Who is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

This section is for all other music-related topics
Yankovic

Who is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Post by Yankovic »

Who is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?:

The Diamonds, The Clovers, The Five Satins, The Penguins, The Surfaris, The Hollies, The Troggs, The Turtles, The Monkees, The Kingston Trio, Herman's Hermits, The Kingsmen, The Zombies, The Searchers, The Spinners, The Box Tops, The Shangri-Las, The Chantels, The Chiffons, The Marvelettes, The Crystals, The Harptones, The Miracles, The Contours, The Whispers, Tommy James and the Shondells, Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Osmonds, The Moody Blues, The Buckinghams, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Chicago, Genesis, Derek and the Dominos, The Spencer Davis Group, Blind Faith, Captain Beefheart, The Paul Butterfield Band, The Blues Project, Iron Butterfly, Foghat, Blue Cheer, Three Dog Night, The Doobie Brothers, The Commodores, Kool & The Gang, Dire Straits, Procol Harum, Poco, Yes, Deep Purple, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull, Alice Cooper, KISS, Rush, The Cars, Cheap Trick, Heart, Electric Light Orchestra, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Journey, Styx, Boston, Kansas, America, Toto, Chic, Thin Lizzy, Blue Oyster Cult, Judas Priest, Little Feat, Fairport Convention, Steppenwolf, The Average White Band, The Guess Who, Canned Heat, Hot Tuna, Mott the Hoople, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Grandfunk Railroad, Love, Supertramp, Roxy Music, Manfred Mann, Mannheim Steamroller, The Carpenters, The Steve Miller Band, The Stooges, The New York Dolls, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Spinal Tap, KC and the Sunshine Band, Tony Orlando and Dawn, The Neville Brothers, ABBA, Air Supply, Bread, War, Free, 10cc, Ambrosia, Joy Division, New Order, Television, The Buzzcocks, Billy Idol, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Def Leppard, Beastie Boys, INXS, Bon Jovi, 10,000 Maniacs, Guns 'N' Roses, Nirvana, Pearl Jam

Peter, Paul and Mary, Jan and Dean, Sonny and Cher, Chad and Jeremy, Ashford and Simpson, Loggins and Messina, Seals and Crofts, England Dan and John Ford Coley, Hall & Oates, Rufus and Chaka Khan, Tears For Fears, Wham!, Richard Thompson, Linda Thompson

Ella Fitzgerald, Big Mama Thornton, Dee Dee Sharp, Peggy Lee, Peggy Sue, Barbra Mandrell, Barbra Streisand, Leslie Gore, Connie Francis, Patsy Cline, Petula Clark, Dolly Parton, Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Nico, Melanie, Laura Nyro, Janis Ian, Mary Wells, Roberta Flack, Dionne Warwick, Patti Labelle, Marianne Faithful, Anne Murray, Darlene Love, Cher, Tina Turner, Bette Midler, Carly Simon, Linda Ronstadt, Helen Reddy, Rita Coolidge, Melissa Manchester, Donna Summer, Gloria Gaynor, Chaka Khan, The Pointer Sisters, Olivia Newton-John, Stevie Nicks, Kate Bush, Cyndi Lauper, Pat Benatar, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson

Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Mel Torme, Pat Boone, Johnny Mathis, John Coltrane, Willie Nelson, Harry Belafonte, The Big Bopper, Chubby Checker, Tiny Tim, Ben E. King, Lee Dorsey, Bobby Rydell, Paul Anka, Neil Sedaka, Dick Dale, Donovan, Fabian, Tom Jones, Neil Diamond, Engelbert Humperdink, Barry Manilow, Kris Kristofferson, Kenny Rogers, Randy Newman, Phil Ochs, Don Ho, Don McLean, Jim Croce, Cat Stevens, Harry Chapin, John Denver, Joe Cocker, Ringo Starr, Barry White, Lou Rawls, Albert King, Joe Tex, Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk, Todd Rundgren, Billy Preston, Aaron Neville, Harry Nillson, Jimmy Cliff, Leon Russell, Merle Haggard, Gram Parsons, Gordon Lightfoot, Steve Winwood, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Lionel Richie, Don Henley, Sting, Tim Buckley, Jeff Buckley, Boz Scaggs, Peter Frampton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ozzy Osbourne, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Warren Zevon, Tom Waits, Jimmy Buffet, Eddie Money, George Benson, Al Jarreau, James Ingram, Peabo Bryson, Luther Vandross, Herbie Hancock, Rick James, Kenny Loggins, Robert Palmer, Bryan Adams, George Michael, Meatloaf, "Weird Al" Yankovic

