CONCERT REPORT: Weybridge, July 11

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
tuck

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Weybridge, July 11

Post by tuck »

If you got to Weybridge last night, you were lucky. Having spent 2 hours in a taxi from Guildford it was clear I was not going to get there. Not the best evening I've ever had. In addition to this I had bought weekend tickets for Guilfest...so much for supporting local events. Feel sorry that Cohen played to empty seats, seemingly because of very poor communications to and from this venue. My solace was coming home to view Cohen live from O2 last year, which I did see, because it was easy to get to, fortunately. Upset and frustrated.
Relate

Post by Relate »

The 'Lover, lover, lover' sound check extract sounds incredible! Thanks for sharing.
Last edited by Relate on Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir »

Echoing previous sentiments, a wonderful show which was not spoilt at all by the rubbish weather as I feared it might be. A fine summer's evening may have been better, but it is the strange sense of camaraderie between audience and band vs appaling weather that I will remember last night for.

In regard to the people gathering en masse at the front to take photos, particularly during the beginning of the second set, I personally found it distracting and am pleased the security team dealt with it and made people return to their seats. During the encores, fine, everyone rushing to the front was great and added lots to the atmosphere, but for the rest of the concert I just wanted to sit back and enjoy the show without having my view clouded by idiots arguing with security. Something that particularly annoyed me was the woman who walked right past the front row with her umbrella up. That just really isn't on.

As an observation, and not a complaint, did anyone else think Javier Mas' soloing bits (particularly during The Partisan) were a bit less "show offy" than usual? I wonder if the extreme cold meant his fingers were a bit stiff!
Undertow

Post by Undertow »

We had some trouble getting into the gig too, we were coming in from Leicester and were meant to get a train from Vauxhall to Weybridge. But first, we had to get on the Victoria Line at St. Pancras to Vauxhall. The Victoria Line however was entirely closed >_>

So we ended up having to travel round by tube swapping lines here and there but still managed to get there before the support act came on.

As for those people who were at the front of the stage during Tower of Song, thats the closest I got to Cohen during the entire gig. Im sure there were many others there who would say the same thing. Well worth the little complaints from the priviledged front rowers in my opinion.
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

Weather - nasty, staff who showed us to the wrong seats... poor BUT none of that mattered at all in the end ... Leonard was again simply amazing! My friend saw him for the first time and it was a perfect Leonard concert just like the ones I went to last year, especially in the second half when the atmosphere was just lovely.

Only Len could do that, thanks Len for a lovely night :)
Last edited by howthelightgetsin on Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

danslenoir wrote: Something that particularly annoyed me was the woman who walked right past the front row with her umbrella up. That just really isn't on.
Arrgh! Yes, she really annoyed me - she made sure she got her photo before being moved on, never mind how many people's view she was blocking.
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

mydoglorca wrote:Cyril

Welcome to the Forum. Glad you enjoyed the 'show' as much as I did & Leonard & the band appeared to. I don't believe Leonard would wish us to take his wonderful music too seriously.
And yes, my beloved dog Lorca....
Thanks MDL: lovely dog picture.

One of the things I like most about Leonard (and there are many) is his lack of pomposity, and his sense of humour -- he is genuinely engaging and downright funny. Ironic when for so long, he had the sort of slash your wrists alone in your bedsit image that Morrissey also had.

So yes, I doubt he would take his music too seriously!
cathye

Post by cathye »

Like most people on this post Leonard was truly amazing - but MBW failed to deliver for him and for the audience. :(
I thought our journey there was awful - but at least we arrived just in time - unlike the second half when after queuing fro 50 minutes (!) for some food (did the venue not realise that people would want to eat) we missed the first 3 songs. Hopfeully MBW will get some of this feedback and improve for future events.
Having dried out now looking forward to seeing Leonard again in France anyone going to be at the Nimes concert in August? :D
FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD »

I arrived soon after 2pm and was one of the first few there. I couldn't believe my luck to find the soundcheck underway. I missed the start of it but the rest must have lasted 40 mins or so. The video screens were soon turned on and so using binoculars I got a good view even though I was a faIr way from the stage. I am pleased that Helensj managed to capture "lover lover lover" as I was sure that it was going to be played in the concert but wasn't. The sound check was a marvelous unexpected bonus.
Gates opened 3.30 I bought a stylish poster for the Weybridge concert - very good quality - it seems to be a limited edition as mine is numbered 3/160 (I will post a picture of it later unless it is already on the forum some where.)

