Barcelona Celebration 20 and 21-09-2009

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
PanCogito

Re: Barcelona Celebration 20-09-2009

Post by PanCogito »

Yes, Mary I’m coming to Barcelona too!! Remember, we were talking about Barcelona concert in the bar but no one of us was decided to go at that time. I was thrilled when I spotted you and George on the pre-concert party list. CHOLERA!! Let’s do it one more time, maybe for the last time unless we will go all the way to Tel Aviv. By the way, do you speak Hebrew or Spanish? I still don’t know where to stay. I’m flying to Barcelona on September 17 and arriving there the next day, September 18 and the same day I go to Lyon, France to celebrate 60th birthday of my best friend, Francois/Paco. I’ll be back to Barcelona on Sunday, September 20 and obviously I will need a place to stay for just one night. Let me know where do you plan to stay so that I could book the room there as well.

Greetings, Dobranoc

Roman
kind regards -דרישת שלום
roman - pan cogito- מר קוגיטו
העובדה שאני שותק לא אומרת שאין לי מה להגיד - The fact that I am being silent doesn't mean that I have nothing to say
|1985Wroclaw|1988Stuttgart|2008Montreal|2009 New York RC| MSG|Red Rocks |Las Vegas |2012Aalborg| Denver|Chicago|2013Milwaukee
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Dobrai Ranok Roman,

George and I have not booked anyplace to stay yet. I am waiting for feedback from other forum members before I book. We will arrive on Monday at 9AM and are planning to stay until Thursday AM so that we can have the pleasure of taking in the sights of Barcelona.

I don't know if the 'true original' forum members have picked their hotel because of the proximity to the venue or because of the 'party atmosphere' of Las Ramblas :D . Am waiting for someone to advise me as to what to do :? . Help someone! Cannot make any decisions until I have more info.

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Many members coming to Barcelona booked to Onyx Liceo, but it is full now. Some other have reserved rooms at Hotel Oasis - it has very reasonable prices. Both are located near Las Ramblas. For those who will stay a bit longer than just the concert night, it is more convenient to stay in the city center than to take accommodation near the venue.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

jarkko wrote:Many members coming to Barcelona booked to Onyx Liceo, but it is full now. Some other have reserved rooms at Hotel Oasis - it has very reasonable prices. Both are located near Las Ramblas. For those who will stay a bit longer than just the concert night, it is more convenient to stay in the city center than to take accommodation near the venue.
Jarkko,

Thank you so much for this information. Onyx Liceo, I realize, has been booked for quite some time for the 21st. Quite understandable, since the price, location and quality in this choice is superb and from what I could deduce, only 45 rooms. I just didn't know why it was chosen (location, price......). Now I have something to go on. Will probably book into the Hotel Oasis, after checking it out, based on your info. Thanx again!

Best regards,
Mary

(P.S. I know I suggested name tags for the Beacon. Missed not having them - so many opportunities to meet other forum members 'gone with the wind'. Any chance of name tags for Barcelona since there will be so many of us there?)
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
margaret

Post by margaret »

I am staying at this place, which was recommended by a friend.

http://www.hoteltoledano.com/english.htm It is a smaller family run hotel and also has cheaper more basic rooms in their "pension" or hostale in the same building.

Joe and Anne Way are booked also and maybe others.

I wish now I had booked earlier flights to stay a bit longer than 2 nights! It will be a busy couple of days :D
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Margaret,

Thank you for the info. I will be checking it out and make a decision in the next couple of days. Seems like I need to move pretty quickly on this since it looks like so many places already have limited availability. Is this time still considered their tourist season?

Kindest regards,
Mary
margaret

Post by margaret »

Barcelona is a popular city break destination for Brits and Europeans most of the year. September still has warm and sunny weather but is just outside the really peak season as most schools and colleges will restart around then.

Look forward to seeing there,
Margaret
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Again, thank you for this info Margaret. It's nice to know this is not so peak season. Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else face-to-face - how exciting this is!

Kindest regards,
Mary
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Margaret,
Thank you for answering MaryB's question. I was about to let her know about the Hotel Toledano but you already have.

MaryB,

We're looking forward to meeting you and your husband. We attended three concerts together back in Canada and never met so we're very glad we'll have the opportunity here. Anne & I are arriving in Barcelona on September 15th so we'll have plenty of time to see the highlights prior to the festivities.

