CONCERT REPORT: London, RAH, November 17-18

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Kanga

Re: London RAH, 17-18 November 2008

Post by Kanga »

Wonderful night. Spellbinding performance. Enthusiastic and respectful audience. :D :D :D :D
2008 17 Jul - O2, London; 17 Nov - RAH, London; 22 Nov - NEC, Birmingham
2009 11 Jul - MB World, Weybridge
2012 9 Sept - Wembley Arena, London
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

I was at Bournemouth too & yes, it was excellent. Yesterday though was extra special, so glad we decided to get the 'special tickets' & go. More intimate, better audience reaction, Leonard very relaxed.

I'm your woman - What a great picture above. Green with envy at your good fortune!
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
K-Holed

Post by K-Holed »

It's interesting to note that Avalanche seems to have been cut from the UK setlists. I'm going to see him again in Manchester and I hope he plays it there. It's probably my favourite song and I've been somewhat secretly yearning for it, even though I've not been disapointed by any of his concerts so far.
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one »

Hydriot he spaketh thusly
"What made the RAH for me the third-most memorable of his concerts was the excellent company and outstanding seats. The prize for the most colourful character of the night has to go to Mickey_one's guest, who, as the concert progressed, seemed to transfer to a different planet, even sitting on a high balcony rail to be photographed with the band in the background in the middle of a number!"

I think the lady simply transferred seats, rather than planets, and at the invitation of Leonard's crew. Wow she was so lucky to be selected. Then I noticed how graciously she responded when one of them asked to take her picture mid song.

I didn't enjoy the concert nearly as much as O2. It was nonetheless a memorable performance from a great artist

Michael
(don't even talk to me about Bird on the Dire)
pegasus4

Post by pegasus4 »

by K-Holed on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:13 pm

It's interesting to note that Avalanche seems to have been cut from the UK setlists. I'm going to see him again in Manchester and I hope he plays it there. It's probably my favourite song and I've been somewhat secretly yearning for it, even though I've not been disapointed by any of his concerts so far.K-Holed
Have to agree with K-Holed on Avalanche.One of my all time favourites from lLeonard-such a powerful song but although I've seen him 3 times this year Avalanche wasn't on the set list.Many thanks to those who have posted clips of Avalanche from the 2008 tour on U-tube.--Leonard alone on stage under a spotlight with guitar-a wonderful contrast to the ensemble numbers and a reminder of Leonard in the early days.

PS-envious of all of you seeing him at the RAH.
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Just home from a wonderful few days again. I cannot add any more about Leonard. As i said before... he came, we saw, he conquered.
Long live Leonard!
One of the highlights for me also was when Leonards devastatingly handsome Prince of Precision Rafael.... blew a kiss and flashed that killer smile on the big screen...... be still my beating heart!
It was so great to meet everyone again and some people for the first time. Lord Michael.... thanks for the laughs :D .. Lovely to meet Jarkko, Eija, Padma, Paula, her friend, Marie and Albert also from Dublin, Helen and Scott, Martin, Dave, Barry and Dave again, Mia, Deena, Joe, Marco, Andrea and last but not least the great Henning. Oh a special thank you to Zihad.... who went to the trouble of finding my seat in the hall from the Forum and came to say hello to me, which was really sweet!
Sorry if I left anyone out... it was not intentional................ hope to see you all again next year.

Ah well... back to reality! :(
Last edited by tinderella on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher B

Post by Christopher B »

Manchester was a wonderful experience as it had been 20 years since I had last seen Leonard and his performance exceeded all expectations. Edinburgh was memorable for the grandeur of the venue. The RAH on Monday was magnificent. 3 hours 10 minutes, give or take, a few new songs and twists to others and a truly great performance from Leonard, Sharon, The Webb's and the band. As usual Leonard appeared to be enjoying himself and his exuberance seemed infectious both on and off stage. A fantastic venue bringing back memories of 1988 and with real sense of warmth from a rightly ecstatic audience. I then made a mistake by going to see Tosca tonight. A very good performance which would normally have moved me but alas, nothing, as although you shouldn't compare I was constantly thinking about Monday evening and the feeling of excitement and spine tingling moments which were now missing. Looking forward to the NEC on Saturday. If the RAH was bettered by the O2 that must have been some experience.

"There are some men
who should have mountains
to bear their names to time"
LastRose

Post by LastRose »

[quote="hydriot"]

Thank you Mickey_one for offering glimpses into your professional life (the prize for the most colourful character of the night has to go to Mickey_one's guest, who, as the concert progressed, seemed to transfer to a different planet, even sitting on a high balcony rail to be photographed with the band in the background in the middle of a number!)