I thoroughly enjoyed the concert. This is is my third of this tour . Each one has been the best!
Manchester Opera House - wonderfully appreciative audience numerous standing ovations.
Manchester MEN arena - probably the best performance.
Weybridge - will give me the fondest memories

I sat next to some very friendly forum members one of whom started singing along to songs very early in the concert.
I, being a grumpy old man, had an initial thought that I had driven along way to hear Leonard, not the person sitting next to me, sing. However this thought was a fleeting one , this lady could actually sing and inspite of my natural tendency to disapprove - happiness kept breaking through.
It wasn't long before I was also singing along ( and I can't sing so I must apologise to the couple to my left),shouting out "AND THEN WE TAKE BERLIN!" and "singing" along to the other songs
The rain seemed to make people more cheerful there was much standing, dancing, singing and do you know- people seemed to enjoy this concert rather than just appreciate the music. The audiency participation added something special .
I didn't mind the rain, the queues and the sitting in the car park for hours . Those memories will fade - my other memories of the day will stay with me.
Last edited by FOXWOOD on Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013
cathye

Re: Weybridge

Post by cathye »

Hi Vaughan - you were sitting in front of us - sorry to hear about your awful journey. 'Your Leonard' looked like he enjoyed it all. What an evening - the distractions of travel and dreadful organisation on site aside this was an evening to cherish. :D
vaughan wrote:Hi again,

Yup, that was us - sorry to disturb you by getting there late :(

And your red hair was well hidden, unlike mine and my BIG brother's.

It was excellent though wasn't it - the Webb Sisters seemed to enjoy it based on their Facebook comment - http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... ers?ref=nf

Hope your cycle home wasn't too wet and dangerous, and the damp underwear didn't chaff too much :shock:

When's your next concert?
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Paula wrote:Who by Fire on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3UNttT6xd0
Thank you, Paula. Great video.
I posted a thank you message to the author of this video on youtube, MrTobyporter. I received a lovely response. I told him about the LC Forum and he indicated he would join. In the meantime, he said I could go ahead and post his response in the Weybridge Concert Report.

I took the video with a Camera, a Canon Powershot, it takes surprisingly good video and decent sound, and they will let it in a venue, unlike some venues with camcorders. I was at the back, in raised seating, and as I am sure you saw, was taking the big screen next to the stage ... We went to the front for the last hour, cant have been more than 10 metres away.

It was a great show, though the weather was atrocious, cold rain for a lot of it. The last hour, next to the stage, I will never forget. Its hard to express what Leonard Cohen means to me, I am 40 and have listened to him since I was 15 I think. His music, his lyrics have been like the soundrack of so much of my inner life. I had tears in my eyes for most of that hour, part happiness to see him so well and with that charisma and utter love of life he carries with him, part gratitude for all those moments, and part sadness thinking it may be the last time I see him play. I really believe that no-one will ever write music or lyrics like that wonderful man, never. I currently live in India, and missed him last year in London, saw him the tour before that in 92 or 93.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Helensj, thanks for recording "Lover, Lover Lover" during the soundcheck! I just watched it and also left you a feedback.
tuck wrote:If you got to Weybridge last night, you were lucky. Having spent 2 hours in a taxi from Guildford it was clear I was not going to get there. Not the best evening I've ever had. In addition to this I had bought weekend tickets for Guilfest...so much for supporting local events. Feel sorry that Cohen played to empty seats, seemingly because of very poor communications to and from this venue. My solace was coming home to view Cohen live from O2 last year, which I did see, because it was easy to get to, fortunately. Upset and frustrated.
Tuck, do you mean you had tickets, were almost there and then had to return home?? How frustrating, you have got my full sympathy! What a terrible feeling that must be, building up all the excitement for nothing...

Cyril, a warm welcome to the forum - I hope you'll stay around! I have to admit though that personally, I probably would not have liked people blocking my view for the entire second half of the concert or even starting minor rows with security about it, either - especially because at every one of Leonard's concert I have been to so far, the atmosphere and the performance seemed to get so much livelier, more spontaneous, relaxed and therefore better after the interval. Now you may say that that may be due precisely to the more active participation of the audience, but so far, apart from the Amsterdam gig where there was no fixed seating order, but everyone was on their feet, anyway, that has not included standing before the encores. For the encores, however, people rushing to the front does not only seem entirely common, but in my opinion, it indeed adds a great deal to the specific "Closing Time" - atmosphere of the last part. I simply love it, but, as I have pointed out, not necessarily before the end of the main part of the concert. That said, personally, I am perfectly ok with lively audience reactions such as whooping or the "normal" degree of singing along (not so much with people just humming along to the base line without a break and right into my ear; I hope the young man who was sitting behind me in Cologne reads this!). Leonard Cohen may perhaps not be Rock and Roll - but it is not a classical concert, either...
Anyway, thank you people for having shared your impressions - all in all, it sounds like it was well worth being there!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
JAN R

Post by JAN R »

I have recently returned home from the wonderful Weybridge concert. I agree with Undertow about the Birmingham concert being flat but the atmosphere at Weybridge was fantastic.

Thanks to all for the reviews I have enjoyed reading and reliving yesterday evening. Thanks too for the photos and the videos posted.

I was surprised that MBW kept their buildings open and we were able to use their loos which were obviously more comfortable. I also used the shuttle bus to the station as I had booked overnight accommodation in Weybridge. Getting out on the bus was fairly quick and easy.

Can anybody remember what Leonard said right at the end of the concert, after "Wither thou goest"

Jan
2008 Dublin 13 June; Manchester 18 June; Birmingham 22 Nov. 2009 Weybridge 11 July.
Tony

Post by Tony »

I think he said, "Who's coming up to the pub?"
Undertow

Post by Undertow »

Hopefully they'll release a DVD of the whole gig and we'll find out ;)

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”