We're looking forward to meeting all of the other Barcelona travelers and residents.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Hi Joe,

Of course I remember that we all attended the Kitchener and Hamilton shows. You have carved an indelible memory in my mind because when I finally made my first official post, a review of the Hamilton concert, you were the first one to respond to that post with nothing but the kindest remarks and made me feel oh so welcome on this forum. I am forever grateful to you for that!

We don't arrive in Barcelona until the 21st AM and will depart on the 24th. We still have not made a hotel choice. I thank you for recommending the Toledano. If I remember correctly when I checked it out, it was more on the line of a hostel with shared bathrooms, etc.... Am I wrong on this? I just don't think it would please George. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I don't remember the last time I had such a difficult time in choosing a hotel. I just can't seem to wrap my head around the hotel choices being made here by forum members - is it price, location, value.........? I am so totally confused. Everyone has been so nice in trying to help me out and I thank all of you. I know I need to do this in some sort of timely manner because every day availability is slipping away. Joe, why did you and Anne choose this hotel?

I am so looking forward to finally meeting you and your precious Anne and all the other forum members!

Warmest regards,
Mary
margaret

Post by margaret »

Mary,
the term hostale in Spain does not have the same meaning we normally associate with a hostal. The nearest equivalent is a "pension", a small establishment where a simple room is provided, but no meals. Some rooms may have a bathroom but not all.

This particular one is divided. The hostal part is named Capital. But If you look separately on the link for the Hotel Toledano then go into prices for rooms there, you will find that all the double and twin rooms have private bathrooms.

I haven't stayed at this particular hotel myself (although I have stayed in other hostals in Spain) but a friend has stayed there a few times and is now welcomed like one of the family. I believe it is also very conveniently situated and the airport bus stop is also very close.

Margaret
ScottM

Post by ScottM »

Hi,

Scott & Helen (UK) hope to attend both the party and the lunch in Barcelona so please add us to the list. We have arranged our annual "Summer" holiday to be in Spain in September, starting with a few days around the Madrid concert before heading to the coast for a week and then travelling down to Barcelona. We have booked the flights and have the concert tickets but still to arrange accommodation. Judging by the names already on the list, we met some of you prior to the London RAH concert, on the 17th Nov 2008, at the Troubador and afterwards in Janets Bar. So hopefully will meet again. Also will be nice to meet new (to us) LC fans. Before that we will be attending the Liverpool concert which, I am sure will also be a fantastic occasion on 14th July so we feel very lucky.

Regards to all,

Scott & Helen
Dublin - June 14 ~ 2008
London (O2) - July 17 ~ 2008
London (O2) - November 13 ~ 2008
London (RAH) - November 17 ~ 2008
Brighton - November 28
~ 2008
Last edited by ScottM on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam
Aloevera

Post by Aloevera »

To the Irish members who are travelling to Barcelona,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this - Aer Lingus has a 3 day sale at present, finishes midnight July 2nd, flights to Barcelona very reasonable. I booked mine today.

CHeers. Paula
2008 - RHK Dublin x 2, Lucca, Birmingham
2009 - Dublin x 2, Barcelona, Nashville
2010 - Marseille, Las Vegas X 2
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar »

Thanks for that Paula, have flights booked for some time though! Just back from holidays and catching up here, delighted to see so many people are travelling to Barcelona, looking forward to seeing you all there. :D
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

MaryB wrote:
(P.S. I know I suggested name tags for the Beacon. Missed not having them - so many opportunities to meet other forum members 'gone with the wind'. Any chance of name tags for Barcelona since there will be so many of us there?)
Mary, I really like the idea of making a name tag for each participant so we can get to know one another better! I'm hereby volunteering to make them. I'd like to print tags with everybody's real name, forum name, avatar and country on it (aswell as a header "Leonard Cohen Forum"). This way, it would be fairly easy to recognize everybody!
I'll add a demo which I made in about 5 minutes (screenshot of the header of the Forum, with my avatar, name, etc...).

I would need every one to send me their details of course (real name, bigger size of the avatar, country,...)
Leonard Cohen nametags Barcelona (demo).jpg
Leonard Cohen nametags Barcelona (demo).jpg (32.74 KiB) Viewed 7258 times

Regards,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”