John Simon, Tom Dowd, Arif Mardin, Quincy Jones, Wolfman Jack, Casey Kasem, Bernie Taupin, David Foster
Last edited by Yankovic on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:56 am, edited 29 times in total.
They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom
Yankovic

Re: Who is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Post by Yankovic »

Little Steven advocates The Hollies for 2009
04.07.08 10:15 PM | 2009 Ceremony | Permalink
http://www.futurerockhall.com/blog.html ... try-id-157

"Little Steven" Van Zandt, E Street Band guitarist and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominating Committee member, was recently asked about who he will push for induction into the Rock Hall later this year:

Q: You worked hard to get the Dave Clark Five into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year. Who's on top of your list now of bands that ought to be in?

A: Right now the priority is the Hollies. It's ridiculous. I think Johnny Burnette & the Rock 'n' Roll Trio is still high on my list. . . . Paul Revere & the Raiders deserve to be in. Herman's Hermits deserve to be in.

Q: Really?!

A: Absolutely. People forget how important Herman's Hermits were when they started. . . . We all get very elitist about who should be in and who shouldn't, but I consider great, great, great '60s pop music absolutely essential to the development of the art form.

Van Zandt is clearly passionate about the artists who helped shape him as a musician during his youth (he was born in 1950), but does he really think the '60s are underrepresented in the Hall of Fame?

The Rock Hall generally nominates at least a couple of bands from the '60s every year, so you can pencil in The Hollies at the top of your list of potential nominees for the 2009 ballot.

Steven Van Zandt: The 1980s were a "bloated era of musical horror"
05.14.08 08:17 PM | Rock Hall Politics | Permalink

"Little Steven" Van Zandt, a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominating Committee member, let loose his opinions about the musical legacy of the 80's. While espousing the awesomeness of the video game Rock Band, and how it will create new drummers, he says, "Let this be the deathblow to those evil drum machines hanging around from that bloated era of musical horror we refer to as the '80s."

Van Zandt has already let it be known that he will be pushing for more '60s bands to be inducted into the Rock Hall next year. But these statements leave the impression that he will actively oppose bands who incorporated electronic music into their sound during the '80s (or even beyond). Not exactly what the Rock Hall was hoping for when it restructured the Nominating Committee two years ago.
annie blue

Post by annie blue »

Me. I'm definitely not in there.
I never answer, since it isn't you.
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

http://www.futurerockhall.com/blog.html ... try-id-155
Neil Diamond Disappointed He's Not in the Hall of Fame
05.09.08 09:10 PM | Snubbed | Permalink

Neil Diamond has been in the news lately, with the release of his new Rick Rubin-produced album and his cameo on American Idol. So it's not surprising that a reporter asked him about his absence from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
The star is disappointed he is continually turned down by the panel - even though he thinks he has made a very significant contribution to the industry. He says, "It makes me wonder. I've paid my dues, I think, and I think I've done good work. I'd like to be in there with my peers.

"Maybe you just have to keep doing it and I'll get in there some day."

Diamond has been eligible since 1988, and at some point over the past 20 years, the Rock Hall Nominating Committee has seriously discussed his credentials, but he has never appeared on final ballot.
The vast majority of Future Rock Hall voters (87%) are confident that Neil Diamond will one day be inducted.

A Case for Chicago
06.06.08 12:05 AM | Snubbed | Permalink

Phil Gallo, over at Variety, discusses whether or not Chicago and the Doobie Brothers should be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He argues that Chicago deserves it, but the Doobies don't (but he never really states why not).
His case for Chicago:

Chicago... were revolutionaries. "CTA," "Chicago," "III," "V," "VI" and "XI" pushed the limits on conceptual boundaries and displayed superb musicianship. And they had hits, which has somehow been labeled as a sin over time.
I have been appalled by the acts that have made it in ahead of them. It shows the bias of the hall's voters - they are either too old to have the wistful childhood memories of the early '70s or too young to fully appreciate how distinctive they were in the pop landscape at the time. Chicago made a difference back then.

Both Chicago and the Doobies are fan favorites, but each have been eligible for over 10 years without a single nomination, so they have to be considered long shots for future induction until the Rock Hall reconsiders the 70's.

