CONCERT REPORT: Paris, November 24-26

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Patyou

CONCERT REPORT: Paris, November 24-26

Post by Patyou »

The facade of the mythical olympia
Attachments
Photo0029.jpg
Photo0029.jpg (154.69 KiB) Viewed 19830 times
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in
SuzanneC

Re: Paris 24-26 november 2008

Post by SuzanneC »

Don't say, that yesterday there was no other fabulous evening in Paris :D Or you are all still speachless? Understandable :D

Prague 27th September / Berlin 4th October / RAH 17th November
Last edited by SuzanneC on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olive31

Post by olive31 »

Leonard gave the Parisian audience a beautiful show for his first night at the Olympia!!! :D :D :D
I had the chance to seat on the second row of orchestra. ;-)
Here are my videos. :D

asta

Post by asta »

Olive: Did you record "If it be Your Will?" Asta
olive31

Post by olive31 »

asta wrote:Olive: Did you record "If it be Your Will?" Asta
Sorry I didn't (no battery left). :cry:
You might already know my video from Dublin. ;-)
racerbear02

Paris 24th november 2008

Post by racerbear02 »

The Monday evening show at the Olympia Hall was absolutely fantastic, I know it is easy for fans to keep saying this, but it was certainly true, the venue was smallish, about 2000- 2500 people and this gave a wonderfully intimate atmosphere to the show.

The performance seemed to be even more polished than at the previous events I have attended with only very minor sound errors which were quickly corrected and an almost faultless lighting performance.

The singers and musicians were also on their very best form and I was pleased to find that the songs had regained a bit more of their ‘life’ when compared to the offering at Forest National in Brussels a month before, perhaps it was the quality of the acoustics in the venue that was better in Paris, but for whatever reason, the whole evening was inspired.
Hallelujah had regained its triumphalism and was much more rounded, and yet again ‘The Partisan’ was truly magnificent, a fabulous performance again by Javier Mas and in the French speaking capital, Cohen introduced more phrases in French, the overall presentation led to the first standing ovation of the evening.

There were more songs than at any of the previous venues I have visited, I was too involved in the concert to keep count but I would suspect around 28 or so including a welcome return of the reading of ‘A thousand kisses deep’

My only regret now is that I have no more shows to look forward to, if last night is destined to be the last time that I see Leonard Cohen live, then I could not want for a better performance as a final memory.

Thank you again to all involved in putting this tour together, I am sure it has been a lot of work, but your efforts have made a lot of people VERY happy indeed.
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

Great videos, Olive. I love the part in the Partisan (3 minute mark) where everyone cheers when Leonard sings "j'ai tant d'amis" (I have so many friends).
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
cpl593h

Post by cpl593h »

one major highlight that i have not seen before was an even greater element of fun

(DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT THE SURPRISE SPOILED - IN CASE IT HAPPENS AGAIN)

i have not seen this mentioned before but on the first night in Paris, during The Future, when LC sings the 2nd 'white man dancing' he instead sings 'white girls dancing' and the Webb Sisters did a cartwheel each across the stage!!

i am not making this up! it was - as they say in france - crazy!

it added another fun dimension to what was our 4th LC concert this year

all was wonderful: the venue, the audience, the band, the set and LC himself

a dream
Melvyn

Post by Melvyn »

Re the cartwheels in Paris, I think they've been done at each of the recent shows, certainly Bournemouth.

Regards.

**'That's right - and it has been discussed here in other threads! :razz: / Jarkko ***
phillip

Post by phillip »

they did the cartwheels in Birmingham UK too, I was there great concert :D
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar »

I had the good fortune to buy a ticket from the last minute release at Olympia, for Monday 24th, big thank you to cpl593h for posting.
Democracy is one of two I managed to record http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evP5kUeTs20, will post to youtube link
The whole concert was wonderful, as always, and I felt because it was the smallest venue I have been to it made it
all the more special .

I was very lucky to bump into Javier Mas, Bob Metzger and Rafael Gayol heading into rehersals before the concert and after the
concert I had a word with Adam Cohen, lovely gentlemen one and all.
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
qbera6

Post by qbera6 »

24th November, what a night, what a city, what an artist...
this was my 4th Leonard Cohen concert (Dublin,Manchester,edinburgh and now Paris) and would have to say it was unreal AGAIN. Very similar to Manchester concert - similar venue capacity and atmosphere. Got to hear the Partisan and Chelsea Hotel for the first time (AMAZING!)
Leonard and th band in fantastic form....
"Vocals,Harp and Gymnastics...Charlie and Hattie Webb, the sublime Webb Sisters" Hillarious, you're going to find out soon.
There were at least 4 cameras so i'm keeping my fingers crossed there is going to be a live DVD "Live from the Olympia,Paris"
I miss Leonard already
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Olive~

Your videos are awesome!!! I have just finished watching ALL of them and I feel I was right there in Paris! You must have experience in video-taping. Everything was so smooth and perfect! SO SO good to see Leonard again, and he seemed to be enjoying himself completely. Many thanks....merci, merci!

Diana~
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus »

Wonderful movies Olive - thank you so much. Apart from those people from Australia & New Zealand who travelled to Europe and Canada for this amazing tour, it is movies like yours that have kept us in touch with this amazing tour. It is our turn in January and February next year to experience these great moments in history and we hope we can reciprocate with movies as good as yours. The excitment is building and it is still 2 months before Leonard runs on to our stages.
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
olive31

Post by olive31 »

Thanks a lot for watching my videos, I'm happy to share these moments with you. I really was lucky to be seated so close to the stage, I couldn't help filming. ;-)
Yesterday, I posted "Hallelujah". :D

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”