Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen's song?

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Stamatina

Re: Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen's song?

Post by Stamatina »

Probably Dance Me To The End Of Love, because I have a whole story behind it. I first heard it and loved at the age of ten, a time when I couldn't even understand it (I couldn't speak English, I'm not a native speaker). After listening to it about fifty times in three days I got bored and looked for something else (how foolish of me). I heard it on the radio just a few months ago (three years later) and remembering what a nice songs it is, I downloaded it and then started looking for more songs of the same artist, out of curiosity and soon enough I had the whole discography. Since January I've been listening almost nothing else but Cohen and I think if it hadn't been for this one song I wouldn't have discovered him.

I do believe it's a masterpiece. The lyrics, the music, the voices, everything is perfect. So many beautiful images crossing my mind everytime I hear it. Simply beautiful. :) :)
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Absolutely impossible to pick just one. Sorry, can't be done. Too many gems, they're almost all gems, how could one possibly choose? This question is a form of torture and should be banned!

(I just attempted to do my list of favourites from each album, and while I broke the rules by choosing two from each, I actually feel guilty about the songs I omitted, as if I have committed some kind of serious disservice in that I have slighted them, and they did not deserve to be ignored.)
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

The majority of posts under this topic quite rightly say that their favourite L C songs change from day to day , week to week etc,etc so the question should be as follows : If you were marooned on a desert island and could only take one recording of a Leonard song which would it be ? Now thats torture !
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Heighway61

Post by Heighway61 »

liptrot wrote:The majority of posts under this topic quite rightly say that their favourite L C songs change from day to day , week to week etc,etc so the question should be as follows : If you were marooned on a desert island and could only take one recording of a Leonard song which would it be ? Now thats torture !
If I absolutely had to choose, it would be So Long, Marianne
No success like failure
iveta

Post by iveta »

mother im frightened the thunder and lightning
ill never get trough this alone
she said ill be with you my shawl wrapped around you my hand on your hair when you go....and the night comes on it veryyy long i wanted the night to go on and on

back at the university, i could listen "the night comes on" over and over again for fifteen or twenty times...my flatmates used to make remarks such as if i am planning to let him lose his mother for twenty second time today i should pay for the prozac :)
Of course I´m pathetic, I´ve spent my life getting the most impressive stuff out of the most impressive books. Malcolm Bradbury
Lota

Post by Lota »

Of course, it always changes, but I would say Marianne is always all right with me. I have loved and loved this song although it is always in head to head competition with Bird On a Wire.
If I am going to that desert island, I am taking one LC CD with me, certainly.

Lota
ali2009

it seems that "lover lover lover" will be at the tour

Post by ali2009 »

ive told you/ its no 1.
slapperoonie

Post by slapperoonie »

Oh my! I'm quite new to all this... I listen to Leonard Cohen every day now on my way home from work in my car, and I seem to get stuck on a different song almost every day and keep repeating it - today it was Bird on a Wire off the Live in London CD (love the arrangement!)... some days it's Famous Blue Raincoat... the Gypsy's Wife is creeping its way into my mind now... some days I manage to listen to a few songs without repeating any.

I'm still learning so much about Leonard's music though - been aware of him for a long time but only in the past year or so have been seriously listening. I remember queuing up for opera tickets all night at Covent Garden in 1991, and the man behind us in the queue said that if we ever got the chance we should go to see Leonard Cohen - well it only took me 18 years to heed his advice!

I look forward to discovering many more favourites along my journey.
Liverpool 2009 / Manchester 2013
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Hallelujah is simply one of the best songs ever written & it has to top my list. So long, Marianne would be second. It has one of the most beautiful melodies I've ever heard & was absolutely amazing live last night at the O2 in Dublin.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
naf nehoC dranoeL

Post by naf nehoC dranoeL »

Even after 20 years I am not able to choose a number 1 recording.
Who by fire , Sister's of mercy, So long Marianne, Night comes on, Take this Waltz,
It changes indeed day by day.

I told my lover to play anything by LC at the day of my funeral.
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

naf nehoC dranoeL wrote: I told my lover to play anything by LC at the day of my funeral.
Ha. I've thought about that, too, LC songs at my funeral. My choices have been "Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye", "Suzanne", "Bird On The Wire", "Who By Fire", "The Window", "Ballad Of The Absent Mare", "Dance Me To The End Of Love", "By The Rivers Dark", "Dear Heather" and "The Faith".
Not because they fit, but because that's how I want to say "goodbye" to the world.
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

My funeral would definitely have to include 'If It Be Your Will' and 'The Faith' - then the whole catalogue into the wake.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

There is no way I could pick an absolute favorite. It changes from day to day...sometimes hourly...sometimes it's just what I'm listening to at the time.

Speaking of Leonard Cohen songs for my funeral, however, that too depends on how I happen to go. I tend to have a slightly...or not so slightly...warped sense of humor at times. I think the absolute best way to die would be to be at Yellowstone when THE MEGAQUAKE hits and be listening to "Closing Time" on a huge boom box at full volume.

Now if I should go in a more mundane fashon, like peacefully in my sleep, I would probably want "Who by Fire", "If it Be Your Will", or "Dance me to the End of Love", not necessarily in that order. Nightingale is another that would be nice.

There are only a couple of Leonard's songs that I don't particularly care for. I can't say I dislike them, just they are the ones I like least. In that list probably Avalanche tops the list. It is just too depressing and I love sad songs.
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
mr.midnight

Post by mr.midnight »

Leonard would have to play live at my funeral since I wasn't VIP enough to score one of his tickets in real life.
Oh, and he'd definitely have to play 'Here it is'. Yeah, I go on about that a lot :oops:

"So the great affair is over but whoever would have guessed
it would leave us all so vacant and so deeply unimpressed."
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

After much thought on this topic. And going thru all the LC songs I've heard and love, beyond a shadow of a doubt, my absolute FAVORITE Leonard Cohen song is.....................the one I happen to be listening to at the time I'm asked this question. I mean, how can anyone pick JUST one????
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”