VARIETY
http://weblogs.variety.com/thesetlist/2 ... nspar.html

Adding Transparency To A Critical Process: Giving Chicago Its Proper Place In The Rock 'n' Roll Canon
Chicago and the Doobie Brothers perform two shows this week at the Gibson Amphitheatre, yet another summer tour double bill that has made Chicago one of the strongest B.O. attractions at amphitheaters over the last several years.
Previous years have featured Earth, Wind & Fire, America and Huey Lewis & the News, but this year's trek will bring Chicago fans in contact with a set of fans who have something in common: An feeling that their band is being unfairly snubbed by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Well one side is right, despite there being a number of striking parallels. Both acts came of age in the early 1970s playing distinctive music that had only a modicum of a link to a 1960s sound; both had minor hits with covers, Chicago doing Spencer Davis Group's "I'm a Man" and the Doobies with the Byrds' "Jesus is Just All Right"; they had success using different vocalists; and their signature sound at the end of the decade bore little resemblance to the sound they started with. At various times in the 1970s, they were among the five most popular bands in the U.S.

The Doobies, out of San Jose in Northern California, delivered magical harmonies and a blueprint for rock music that drew on a range of elements; few acts fused hard rock and boogie with a front porch sensibility so convincingly; you can't tell me that the Dave Matthews Band does not rely on a similar formula.

Chicago, on the other hand, were revolutionaries. "CTA," "Chicago," "III," "V," "VI" and "XI" pushed the limits on conceptual boundaries and displayed superb musicianship. And they had hits, which has somehow been labeled as a sin over time.

Any kid who studied an instrument in the early 1970s saw the songs of Chicago and the Doobie Brothers as worthy challenges that once commanded, were sources of pride Both had exceptional, gifted guitarists though Chicago's Terry Kath has never received his true due while Jeff Baxter's talent have been thoroughly examined. The horn section and the key songwriter, Robert Lamm, still lead Chicago, which can still impress in concert when they step away from the wall of hits and proffer their more adventurous music; the Doobies less so.

Endurance does not win prizes in the performing arts -- until the creators are beyond retirement age. Chicago could have called it quits after Kath's death and let their 10 or so studio albums be the entirety of their catalog or they could have imploded in the early 1980s when MTV started shaping pop music and examples of '70s excess were tossed aside. They not only soldiered on, they reinvented their sound, creating a new mainstream sound for adults. Not my cup of tea musically, but an achievement nonetheless.

Rhino Records will release on June 17, "Stone of Sisyphus (XXXII)," the album Chicago turned in to Warner Bros. in 1993 that the label refused to release. Produced by Peter Wolf, it was a return to the adventurousness of their early '70s output and was deemed not commercial enough. The guys in the band packed their things and left WB at that point, but have never seen fit to release this work.

I was a fan of the band between the ages of 11 and 16 - basically the classic "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" through "Wishing You Were Here" - and was hired to write liner notes for their boxed set and few reissues in 2003. It feels far enough removed that I can return to writing about the band critically, which I have begged off for the last several years. Material on the boxed set, by the way, emphasized their deft compositional abilities, specifically the manner in which they used 20th century classical technique.

In the years since I wrote those liner notes - and I went in thinking the band had been under-appreciated critically and deserving of the Hall of Fame - I have been appalled by the acts that have made it in ahead of them. It shows the bias of the hall's voters - they are either too old t have the wistful childhood memories of the early '70s or too young to fully appreciate how distinctive they were in the pop landscape at the time. Chicago made a difference back then.
Having taken in mostly theater since returning from Cannes ("Chorus Line," "Jersey Boys"), my one concert was Cher, leaving me with 69 concerts and 181 acts to go on the path to 100/300. At least summer is here.

IDOLATOR
http://idolator.com/395198/variety-writ ... ll-of-fame

Variety Writer Wants To Know Why Chicago is Not In the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

I've actively avoided the early work of Chicago (thanks to a childhood spent hearing its later material), so I can't say whether I agree with Variety's Phil Gallo and his contention that the band and its "superb musicianship" has been unfairly kept out of the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame. But I'm intrigued by one of his claims: "It shows the bias of the hall's voters—they are either too old to have the wistful childhood memories of the early '70s or too young to fully appreciate how distinctive they were in the pop landscape at the time." Whether it's due to this alleged age schism (I doubt that the "rock experts" who get ballots don't include people with childhood memories of the early '70s) or not, there are quite a few commercially successful and even critically acclaimed artists who released notable works in that decade and have been ignored by the voting public.
Last edited by Yankovic on Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quasand

Post by Quasand »

The only reason Chicago is not in the Rock Hall is because of a personal vendetta. Jann Wenner, founder and editor of Rolling Stone Magazine, who is also a founding member of the Rock Hall and on the voting committee for the Rock Hall, plus some other Rolling Stone writers wanted Chicago to drop the horn section, but they wouldn't do it. In an interview with Down Beat magazine in 1972, Chicago was asked what they think of Rolling Stone magazine and if they read it. Peter Cetera said he takes it with him to the bathroom and wipes his ass with it! These are the reasons why Chicago is not in the Rock Hall!

