CONCERT REPORT: Berlin, July 2

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
crystal
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:56 pm

CONCERT REPORT: Berlin, July 2

Postby crystal » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:09 am

Back from the O2 world and even after an hour on the bike not back to earth.
It was a very wonderful evening, fun, happiness, full of emotion. Leonard Cohen was brillant, the band was wonderful and Sharon Robinson and the Webb sisters absolutely great.
I think same setlist as in Cologne, a thousend kisses deep was missing.
I enjoyed it even more than last years concert in Berlin. I found the audience warmer and more receptive.

Sorry I didn't make it to the meetups before and after the show. I hope you had a very good time and liked Berlin.

Good night, Christel
roving_gambler
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:14 am

Re: CONCERT REVIEW: Berlin, July 2

Postby roving_gambler » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:27 am

Excellent show but I had the impression that Leonard wasn't in top shape. He was more subdued and looked more exhaustend than the 2 times I saw him last year. But he still tried hard to give everyone a great show - and he did. And what's great is that he's given up on those obsessive band introductions everytime someone plays more than 2 notes in a row. Oh, and Manhattan in Berlin is always special.

Set list:

Dance Me to the End of Love
The Future
Ain't No Cure for Love
Bird on the Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Who By Fire
Chelsea Hotel
Waiting for the Miracle
Anthem

Intermission

Tower of Song
Suzanne
Sisters of Mercy
The Partisan
Boogie Street
Hallelujah
I'm Your Man
Take this Waltz

First Encore

So Long Marianne
First We Take Manhattan

Second Encore

Famous Blue Raincoat
If it Be Your Will
Closing Time

Third Encore

I Tried to Leave You
Whither Thou Goest
Amrei
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:36 pm

Phptos from Berlin 02.07.09 now uploaded

Postby Amrei » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:21 pm

Hi everybody,

photos from Leonard Cohens marvellous 3 hours concert in Berlin yesterday are now linked here. I took 115 photos, all without flash for not bothering Leonard Cohen, which unfortunately made some of them unsharp.
I have downsized the photos with XN View, a programme you can get from the internet as free download for upsizing them again. Remember to keep the proportions, though. Anyhow, for technical reasons I was not allowed to upload the pics here, even though they were downsized under the limit. If anybody can help me with this problem i will try again immediately.

In the meantime I have uploaded them to the internet, where you can download them in full quality by following the links below. (maybe even the best solution)
There is an individual link for every picture, I could not collect them under the same link.

If anybody wants to have the pictures in better qualities after I succeed in uploading them here (or just more of them ;-) ), send me a private e-mail via this forum with your e-mail address and I will send them to you. Please note, that I am not able to deliver better qualities as in the links below (but I have a lot more pictures :razz: )
If you publish them, please put me in as the photographer, everybody is free to use the photos as they please.

Amrei

Links:

http://www3.pic-upload.de/05.07.09/hjha7.jpg

http://www3.pic-upload.de/05.07.09/z9qutc.jpg

http://www3.pic-upload.de/05.07.09/tc2gao.jpg

http://www3.pic-upload.de/05.07.09/jkrlsd.jpg

http://www3.pic-upload.de/05.07.09/4m1wqs.jpg

http://www3.pic-upload.de/05.07.09/9vq1wa.jpg

http://www3.pic-upload.de/05.07.09/8f52.jpg

http://www3.pic-upload.de/05.07.09/fgnqyj.jpg

http://www3.pic-upload.de/05.07.09/rmegh.jpg

http://www3.pic-upload.de/05.07.09/tx42m.jpg
Last edited by Amrei on Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
___________________________________
1988: Århus; Holstebro
1993: Århus; Holstebro
2008: Århus 06.07.; Copenhagen 17.10.; Hamburg 31.10.
2009: Berlin 02.07.
2010: Hannover 27.09.; Dortmund 29.09.
2012: Copenhagen 25.08.; Aalborg 26.08.; Berlin 05.09.
2013: Hamburg 14.07.
ronnievv
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Rep.

