Religion and Sex

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
danceme1000times

Religion and Sex

Post by danceme1000times »

Thats Cohen!! 8)
Oh and Master Wordsmith! :oops:
danceme1000times

Re: Religion and Sex

Thank the Lord this site is so complicated you can get lost!! Why do you all have to call him Leonard? First name terms? Do you know him? I hate the name Leonard, and his second name Norman is even worse... for me its gotta be Cohen!! Oh and a great summing up from the book "Cohen" (wow ! see I told you!! lol not a Leonard in sight!) " Though the world be Histrionical, and most men live Ironically, yet be thou what thou singly art, and personate only thy self. Swim smoothly in the stream of thy Nature, and live but one man" Sir Thomas Browne.......all the poor guy is doing is living, he cant help it if we all empathise with him!! :roll:
danceme1000times

Oh and before anyone replies with all the Judiasm stuff concerning Norman...I am not a Jew nor do I like Judism or Roman Catholicisim for that matter ....I just dont like the name Norman!! " I learnt to write what might be read by one like me" I guess the latter bit didnt have to be Jewish?
Cate

Post by Cate »

You don't like the name Leonard? hummm... strange, I once heard of someone who did not like cookies of any sort, so you see the world is made up of all sorts.
Myself I like the name, it has a nice texture to it. The soft n and r sounds held with an a that lingers a bit on the tongue. The gentle roll of the l and r with the whole thing ending in a firm d. I think it's a great name for a poet as well as a nice name to say softly.

I'm not sure what his name has to do with Religion or Sex though?
Calling somebody by simply his last name seems much to familiar, sounds like you should be on the same sports team.
I'll stick with Mr. Cohen or Leonard.

p.s.
Nice to meet you and welcome.
danceme1000times

Jeepers Creepers!! Feel like Liza Doolittle.. but you made me smile! :D Was really messing...just talking to myself really... so to get a name mixed up with Religion and Sex....erm but hey....cuckold...I like that line because it 's got my name in it..so maybe we can put names with religion and sex LOL
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

Ummm . I suppose we call him Leonard - because that is his name -
He seems happy with it so I don't have a problem.,
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Cate wrote:You don't like the name Leonard? hummm... strange, Myself I like the name, it has a nice texture to it. The soft n and r sounds held with an a that lingers a bit on the tongue. The gentle roll of the l and r with the whole thing ending in a firm d.
And no one says his name better that he himself.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Cate

Post by Cate »

I'm sure that's true, although I suspect he prefers his name said by one with a softer voice then his own.
I'd also venture to guess that you'd prefer to hear him say Mary then his own name. :)
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Cate wrote:I'm sure that's true, although I suspect he prefers his name said by one with a softer voice then his own.
Hopefully, that would be Anjani
Cate wrote:I'd also venture to guess that you'd prefer to hear him say Mary then his own name. :)
To tell the truth, I would rather he repeated his own name over and over and over....... :D There is such a melifluous flow to it when he says it.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”