CONCERT REPORTS: Glasgow, November 5 and 6

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
commonweal

Re: Glasgow, November 5-6

Post by commonweal »

Just back from another knock-out performance. Very similar to the previous night. Some changes to the setlist, and a less formulaic feel to the opening half hour, I felt. Bird on the Wire and In My Secret Life were particularly good tonight, within that sequence.

Changes to setlist from the previous night: That Don't Make it Junk replaced Sisters of Mercy in the first set. Leonard introduced it by saying that he knew Glasgow was a hard-drinking city, and that the song addressed this. Cute, but it's a not a trade I would have made (but what do I know). In the second set there was no Democracy: it turned up later, replacing Closing Time in the encores. Was tonight's concert the first in the tour with no Closing Time? The wonderful Neil Larson accompanied recitation of A Thousand Kisses Deep re-appeared towards the end of the second set. It was great having it back - the first time since the end of the Summer tour, I think?

Tonight, the audience was a bit more lively from the off. Like last night, the show was outstanding and it was a humbling pleasure to be there. Thank you to everyone who made the show so good. And thank you to all of those of you who have wished my wife a happy birthday today. She has had a very happy birthday and is genuinely touched by your kindnesses.

Most of all, thank you Leonard and thank you to all the members of the band for these two wonderful nights. Javier Mas's introduction to Who by Fire, The Partisan, The Gypsy's Wife, Democracy, and the sublime Famous Blue Raincoat were, for me, among very many highlights of these rich nights.

Goodnight y'all. Xxxx.
commonweal

Post by commonweal »

I really should be in bed asleep, but two further points you may be interested in: (1) tonight Leonard played two different guitars (not at the same time). A black one in the first and second sets and a brown one for Famous Blue Raincoat in the encores. Same make. Whether they were the same model I cannot say. (2) Like last night, this show was filmed. Tonight there were four cameras in front of the stage. Those doing the filming seemed to me to be part of the crew, not employees of the venue. From my front row seats I could see clearly what was being filmed. It looked to my wholly amateurish eyes like a seriously professional job.

I really do not think that there can be much doubt now that there will be a DVD made of this tour "... but I may be wrong."
tommylen

Post by tommylen »

Another night to savour.The band were brilliant and that includes the vocals.
I have been a fan for more years than I want to recall and to see Leonard three times in six months
is a dream.

The backward skipping is something to behold.Reminds me of Rumple Stiltskin.

Ill probably never get another opportunity to see Leonard .

He is some man.
cpl593h

Post by cpl593h »

these are all great, enthusiastic and loving reviews of the glasgow opener. wish i had been there

i am so chuffed LC is back in the uk, though i am waiting for the intimate Paris gig to see him next - the olympia is like manchester opera house, for those who went there.

thanks to all for such effusive and enthusiastic reviews - they have got me excited all over again
supermiffy

Post by supermiffy »

I was in the second row and took some photos and video too. As i tried to do this covertly it is a bit shaky and a bit out of focus but excellent none the less... will try to post them later ... or links to.
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

If anyone made a video of Democracy on November 5th I would LOVE to see it!
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
mirka

Post by mirka »

Introduction to 'Democracy' was recited in the Spring leg of the tour,it was dropped later, and reintroduced lately.
Here is how LC introduced the song at the Charlottetown concert (May 18):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7abPDaQ1ck
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
supermiffy

Post by supermiffy »

supermiffy

Post by supermiffy »

tommylen

Post by tommylen »

These are excellent clips.
Can I repeat myself and say that these were two exquisite concerts.
Leonard and his band put themselves into the concerts and as you can see from the clips they were
stupendously fabulous.
Enriched my life.
We came out and agreed that we had witnessed genius.
tommylen

Post by tommylen »

Supermiffy

You didnt post your best clip.

I think Ive done this for you and hope thats o.k.

Its a very good one too.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=06o2B00cr8U
elljay

Post by elljay »

I can only agree with everything others have said! The Thursday concert was unbelievable and I truly felt I never wanted it to end - along with everyone else in the audience! Leonard skipped on and off stage for the encores like my 7 year old son - he proves that age is just a number! I was in Manchester for the first show but in Glasgow had a far superior seat (row K in the Stalls) with a fantastic view. In a way I missed the band introductions from the summer though they still had the solo spotlights where he doffed his hat and the audience clapped spontaneously on many of these.

All in all a truly memorable evening!
danny

Post by danny »

Well done Supermiffy and thanks for your latest video 'That Don't Make It Junk'
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aONUs19JD ... re=related
as I could only seen him once - your video is part compensation. How would you compare the two nights yourself ?

There were hundreds of cameras and phones, I hope someone does post footage of Democracy on the 5th, or it is included in any DVD just for historical reasons.
popsy

Post by popsy »

PURE DEAD BRILLIANT !!!!
I was at the Armadillo on the 5th and words fail me for how stupendous LC was on the night. THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES LEN.
On the evening of Obama's election, the rendition of Democracy was special and unique.
Wish I was in Cardiff tonight.
stu

Post by stu »

Newly converted!

I was at the Armadillo on Thursday 6th to see Leonard, and it was a revelation!

I'd only been made aware of Leonard during the summer by an older friend who's a long-time fan who'd seen him at Edinburgh Castle and completely raved about it.

It was sold out by the time I went to buy tickets, so I bought two tickets on ebay at way over the face value. I then spent the next few months listening to his albums, particularly the live ones, and hearing just how good he sounds live.

On Thursday, I realised that they were worth every single pound - and a lot lot more. I've seen a lot of artists and bands in the last twenty years, but there was just something utterly magical about witnessing Leonard's performance. The sound was crystal clear (as I've always experienced it in the Armadillo) and Leonard's voice was quite something to behold - even at 74.

Someone elsewhere on the net mentioned that we should be glad to be alive at the same time as Leonard, which I thought was just a super-fan over-exaggerating, but there really was a feeling of witnessing an all-time great performing. This may sound shocking, but with most music, I've never really bothered about lyrics, but I do enjoy hearing a good human voice. With Leonard, you just know you're listening to our greatest living poet (debate!) sharing his genius lyrics and poetry with us. There truly was a feeling of being in the presence of true greatness.

My only regret now is the feeling that he might never tour again, and that one show was the only time I'll see him live. If it is, then it's a memory to treasure, but if he ever does tour again, I'll be aiming for front row seats, and going to more than one show!

The only thing I'd say could've made it better for me would've been if he'd performed Lover Lover Lover (especially as performed on Field Commander Cohen live) - I nearly shouted for it during the encores - now I'm wishing I did. :(

I'm a staunch atheist, but seeing Len felt the closest I'd get to a 'religious' experience. Should I hesitate to call him God-like, or are we all of that opinion anyway!?

Just absolutely fantastic - and very hard to convey the greatness of the performance when we don't have his genius way with words.

stu

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”