Re: CONCERT REVIEW: Berlin, July 2

Postby ronnievv » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:08 pm

I've been there, too - I went from Prague, and I can say that the five-plus-four hours' drive, terrible storm near Dresden, traffic jams in Berlin, milky fog on the way back and getting up for work after three hours' sleep - all that was absolutely worth it! I've seen Leonard last year in Prague, and I was glad he changed the playlist a bit (though no Alexandra Leaving so far, alas!). After his "there is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in" - I actually cried :oops: And of course, I never dreamed of hearing "First We Take Manhattan" in Berlin!
Thank you, Leonard, and see you in Prague!
BTW, just curious - were we the only Czechs there? It surely looked like it. :)
Veronika: Prague 2008/Berlin 2009/Bratislava 2009/Prague 2009/Prague 2013...
User avatar
sturgess66
Posts: 4085
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Re: CONCERT REVIEW: Berlin, July 2

Postby sturgess66 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:12 pm

Some video from Berlin on YouTube - from "badgejaune" (Who By Fire, The Partisan, Hallelujah)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z51BRd_Y8rQ
brinberlin
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:47 pm

Re: CONCERT REVIEW: Berlin, July 2

Postby brinberlin » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:01 pm

I found the second half of the concert, thank goodness, better than the first. I wonder if I was at the same concert as your first reviewer? There had clearly been a row or something, because the Webbs and Sharon Robinson came on unsmiling, stony-faced, morose, and despite the obligatory standing ovation LC looked ill at ease to say the least. One problem must have been the audience. What a lack of vibe. Mostly over 50 (as I am, but not like them!) and looking as if they just came for an evening out, provincial in the most pejorative sense of the word, they could have been watching anyone really. They marched up and down the aisles with wines and beers as he sang, talked amongst themselves, clapped and whooped each time they (wrongly) thought a song had ended... really embarrassing. I was so pleased to see him for what is probably the last time in Berlin, but these idiots spoiled it somewhat. They were only waiting for Suzanne, and the rest seemed to pass them by as they hysterically took mobile phone footage of each other and the screens. It must have been dispiriting for Cohen to see what his audience - in Berlin at least - has become.
ronnievv
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Rep.

Re: CONCERT REVIEW: Berlin, July 2

Postby ronnievv » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:56 pm

brinberlin wrote: They marched up and down the aisles with wines and beers as he sang, talked amongst themselves, clapped and whooped each time they (wrongly) thought a song had ended... really embarrassing. I was so pleased to see him for what is probably the last time in Berlin, but these idiots spoiled it somewhat. They were only waiting for Suzanne, and the rest seemed to pass them by as they hysterically took mobile phone footage of each other and the screens. It must have been dispiriting for Cohen to see what his audience - in Berlin at least - has become.
Yes, this spoiled it for me a bit, as well. When Robinson sang "If It Be Your Will" and they whooped at all the wrong places, or when they clapped to the beat (repeatedly), I thought I'd start shooting.
I hope this won't happen in Prague (it surely didn't last time, the atmosphere was more like worship).

As for the beginning of the concert - you must have been pretty near, as I haven't noticed anything like that from 18th row.
Veronika: Prague 2008/Berlin 2009/Bratislava 2009/Prague 2009/Prague 2013...
User avatar
tigrib
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:31 am
Location: Berlin

CONCERT REVIEW: Berlin, July 2 aus Sueddeutsche Zeitung

Postby tigrib » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:47 pm

Euphorie und Wehmut - Leonard Cohen in Berlin
Cohen_21705988_thumbnail

Berlin (dpa) - Am Ende mischte sich Wehmut in die allgemeine Euphorie: Vielen der rund 15 000 Leonard-Cohen-Fans in der Arena am Ostbahnhof dämmerte am Donnerstag, dass der eindrucksvolle Berliner Auftritt des kanadischen Pop-Veteranen womöglich sein letztes Deutschland-Konzert war.

Ob sich der 74-Jährige noch einmal zu einer monatelangen Welttournee aufrafft, ist nicht abzusehen. Cohen selbst zelebrierte diese Abschiedsstimmung nach einem gut dreistündigen, intensiven Konzertabend mit Worten des Dankes und der Verbundenheit.

