CONCERT REPORT: Prague, August 29

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
DenisaR

Post by DenisaR »

Thank you Leonard! Thank you so much!! I really appreciate that I've had an opportunity to hear you and see you live in Prague 29.8.2009
That was unforgettable and great time for me. You will forever stay in my heart and mind!
Thank you very much again. We LOVE YOU!!!
Denisa, 21 years, Czech Republic
SuzanneC

Post by SuzanneC »

NEVER STOP LEONARD!

One day after I can't (as usually) stop feeling like something heavenly touched us all in Prague yesterday. It was my fourth concert in last 12 months but it seems it is still not enough. But unfortunately that what started last September in Prague and continued in Berlin and London ended perhaps forever yesterday again in Prague. Never say never but I am really not sure if Leonard plans to do one more year of this great job :D
Yesterday's concert was full of everything what we already know: 3,5 hours of Leonard's greatest hits, The Webb Sisters' cartwheels, the velvet voice of Sharon Robinson, amazing guitar mastership of Javier Mas and unbeliaveble and still improving breath possibilities of Dino Soldo :D
Two new songs was added to the set list during this second Prague concert: Lover, Lover, Lover and really greatly played Waiting for the Miracle.

First set
1. Dance Me to the End of Love
2. The Future
3. Ain't No Cure for Love
4. Bird On The Wire
5. Everybody Knows
6. In My Secret Life
7. Who By Fire?
8. Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye
9. Lover Lover Lover
10. Waiting for the Miracle
11. Anthem

Second set
1. Tower of Song
2. Suzanne
3. Sisters of Mercy
4. The Gypsy's Wife
5. The Partisan
6. Boogie Street
7. Hallelujah
8. I'm Your Man
9. Take This Waltz

First encores
1. So Long, Marianne
2. First We Take Manhattan

Second encores
1. Famous Blue Raincoat
2. If It Be Your Will
3. Closing Time

Final Encores
1. I Tried To Leave You
2. Whither Thou Goest

What say when everything was already said on this forum during those past months...
Maybe just that one from Leonard's song touchs me to the heart on each concert but if doesn't, his final words make me cry always: "May you be surround by family and friends and if this is not your lot, may the blessings find you in your solitude."

Leonard thank you again (and never sufficiently) for this last year full of your music and kind patience with us, fans completely mad about you.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
MarCis

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Prague, August 29

Post by MarCis »

As we (me and my husband) saw excellent and superb gig in Prague last year, we were curious (and little bit doubtful, I have to admit it). Will we see the same Leonard Cohen anyway? A year “on the road” has to be tiring. From first song of yesterdays gig we were excited and astonished again. Leonard Cohen is excellent always. His voice is even more deeply and even more velvety than last year. And his band harmonized to him also more and more. LC himself looks full of energy yet more, by every concert. We can feel, how he hand out his energy to audience and conversely. I have to admire (enviously) how many times he kneeled down and risen during the evening (ah, my knees….). And I have to remark of course again his respect and humility to his co-worker and to auditors.
Prague set list was little richer again than in some previous concerts (we heard Gypsy Wife and – it seems that Leonard Cohen fancied our City himself). Auditory return to him a long and repeated applause. At the end, when Leonard Cohen sang encore “I tried to leave you”, we have to say “yes, thank to you very much“. Leonard Cohen with little smile seems to be satisfied also. I want to hope it! Prague concert was superb again – I hope not only for me.
Thank you, Mr. Leonrad, for your work and voice, and thank you for the nice time spent in the company with You!
Last edited by MarCis on Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Great comment by a blogger
http://www.redroom.com/blog/dale-estey/ ... arth-today
PRAGUE IS HEAVEN ON EARTH TODAY
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by Dale Estey
August 30, 2009, 7:17 am

Last night Leonard Cohen gave a performance in Prague. So, for some hours (maybe a day) Prague is graced with two geniuses of the written word. Sure - one quick and one dead - but one can't be picky when dealing with geniuses.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
ronnievv

CONCERT REPORT - Prague

Post by ronnievv »

I'll be short, because I would have to repeat my rave reviews of past concerts. Just a few comments: The atmosphere was great, the audience went with Leonard from beginning to end, listening where theyshould listen, applauding where they should applaud, letting Leonard speak when he wanted to, and mostly knowing whether a song ends or not - stark contrast with Berlin (my last review) where the atmosphere was more like circus. :cry:
New addition to setlist (I think) - Gipsy Wife (on demand from audience - big banner with the title of song :idea: ) I was livid I hadn't thought about that myself (only mine would be Alexandra Leaving). :)
And: It struck me again how much Leonard was giving us. Every time I saw him, I saw a man in peace with himself, a man who didn't need to impress, to strive for anything, to prove anything to anybody. He was just giving, giving, giving. Unbelievable, unforgettable evenings all. Thank you so much, Leonard.
Last edited by ronnievv on Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Veronika: Prague 2008/Berlin 2009/Bratislava 2009/Prague 2009/Prague 2013...
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Thanks, Bridger, what a great quote! And Wow, is that ever a great photo of Leonard on that blog (just scroll down, folks)! It's worth clicking on the link to see the delight on his face! :D
highw61