Our seats were outstanding. I was in the front row of Block O, right up against the stage, and at the same level as it. In fact there was a pathway onto the stage at the end of my row, just eight seats away (and guarded by a perfectly human bouncer). Large numbers of roses had been purloined from the Troubadour's table settings, and Padma and other ladies assembled at this strategic point (stage left) ready to throw them at an appropriate moment. Unfortunately, Leonard always exits stage right, so the first to throw (Mickey-one's friend) failed to attract his attention.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'd like to thank my collaborator Dino (yes, the musician) who kindly obliged to my request of picking up the rose and placing it where it eventually attracted Leonard's attention.

Thank you Leonard for picking up my rose, and smelling and keeping it in your hands while singing.

Thank you Padma for being a great support and sharing my joy.

And a huge thank you goes to my most WONDERFUL companion Mickey_One, without whom the night would not have been possible.

And as for you hydriot...Do I sense a little bit of suppressed envy? I know you like it subdued, but subdued I am not...nor am I rigid, pompous or a wallflower like you are! I was not there to please you or the crowd. I don't live my life by your or anyone else's rules for that matter. Leonard's music makes me feel alive, it brings out the passion in me and I like it that way... If you don't, I suggest you stay at home and continue to sing along in the comfort of your own shower.

Mickey_One's exuberant guest
(a.k.a. the most colourful character at RAH)
goldie fish

Post by goldie fish »

"Ireland continues to bewilder the world." - L. Cohen, 14-06-08

Dublin June 14 & 15, London Nov 17 & 18
Mackla

Post by Mackla »

Tonight's show was lovely. Nice to hear 'the Partisan', which wasn't on the setlist when I saw him in Manchester in June.

Very grateful for the ticket allocation via this site! A really nice gesture.

A bit sad to see certain people trying to play uberfan, though.
tommylen

Post by tommylen »

I like that Mackla.Post of the site.
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one »

tinderella53 wrote:Just home from a wonderful few days again. I cannot add any more about Leonard. As i said before... he came, we saw, he conquered.
Long live Leonard!
One of the highlights for me also was when Leonards devastatingly handsome Prince of Precision Raphael.... blew a kiss and flashed that killer smile on the big screen...... be still my beating heart!
It was so great to meet everyone again and some people for the first time. Lord Michael.... thanks for the laughs :D .. Lovely to meet Jarrko, Elija ( i bet i spell it wrong )Padma Paula, her friend, Marie and Albert also from Dublin, Helen and Scott, Martin, Dave, Barry and Dave again, Mia, Deena, Joe, Marco, Andrea and last but not least the great Henning. Oh a special thank you to Zihad.... who went to the trouble of finding my seat in the hall from the Forum and came to say hello to me, which was really sweet!
Sorry if I left anyone out... it was not intentional................ hope to see you all again next year.

Ah well... back to reality! :(
it was indeed your pleasure to meet me
Lord Mickey of One
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one »

Mackla wrote:Tonight's show was lovely. Nice to hear 'the Partisan', which wasn't on the setlist when I saw him in Manchester in June.

Very grateful for the ticket allocation via this site! A really nice gesture.

A bit sad to see certain people trying to play uberfan, though.

shake off that sadness, if I can survive that infamous Bird dirge you can surely survive other people being different from yourself in how they express their enthusiasm. You must try in your way to be free.
shadowsonthewood

Post by shadowsonthewood »

Christopher B wrote:I then made a mistake by going to see Tosca tonight. A very good performance which would normally have moved me but alas, nothing, as although you shouldn't compare I was constantly thinking about Monday evening and the feeling of excitement and spine tingling moments which were now missing. "

Should've seen Elektra last night. Blew me out of any sad stupor I might've been in. After listening to people 'expressing' themselves at the O2, it reminded me that people can behave appropriately after all.
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir »

Wow.

This time last year i barely knew who LC was. After falling in love with his music earlier this year I decided I had to go see him when he first announced the London O2 dates. I was so blown away I just had to see him again so I got tickets for last night's RAH show. I didn't think it could possibly get any better than the O2 but it did.

Do you think it's unlikely he will ever tour again considering his age? It makes me sad knowing I might never get to experience such amazingness again. Not that I'd blame him for wanting to take it easy, of course. Perhaps I'll just be excessive and try and get to the Brighton show too :D

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”