Zuvor hatte der Sänger und Poet aus Montreal auf der riesigen Bühne - flankiert von neun erstklassigen Musikern - weder übermäßig sentimental noch gebrechlich gewirkt. Mit seinem typisch sonoren Bassbariton, der im Laufe der Jahre eher nuancenreicher geworden ist, streifte Cohen durch ein riesiges Repertoire an dunkel gefärbten Balladen aus 40 Songschreiber-Jahren. Wirkten die Arrangements im ersten Teil des Konzerts bisweilen noch etwas plüschig, so wurden die Lieder nach der Pause schlichter, rauer und damit eindringlicher.

Die Höhepunkte reihten sich nun in immer rascherer Folge aneinander: Der bewegende Gospel «Hallelujah», das beschwingte «So Long Marianne» oder «I'm Your Man», das einem Rocksong noch am nächsten kam. Beim Welthit «First We Take Manhattan» - besonders bejubelte zweite Zeile: «Then We Take Berlin» - hielt es kaum noch jemanden auf seinem Sitz.

Mit einem zerknittertem Hut vor der Brust und Tränen in den Augen dankte Leonard Cohen schließlich seiner großartigen Band und den Berliner Fans - unter ihnen auch Außenminister und Vizekanzler Frank-Walter Steinmeier (SPD). Danach verließ der alte Herr zum letzten Mal hüpfend die Hauptstadt-Bühne - Abtritt einer lebenden Pop-Legende.

© sueddeutsche.de - erschienen am 03.07.2009 um 09:19 Uhr
2008 Berlin, Hamburg, Oberhausen, Cologne, Berlin, Colmar, Barcelona, Las Vegas, San Jose, Salzburg, Berlin, Strasbourg, Marseille, Dortmund, Stuttgart, Las Vegas 2010
2012 Ghent (x2), Berlin, Moenchengladbach, Lisbon
2013 Berlin ... Pula ... ?
User avatar
sturgess66
Posts: 4085
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Re: CONCERT REVIEW: Berlin, July 2 aus Sueddeutsche Zeitung

Postby sturgess66 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:06 pm

tigrib wrote:Euphorie und Wehmut - Leonard Cohen in Berlin
Cohen_21705988_thumbnail

Berlin (dpa) - Am Ende mischte sich Wehmut in die allgemeine Euphorie: Vielen der rund 15 000 Leonard-Cohen-Fans in der Arena am Ostbahnhof dämmerte am Donnerstag, dass der eindrucksvolle Berliner Auftritt des kanadischen Pop-Veteranen womöglich sein letztes Deutschland-Konzert war.

Ob sich der 74-Jährige noch einmal zu einer monatelangen Welttournee aufrafft, ist nicht abzusehen. Cohen selbst zelebrierte diese Abschiedsstimmung nach einem gut dreistündigen, intensiven Konzertabend mit Worten des Dankes und der Verbundenheit.

Zuvor hatte der Sänger und Poet aus Montreal auf der riesigen Bühne - flankiert von neun erstklassigen Musikern - weder übermäßig sentimental noch gebrechlich gewirkt. Mit seinem typisch sonoren Bassbariton, der im Laufe der Jahre eher nuancenreicher geworden ist, streifte Cohen durch ein riesiges Repertoire an dunkel gefärbten Balladen aus 40 Songschreiber-Jahren. Wirkten die Arrangements im ersten Teil des Konzerts bisweilen noch etwas plüschig, so wurden die Lieder nach der Pause schlichter, rauer und damit eindringlicher.

Die Höhepunkte reihten sich nun in immer rascherer Folge aneinander: Der bewegende Gospel «Hallelujah», das beschwingte «So Long Marianne» oder «I'm Your Man», das einem Rocksong noch am nächsten kam. Beim Welthit «First We Take Manhattan» - besonders bejubelte zweite Zeile: «Then We Take Berlin» - hielt es kaum noch jemanden auf seinem Sitz.