Leonard Cohen Praha 29.8.2009 O2 Arena

Post by highw61 »

Hi folks
I've posted some pics from Praha concert.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/highw61/

Paolo
DenisaR

Post by DenisaR »

Leonard, THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I have travelled to Prague hundreds of kilometers because of you... And I would do it again and again and again if I could.
Please come back to Prague next year...
Worth living because of YOU!
forever yours
Denisa, 21 years, Czech Republic - South Moravia region
Jiri

Post by Jiri »

Excellent evening with unique music and charming atmosphere. Thanks Mr Cohen for coming again to Prague. It was really privilige for me to have the chance to see and hear you singing.
naf nehoC dranoeL

Post by naf nehoC dranoeL »

"May you be surrounded by family and friends and if this is not your lot, may the blessings find you in your solitude."
Believe me, I am a true fan, but this sentence is starting to get on my nerves now.
Heard that phrase during the past tour at every single performance.
How come a great poet like LC is not capable of refreshing a one-liner once in a while?

I see nothing new during the 2008/2009 tours.
Except maybe the Webb sisters doing some acrobatics (lasting 2 seconds).

Only Dino seems to understand me :D

Greetz all
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Denik.cz
http://www.denik.cz/hudba/cohen-stale-s ... 90830.html

Cohen: Stále stejná krásná písnička

Praha - Kanadský písničkář znovu přivedl pražské publikum do stavu fascinace.
LC-Prague.jpg
LC-Prague.jpg (9.92 KiB) Viewed 16317 times

Sobotní koncert Leonarda Cohena v pražské O2 Areně byl velmi podobný vystoupení minulému. Ale ani trochu to nevadilo, ostatně proč měnit dokonalé. V následujících řádcích by stačilo zopakovat loňskou nadšenou recenzi i tip na koncert roku.

Oproti předchozí Cohenově návštěvě samozřejmě došlo na několik menších změn. Písničkář lehce promíchal pořadí písní, i když výstavba úvodu i finále koncertu zůstala shodná. V dotažené dramaturgii představení nezela ani jediná prázdná vteřina.

V první části vystoupení Cohen v Praze poprvé zazpíval písně Lover Lover Lover a především sugestivně v pokleku, s nesmírnou pokorou Waiting For The Mirracle, která se stala jedním z vrcholů „horského pásma“ magických okamžiků. Naopak vypustil třeba Democracy, jejíž ironie mu zřejmě již nepřišla tak aktuální. Ale především: Samotný Cohen byl, ač jde možná o subjektivní dojem, ještě uvolněnější. Místo únavy z dlouhého turné si vystupování snad ještě víc vychutnával.

Někdy Cohen opakoval podobné věty, jako poděkování za privilegium prožití klidného večera ve světě plném chaosu před písní Anthem. A ony věty měly stejnou platnost. Občas zopakoval stejný vtípek, jako „jste laskaví“ v aplausu na „jednoprsté“ sólo na samohrajku v Tower Of Song. A vtipy také stejně dobře zabíraly. Nejdůležitější konstantou však zůstalo samotné provedení skladeb, ve kterém se potkávala muzikantská svrchovanost a virtuozita s procítěností a přesvědčivostí.

Cohenova kapela nemá jediný slabší článek. Javier Mas vytvořil doslova mystickou atmosféru pro píseň Who By Fire úvodním sólem na španělský archilaúd. Zpěvačka Sharon Robinson udělala z Boogie Street soulový majstrštyk. Neil Larsen umocnil vyznění balady Hallelujah přesně vyváženým sólem na hammondky, které mělo sílu vhánět slzy do očí, podobně jako křehké, akustické provedení If It Be Your Will sestrami Webbovými.

Cohen sám sebe nikdy nepovažoval za velkého muzikanta, ale krom talentu básníka a trubadúra má ještě jiný dar: uchvátit publikum třeba jen tím, jak rozjařeně veskotačí na scénu. Je nedostižný vypravěč, uhrančivým hlasem dokáže vtáhnout posluchače přímo do nitra příběhu písně. V jedné chvíli dojímá, v další baví ironickým podtextem, v zápětí nastíní tísnivou vizi či nostalgickou náladu a všechny emoce jsou naplno. V podstatě prostinké melodie jako Bird On The Wire, Suzanne či So Long, Marianne se díky Cohenově charismatu dávno potkaly s genialitou starých mistrů.

