Catalan)
- First We Take Manhattan
- Bird On The Wire
- Everybody Knows
- Sisters Of Mercy
- Stories Of The Street
- Winter Lady
- Ain't No Cure For Love
- I'm Your Man
- Chelsea Hotel
- Memories
- A Mil Besos De Profundidad ("Thousand Kisses Deep" recitation in Spanish)
- A Thousand Kisses Deep
- Alexandra Leaving
- Al·leluia ("Hallelujah" in Catalan)
- Famous Blue Raincoat
- So Long Marianne
- One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong
- Suzanne

Jorcx: Voice and guitar
Lluís Tintoré: Piano and recitation
Last edited by jorcx on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barcelona 15th May '93 | Dublin 13th June '08 | Lucca 27th July '08 | London 17th November '08 | Cap Roig 15th August '09 | Barcelona 21st September '09 | Barcelona 3rd October '12
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

HarryMann in CONCERT REPORT: Barcelona, September 21 (Leonard's birthday) wrote:Where do we talk about the tribute concert by Jorcx at the Sala Vivaldi on the Sunday night?

Jorcx is very talented and must love this hard work - to be able to sing so many of Leonard´s songs in Catalan as well as perfect English - I hope one day he is introduced to Leonard.

Thankyou Jorx, it is nice to know that Leonard´s lyrics and music is made more accessible to Spanish people by your study and interpretations 8)

Thankyou for the free concert :)
;-)
Juan Luis Corcobado

Re: review

Post by Juan Luis Corcobado »

Many thanks for your offer. I have sent you two emails from the forum, but I'm not sure that you have received it, because I do not receive confirmation.
Un cordial saludo.
Juan Luis Corcobado Cartes
Pal. Deportes de Madrid 1993 | Passeio Marítimo de Algés Lisboa 2008 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2009 | Pal. Deportes de Madrid 2009 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2010 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2012 | The O2 Dublin 2013
corcobado[at]gmail.com
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

I just want to say thanks to the organisers of the birthday events, I had a fantastic time and was so impressed with the effort you went to, thank you :D

Jorcx - really enjoyed the concert and loved what you did with Leonard's songs. Thank for playing Memories - one of my favourites, and I know I'll never hear Leonard play it live, you are the next best thing :lol:
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”