Mit einem zerknittertem Hut vor der Brust und Tränen in den Augen dankte Leonard Cohen schließlich seiner großartigen Band und den Berliner Fans - unter ihnen auch Außenminister und Vizekanzler Frank-Walter Steinmeier (SPD). Danach verließ der alte Herr zum letzten Mal hüpfend die Hauptstadt-Bühne - Abtritt einer lebenden Pop-Legende.

© sueddeutsche.de - erschienen am 03.07.2009 um 09:19 Uhr
Here is one of those strange Google translations:

Euphoria and melancholy - Leonard Cohen in Berlin
Cohen_21705988_thumbnail

Berlin (dpa) - At the end is melancholy mingled in the general euphoria: Many of the approximately 15 000 Leonard Cohen fans in the arena at Ostbahnhof dawned on Thursday that the impressive performance by the Berliner Canadian pop veteran perhaps his last concert Germany was.

Whether the 74-year-old again in a months-long world tour aufrafft is not in sight. Cohen himself celebrated the farewell mood after a good three hours, intense concert evening with words of thanks and solidarity.

Earlier, the singer and poet from Montreal on the huge stage - flanked by nine first-class musicians - neither overly sentimental nor frail knitted. With his typical sonorous bass baritone, who over the years has become more nuanced is grazed by Cohen a huge repertoire of ballads, dark-colored song writer from 40 years. Arrangements were in the first part of the concert, sometimes even plush, as were the songs after the break, simple, rough and insistent.

The highlights are now lined in an ever-increasing pace to each other: the moving gospel "Hallelujah," the vibrant "So Long Marianne" or "I'm Your Man," a rock song that still was closest. At the worldwide hit "First We Take Manhattan" - particularly acclaimed second line: "Then We Take Berlin" - was hardly anyone there on his seat

With a crumpled hat in front of the chest and tears in his eyes thanked Leonard Cohen finally his great band, and the Berlin fans - among them Foreign Minister and Vice Chancellor Frank-Walter Stein Meier (SPD). After leaving the old gentleman for the last time the capital bouncy stage - resignation of a living pop legend.

© sueddeutsche.de - published on 03.07.2009 around 09:19 clock
User avatar
sturgess66
Posts: 4085
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Re: CONCERT REVIEW: Berlin, July 2

Postby sturgess66 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:33 pm

ronnievv wrote:
brinberlin wrote: They marched up and down the aisles with wines and beers as he sang, talked amongst themselves, clapped and whooped each time they (wrongly) thought a song had ended... really embarrassing. I was so pleased to see him for what is probably the last time in Berlin, but these idiots spoiled it somewhat. They were only waiting for Suzanne, and the rest seemed to pass them by as they hysterically took mobile phone footage of each other and the screens. It must have been dispiriting for Cohen to see what his audience - in Berlin at least - has become.
Yes, this spoiled it for me a bit, as well. When Robinson sang "If It Be Your Will" and they whooped at all the wrong places, or when they clapped to the beat (repeatedly), I thought I'd start shooting.
I hope this won't happen in Prague (it surely didn't last time, the atmosphere was more like worship).

As for the beginning of the concert - you must have been pretty near, as I haven't noticed anything like that from 18th row.
Oh my. That is so sad. :cry: Not sure I understand the speculation about a "row" based on the facial expressions, or lack there of, of professionals at a show. But, it is too bad that there was not a local pop concert that these offenders in the audience could have attended! :x It is hard to fathom after what I experienced with audience reaction to Leonard's show - and what I have read about other shows.

Interestingly, just yesterday I watched a video on YouTube about a show that Leonard did in 1972, and he walked off the stage. This is a young conscientious and sensitive Leonard Cohen. He is still conscientious and sensitive today - 37 years later - and a lot older and wiser now - and deals all the time with people who recognize one of their favorites when he starts to sing and respond with applause. Hey - "there ain't no cure for love!" :lol: Apparently, according to a comment on YouTube, Leonard did come back on stage and finish the show.
(Comment by "messalina79 on YouTube) According to Ira Nadel's biography, "Various Positions." he and his band came back on stage to perform the version of So Long, Marianne that messalina79 has posted up here. Nadel says that the concert was an amazing success in the end. What a night! Thanks messalina79: I've been enjoying your contributions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMhgQOdMdJ4
Last edited by sturgess66 on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
friscogrl
Posts: 2410
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:07 am
Location: San Francisco, Ca.

