Leonard's Recent Meetings with Cohenites

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
mnkyface

Re: Leonard's Recent Meetings with Cohenites

Post by mnkyface »

This part cracked me up:
I called my dad to tell him about my encounter. He was at my 7 year old sisters open house when he gave me a “GET THE **** OUTTA HERE!!!”.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by News Gal »

mnkyface wrote:This part cracked me up:
I called my dad to tell him about my encounter. He was at my 7 year old sisters open house when he gave me a “GET THE **** OUTTA HERE!!!”.
HAHAHAHAHAAAAA Can you imagine the people around him?
ᎤᏩᎬᏗᏒ ᏥᎪᏩᏘᎲ, ᎯᎩᎾᎵᎢ, ᎠᏓᎯᏍᏗ ᎨᏐ. Uwagvdisv tsigowatihv, higinali'i , adahisdi geso (I've seen the future brother, it is murder.)
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Back-stage encounter with Leonard at the Big Chill 3 August 2008, by howthelightgetsin, just added.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Hydriot,

where exactly do I have to look for Howthelightgetsin's report? Can't find it somehow... :roll: Thanks!!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

I assemble all links in the very first post of this thread, in chronological order, so 'howthelightgetsin' is now fourth down.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Found it! Nice report - thanks!
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

I was just thinking about it again, to think in just over 2 months a year would have passed. I have the autograph on the wall, with pictures I took that night. When I need a lift I look at it, might sound soppy but its true! :)
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
Emeraude

Post by Emeraude »

I've had such an enjoyable time reading this thread. Until seeing Leonard Cohen live in Ottawa I had not had much inclination to actually meet the man in person. But as I watched him on stage, live last night, I warmed to him with a feeling like wouldn't it be great just to meet him. He seems so humble, so human. I very much enjoyed how he completely promoted his on-stage co-performers. I couldn't help but think that one day these wonderful people will be famous in their own right not because of their connection to LC but for the amazing talent they all possess. It certainly won't hurt to have that LC connection though. ;-)

So for those of you who have met him please share more if you can. I thoroughly enjoyed his wit and his amusing pieces of wisdom that he imparted especially how no one over 15 should ever, in fact never, ever look into those tiny little magnifying mirrors they have in hotel washrooms with the accompanying abundant lighting. Each and every time he came back for an encore (6 or 7 times - I lost count) - how he would say we were all too kind. I suppose I expected him to be larger than life instead I felt like I would just love to sit down and share a coffee with him and chat about whatever....

Thanks for letting me ramble on here. I've been a fan for years of his poetry and less of his music. Now I am of both.
You're in my blood like holy wine... J. Mitchell
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Emeraude wrote:his amusing pieces of wisdom that he imparted especially how no one over 15 should ever, in fact never, ever look into those tiny little magnifying mirrors they have in hotel washrooms with the accompanying abundant lighting. .
I love it! :lol: :lol:
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by lizzytysh »

I love it :lol: :lol: !
I relate to it... ;-)

I love how your appreciation expanded; nothing compares to seeing him Live.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

He's so right about those mirrors :lol: :lol: :lol: ! The first time I ever did it, it was like 'come here, you and you and you, take a look at yourself, you'll never believe it! :shock: '. Maybe that's why someone was looking over us and saying, ' Now in your older age, your sight will diminish and you are going to look a little better to each other - unless you wear reading glasses'. What great wisdom 8) .
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

"Those mirrors" are just shaving mirrors, which we men (other than Leonard) love, since they permit us to attack each and every bristle with laser-like precision ... something you ladies appreciate when we dance with you cheek-to-cheek.
mr.midnight

Post by mr.midnight »

John Etherington wrote:The great thing about Leonard is that he relates to those who appreciate him as people rather than treating them as "Cohenites"!
Pardon for replying to something old.

I think you're totally right, John. Even though a lot of us here are 'fanatical' about L.C it's very cool of him to care about the people who like him and his music so much as people, which is so much more than an "ite", in fact it's very polite.
Funny thing is... I sometimes think of Leonard's songs (going over his guitar riffs in my head) or even his character when I take a very late night walk regularly and on one of those walks it sort of dawned on me... YOU, the people, is what matters most to him and I think it keeps him going and what makes it enjoyable to continue to perform and write, I think the backstage jewels have ceased to sparkle and money comes and goes to him. Celebrities care about their fans, to a certain extent, whether they act like it or not but I have not heard of or seen a class act like Leonard.

And if the person who had the 14 year old crush met him for an autograph, it's better to say a little something rather than nothing. You think of saying nothing or not even having the encounter because you worry that you wouldn't have the chance to say everything. Like I was saying in the last paragraph, anything good you have to say to him matters in his book, whether it's a sentence, a compliment on his music that he's used to or something more profound.

All this I said is just my two cents, I try to listen to the music and leave it at that, I can only have a feeling what someone like an artist (or a person) is really thinking and I can't say I speak for anyone.

Anyway, I hope I'm able to get him to sign an LP or a CD someday.

"So the great affair is over but whoever would have guessed
it would leave us all so vacant and so deeply unimpressed."
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hi mr. midnight,

Thanks for your kind response to my post. I hope you manage to get that signature before too long!

All good wishes, John E
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

By the way - I just went through the links Hydriot has so kindly put together about all the meetings of Cohenites with Leonard (or the other way round). But on some threads, as on the "Leonard & Anjani Tonight at the Richard Goodall Gallery"-one, the pictures do not get displayed - just a square space with a red cross in it. Any idea what the reason might be and if I can do anything about that?
Thank you!!

Return to “Comments & Questions”