Právě Cohenovo charisma, nadčasovost repertoáru i mistrovské provedení dělají z každého písničkářova zjevení na scéně událost málem obřadnou. Nepřekvapuje chuť skalních fanoušků dopřát si hned několik navazujících vystoupení Cohenova turné. Kdyby se stal malý zázrak a Maestro přijel ještě jednou, byť s nachlup stejným programem, netřeba váhat s opakovanou návštěvou koncertu.

Tomáš S. Polívka
And the "pure" Google translation:

Cohen: Still the same beautiful song

Prague - Canadian songwriter once again brought the Prague audience into a state of fascination.

Saturday Concert Leonard Cohen in Prague O2 Arena was very similar performance to last. But even some do not mind, moreover, why change perfection. In the following lines would be enough to repeat last year's enthusiastic review of the tip of the concert.

Cohen compared with the previous visit, of course, a few minor changes. Songwriter gently mix the order of songs, even though the beginning of construction of the final concert remained the same. In tight dramatic performances nezela not a single empty second.

In the first part of the Cohen show in Prague for the first time he sang the song Lover Lover Lover and especially in the knee suggestively, with great humility Waiting For The Miracle, which became one of the highlights of "mountain range" magic moments. On the contrary, to be launched Democracy, the irony, he seemed to have come up. But above all: Cohen was alone, though it may be a subjective impression, yet relaxed. Instead of fatigue from a long tour of the behavior even more enjoying.

Sometimes Cohen repeated similar phrases such as thank you for the privilege of living a quiet evening in a world of chaos before the song Anthem. And they have the same force of the sentence. Sometimes repeated the same joke, like "you kind" in the applause for "jednoprsté 'solo samohrajku in Tower Of Song. And the jokes just as well taken up. Most important, however, remained constant track design itself, in which the sovereignty and musicians met with procítěností virtuosity and conviction.

Cohen's band has a single weak link. Javier Mas literally created a mystical atmosphere to the song Who By Fire kickoff to the Spanish archilaúd. Singer Sharon Robinson made from Boogie Street majstrštyk soul. Neil Larsen compound the tone of the ballad Hallelujah precisely balanced Sole hammondky, which had the power injected tears, like the delicate, acoustic design If It Be Your Will Webbovými sisters.

Cohen never considered himself a great musician, but also talented poet and troubadour is yet another gift to electrify audiences even how cheerfully veskotačí the scene. It is incomparable storyteller, uhrančivým voice can draw the listener into the very heart of the story song. At one point touches, in another ironic subtext fun, then banned outlines the precarious vision or nostalgic mood and emotions are all full. In essence, very simple songs like Bird On The Wire, Suzanne and So Long, Marianne, thanks to Cohen's charisma long ago met with brilliance old masters.

Now Cohen's charisma, timelessness repertoire and masterful design makes each písničkářova apparition on the scene almost ceremonial event. Surprising taste of rock fans indulge several successive appearances Cohen's tour. If he was a little miracle and Maestro came again, albeit with nachlup same program, we need not hesitate to re-visit the concert.

Thomas S. Polivka
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

naf nehoC dranoeL wrote:
"May you be surrounded by family and friends and if this is not your lot, may the blessings find you in your solitude."
Believe me, I am a true fan, but this sentence is starting to get on my nerves now.
Heard that phrase during the past tour at every single performance.
How come a great poet like LC is not capable of refreshing a one-liner once in a while?
Because the man with the beautiful soul is too humble to break a tradition which he himself started.

The verses of the Priestly Blessing (Birkat Kohanim), upon which he bases his final concert words,
are among the oldest in continuous liturgical use. Archaeologists found the words etched on silver scrolls found in tombs from the seventh century BCE. (Numbers 6:24-26)
Leonard Cohen has been invoking his adaptation of the Priestly Blessings for only 15 months .
Last edited by bridger15 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

audies

Post by audies »

I am so glad I made it to Prague! excellent venue. Great concert. Overall, I found the band more relaxed and the new songs rejuvenated a concert that many of us have come to know well. That familiarity in many ways makes the experience more special.

I was sitting very near the stage and was annoyed by the occasional reverb, but apart from that, it was a brilliant concert.
Kilmainham x 3 / Lucca x 1 / O2 Dublin x 3 / Venice x 1 / Prague x 1 / Sligo x 2 / Bratislava x 1
ronnievv

Post by ronnievv »

Thank you, bridger15, for the quotation - I was curious about that - so ancient, so timeless, so poetic. Amazing, how words this old could very easily be Leonard's own - I would be first to believe that it was he who had written them :)
Veronika: Prague 2008/Berlin 2009/Bratislava 2009/Prague 2009/Prague 2013...
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

ronnievv wrote:Thank you, bridger15, for the quotation - I was curious about that - so ancient, so timeless, so poetic. Amazing, how words this old could very easily be Leonard's own - I would be first to believe that it was he who had written them :)
I apologize for misleading you. I sent you a PM. I removed the Tower of Song lines from my post. I was just trying to be sarcastic to the complainer.

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”