Re: CONCERT REVIEW: Berlin, July 2

Postby friscogrl » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:19 am

None of the other comments of these reviews were lost on me but did Sharon Robinson sing If It Be Your Will?

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
ronnievv
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Rep.

Re: CONCERT REVIEW: Berlin, July 2

Postby ronnievv » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:53 am

friscogrl wrote:but did Sharon Robinson sing If It Be Your Will?

Marsha
Oh my, sorry for that - my mistake, of course. Robinson sang "Boogie Street", which is what my comment referred to. Webb Sisters did "If It Be Your Will". :oops:
Just three hours of sleep since the concert, you know... :cry:
Veronika: Prague 2008/Berlin 2009/Bratislava 2009/Prague 2009/Prague 2013...
User avatar
bridger15
Posts: 2068
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Los Angeles - ex Toronto
Contact:

Re: CONCERT REVIEW: Berlin, July 2

Postby bridger15 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:08 am

Does anyone remember what Leonard's Blessings were - usually four - following Whither Thou Goest?

I am trying compile LC's "Priestly Blessings" from as many concerts as possible.
Thank you to those who have already responded in other threads.

And thanks in advance to all you lucky concert goers who were there.
---Arlene

***Unfortunately I did not make notes of all the blessings, but he ended with "don't catch summer cold" (laughing), and then we went out to the nice temperature of some 30 C (96 F) / Jarkko***
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
User avatar
basecamp
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:52 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact:

Re: CONCERT REVIEW: Berlin, July 2

Postby basecamp » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:09 am

What a wonderful concert! I'm still excited how touching this was. Leonard and the whole band obviously enjoyed the evening and at the end Leonard seems to have tears in his eyes. I read somewhere that a few hours later Rafael Gayol wrote "Thank you Berlin..."
Thanks to all the nice cohenites I met before and after the concert! It was great meeting you all!

Germany's biggest tabloid press BILD's headliner: The Voice of the Soul
Leonard Cohen in der O2 World Berlin
Die Stimme der Seele
Jacko (verstorben 50) ist tot; Leonard Cohen (74) lebt - und singt mit der ewigen Stimme seiner Seele.
Von Norbert Körzdörfer

Die O2 World wird zur Kirche des Pop.

Leonard Cohen
Gänsehaut, seit 40 Jahren

Es ist keine Musik für Teenager, aber wer einmal Cohen gehört hat, trägt ihn im Herzen: "First we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin". Leonard Cohen ist eine Art Heiliger. Kanadier. Buddhist. Lyriker - und eine Stimme wie Kaminholz.

Es ist seine aller-, allerletzte Welttour! Warum?

Als er in einem Buddhisten-Kloster in Kalifornien war, hat sein Finanzberater ihm alle seine Millionen geklaut. Er singt, weil er Geld braucht. Aber aus dieser Not ist die größte Tugend der Pop-Musik geworden.

Wer gestern Abend nicht dabei sein konnte: Es gibt eine geniale DVD seines Konzertes in London. Ich habe ihn einmal privat getroffen - im Swimmingpool des Bayerischen Hofes in München. Er schwamm alleine 30 Minuten seine meditativen Bahnen - mit einem gelben Buddha-Umhänger.

Er ist ein alter Mann - aber sein Herz und seine Stimme verleihen Flügel.
http://www.bild.de/BILD/unterhaltung/mu ... seele.html##
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
blazzzz
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Berlin, July 2

Postby blazzzz » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:01 pm

Hi, it's my first post. I found the sound surprisingly low. Sitting in a 19 row I had real problems connecting since I could hear people 3 or 4 rows behind me chatting. I can't imagine how it must've been on the tribunes. Since this was my first Cohen concert on this tour, is it always like that? I have to say I was kind of disappointed. Beside seeing Cohen live which was great, strictly music-wise I had better times listening to his live performances on CD... And many of the audience really couldn't care where they are, eating, talking, drinking, walking. But the music should be loud enough not to be bothered by it, at least that's my opinion. Pity...

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests