Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen's song?

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
News Gal

Re: Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen's song?

Post by News Gal »

Closing Time. The synth is great, it has a fiddle and because of the part about the tower, it makes me think of all the people I've met in Waterbury, where the major landmark is a HUGE clock tower.
ᎤᏩᎬᏗᏒ ᏥᎪᏩᏘᎲ, ᎯᎩᎾᎵᎢ, ᎠᏓᎯᏍᏗ ᎨᏐ. Uwagvdisv tsigowatihv, higinali'i , adahisdi geso (I've seen the future brother, it is murder.)
tangy10

Post by tangy10 »

Hmm - probably Famous Blue Raincoat. I think that has had the most mentions.... I also <3 Everybody Knows- which I can't see in many other posts for favourite.... But I also love If it be your will.... and Heart with no companion. Perhaps I should stop there!
Sochijava

Post by Sochijava »

This could change daily, but my first gut response without thinking too much: Lady Midnight, followed by Joan of Arc.
Toronto June 6 2008; Ottawa May 25 & 26 2009; Las Vegas 11 December 2010; Montreal 2012; Ottawa 2012; Kingston 2012.
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike »

Avalanche, I saw him do it in Berlin in 2008, it was amazing to witness just him and his guitar in action .
it is a great pity he did not include it in some more of his shows,
I have seen him 8 times in 2008, carlowmike
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
Denis

Post by Denis »

Avalanche
ali2009

Post by ali2009 »

"lover lover lover" field comander.

im so sorry its not part of the tour.

because its melody+words are perfect. and its cohen no 1.
SuzanneT

Post by SuzanneT »

Hello,
I have favorites among the songs more, but I think I prefer to Suzanne, which is probably understandable, given my name ;-) .. and then A Thousand Kisses Deep, Tower of song, Hallelujah, In My Secret Life, and I'm Your Man, The Future, Waiting For A Miracle :)...
... it is difficult to choose only one song that would result over the other ... amazing lyrics, catchy melodies and the voice .. .. I do not know too women, which would not act otherwise than aesthetic ;-) :lol:
What you have now is what you were, and what you will is what you do now...Buddha
Above the graves of those painful sheds tears for the unspoken words and deeds missed...Elizabeth Harriet Beecher Stowe
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

It varies according to the things happening in my life. It used to be Avalanche but now it's Take This Longing.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

In 1969 I heard a song sung by Judy Collins on the radio, That's no way to say goodbye' and felt like I had been knocked over by a train the words were so moving. I rushed out and bought it. Shortly after, a new significant other heard me playing it and said 'have you heard the original?' As the answer was, of course, no, he brought over his LP 'Songs of Leonard Cohen' for me. We were both a bit unsure about the bing bongs but, hey, this album was something really special. That was it, ever since Leonard has drifted around in my life, good times and bad times, sometimes in the foreground, sometimes at the back. So I would have to say this is my favourite song, it was my introduction to him.

It is the spooky truth that whichever of his songs I am listening to any any given time I always think is my favourite, and this sounds true of several people's feelings. Suzanne, The Gypsy's Wife (the Field Commander Cohen live version), The Stranger Song, Famous Blue Raincoat, Bird on a Wire.... see, it is impossible to pick!

Except, I have never taken to 'Take this Waltz', it comes to me that maybe it is because the words do not represent Leonard's ideas, but are illustrations of Lorca's mind and I just don't get it.
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
Steven915

Post by Steven915 »

At this time...Alexandra Leaving and So Long, Marianne.
Linnea

Post by Linnea »

I'm a new Cohen fan, but my favourite album of him, is Dear Heather, and my favourite songs are Nightingale, Because of and Dear Heather. I know it's Anjani who's composed Nightingale, but i really like it. The reason i like this album so much, is that he takes a step away from what he has done on his previous albums, an makes something entirely new, and the lyrics are beautiful, and he makes them even more beautiful the way he's arranged them.

Linnea=)
table top joe

Post by table top joe »

No contest......"Famous Blue Raincoat"
TheSpice-BoxOfEarth

Post by TheSpice-BoxOfEarth »

My favourite Leonard Cohen`s songs are (today) Take This Waltz, That Don`t Make It Junk, Memories, Because Of and Diamonds In The Mine.
A cross on every hill
A star, a minaret
So many graves to fill
O love, aren’t you tired yet?

- The Faith, Leonard Cohen
The Future

Post by The Future »

Well, my nickname should be an lead if I ever seen one :lol:
The Future has it all.
I been into Cohen for quite some time now and I decided to finally reply to The question.
What ever it's worth i can say I so far havent heard one Cohen song not wrth listening to.
mr.midnight

Post by mr.midnight »

What's your favorite Leonard Cohen song today or this week? That's what we ought to call this.

Avalanche.

"So the great affair is over but whoever would have guessed
it would leave us all so vacant and so deeply unimpressed."

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”