Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen's song?

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
skunk

Re: Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen's song?

Post by skunk »

I hate threads like this...

Hearing the opening to Suzanne and knew straight away I would be hooked. That was 17 years ago. The Girl who gave me the tape left me for a surfer.

The very next girlfriend I had taught me how to play the fingerpicking style. She left me for a house Dj.

These days I don't tell many women I am a Cohen fan.

Suzanne. Obvious choice. Genius Song

Love these sorts of threads
vienna55

Post by vienna55 »

for me personally there is no favourite leonard song ,they are all my favourites,to me with leonards songs they can allways fit the mood im in ,like dylan, like joni,like christie moore and so many others ,even lou reeds berlin which many people consider the most depressing album of all time ,i find great art in there .The incredible strng band are one of my favourite bands from the sixties, so different from L.C yet its art ,whatever that is ,each to its one thats what i say. check out tymon dogg?
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Am I the only one who thinks that "Coming back to you " is Leonard's best song . It seems to be a song that gets overlooked but when I hear the words especially the last verse : even in your arms I know I'LL never get it right . Even when you bend to give me comfort in the night. !! Pure poetic genious
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
GhostofTomJoad

Post by GhostofTomJoad »

Hi, my first time here...second post

For me, it's almost impossible to pick one...there're way too many songs that I love. But, am I the only one who likes Heart With No Companion?
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Hi Ghost
I think Ron Sexsmith likes the heart with no companion . I seem to remember reading that it was his favorite Cohen song and he covered it on his first album .
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
mirrormist

Post by mirrormist »

hi

there are so many to choose from. If pressed It would have to be "Famouse Blue Raincoat"

Best wishes

http://www.mirrormist.com
"Wearing dark glasses protects my blindness from the dangers of enlightenment"
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

It's so hard to choose a favourite, if someone held a gun to my head I'd probably pick Master Song - at the moment at any rate - I find my favourite will change depending on my mood and what's going on in my life.
alb123

Post by alb123 »

I've been a fan of Leonard Cohen's work for approximately 15 years or so. The subject of "favorite album or song" is always a tricky topic. Having said that, from June 08 until December 25th of 08, I suffered with a dying liver which kept me in the hospital for about 90% of those days. Thank god for my BlackBerry phone and 16GB data card to keep me entertained with approximately 3500 songs. Considering Leonard Cohen is one of my favorite artists, I listened to all of his work SEVERAL times over during those miserable days. I'm healing now, from a successful liver transplant at the ripe old age of 34 and over the last three months I still have one song in particular echoing in my head, repeatedly. Ballad of the Absent Mare. I don't know what it is. The lyrics and melody are beautiful, as so many of Mr. Cohen's songs are. There is something about that song that moves me in a way that no other song ever has. So, for the sake of answering the question of this thread, I have given you my answer...
Waterbury, CT - May 14, 2009
Las Vegas, NV - Dec 11, 2010 (Final Show of Leonard's 3 year World Tour) INCREDIBLE!
Boston, MA - Dec 15, 2012 (Best L.C. concert I've been to!)
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

They tend to rotate, depending on my life at any given moment. Right now my favourite is Take This Longing.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
sensei_deano

Post by sensei_deano »

Like many others on here, my favourites change from time to time, though at the moment I would have to choose "Famous Blue Raincoat". It just gets better everytime I listen to it!
Vestige

Post by Vestige »

Hi!
I`m the little Finn who can`t speak English and I`m new here. Leonard Cohen`s music is my passion. At the moment my favourites songs are Joan of Arc (live version),Gypsy wife, Dance Me to the End of Love, Take This Waltz, Anthem and Because of. Cohen has never done bad song!
yaniv297

Post by yaniv297 »

Famous blue raincoat... one of the greatest songs ever
LastTimeISawYou

Post by LastTimeISawYou »

Most Leonard Cohen songs when I am listening to them I think "This is my Favourite"
I sometimes just can't decide. However mostly I think it is Famous Blue Raincoat or is it Suzanne or So Long Marianne or ????? I can't decide again????
No I will stick with Famous Blue Raincoat. Since buying Songs of Love and Hate in 1971or2 it has been my favourite more often than not.
faithfully

Famous Blue Raincoat

Post by faithfully »

Famous Blue Raincoat

As it is a very dark song! ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aRKZFR5imM

Leonard even mentions the Clintons (or some kind of ;-) )

New york is cold, but I like where Im living
Theres music on clinton street all through the evening.
betteriswuve

Post by betteriswuve »

It's difficult to choose only one song, because I don't have only one favourite Cohen's song, but one of my all times favourite is "One of us cannot be wrong"

oh please, let me come into the storm...

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”