Compared to other bands like Blood, Sweat & Tears, King Crimson and Deep Purple, Chicago didn't really have that many members! They only had 15! Only 9 of them played major roles and should be inducted!:

Terry Kath, Peter Cetera, Robert Lamm,
James Pankow, Lee Loughnane, Walter Parazaider,
Danny Seraphine, Bill Champlin, Jason Scheff

And unlike the above mentioned bands, Chicago is the # 2 selling American band of all time! Only the Beach Boys are ahead of them! If The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac were inducted with all the major members they had, so should Chicago!

Out of all the bands from the 60s and 70s who are not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Chicago's exclusion is the biggest travesty! Some would say the exclusion of Genesis from the Rock Hall is an even bigger one!

Grandmaster Flash and The Dave Clark Five being inducted ahead of Chicago and Genesis? WHAT A JOKE! :x
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

Quasand wrote:The Dave Clark Five being inducted ahead of Chicago and Genesis? WHAT A JOKE! :x
If Little Steven has his way again this coming November, you'll be seeing The Hollies and Herman's Hermits being inducted in 2009, along with Donna Summer, Chic and The Beastie Boys! :lol:
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

THIS IS A LETTER THAT I MAILED TO JANN WENNER, JOEL PERESMAN, TERRY STEWART, JON LANDAU, DAVE MARSH AND ANTHONY DECURTIS:

I am writing to inform you that you will be contacted sometime between now and the next four months by former U.S. President William Jefferson Clinton. Bill Clinton is very interested in being the one who gives the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction speech for Chicago—once they finally are inducted. If this is what it will take to get Chicago inducted, so be it! This would sure do wonders for your TV ratings and the ticket sales to the induction ceremony—having both Chicago and Bill Clinton there together.

Yes, Bill Clinton plays the saxophone. Bill Clinton performed on the Arsenio Hall Show in 1992. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQqhSkwrU_M Bill Clinton is a Chicago fan. Bill Clinton played Chicago's music at numerous events during his 1992 campaign for President. Chicago performed for Bill Clinton at the 1995 Presidential Gala. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99HckV4YZmA

Who would be the appropriate choice to give the induction speech for Chicago? Should it be a predecessor, a contemporary, or a follower? The Beach Boys? Earth, Wind & Fire? Herbie Hancock? Bruce Springsteen? On the other hand, maybe it should be someone who isn't even in the music industry who gives the induction speech for Chicago. It would have to be someone who really knows how to talk. Someone who can really delve into the music of his or her generation and give a descriptive, explanatory, analytical speech about Chicago's 1969-1979 era and jazz-rock fusion itself.

At this rate, it's going to take someone like President Bill Clinton to get Chicago inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. Bill Clinton can sit right next to you at the ceremony and watch Chicago perform. Chicago’s induction is long overdue. Induct Chicago now! Enough is enough!

Once again, you will be contacted by President Bill Clinton.
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

President Bill Clinton contact info

Mailing address
New York Office:

William J. Clinton Foundation
55 West 125th St.
New York, New York 10027
1-212-348-8882

Boston Office:
383 Dorchester Avenue, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02127

Clinton Presidential Center & Foundation Offices in Little Rock:
1200 President Clinton Ave.
Little Rock, AR 72201

Joel Peresman, President
The Rock And Roll Hall of Fame Foundation
1290 Avenue of the Americas
New York, New York 10104
http://www.rockhall.com
1-212-484-1754

Terry Stewart, President
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
1100 Rock and Roll Boulevard
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
(East Ninth Street at Lake Erie)
president@rockhall.org

Museum Offices:1-216-781-7625
staff@rockhall.org

Jann Wenner
Rollingstone Main Offices, 2nd Floor
1290 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10104-0298
1-212-484-1616
jannwenner@aol.com
jannwenner@aim.com

Jon Landau Management
158 Rowayton Avenue
Rowayton, Connecticut, 06853
1-203-854-0528

Anthony DeCurtis
ADeCurtis@aol.com
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

Someone at the Future Rock Hall http://www.futurerockhall.com website has come up with observations on how the Rock Hall chooses who to induct and who not to induct:

Comment of the week
10.01.07 11:04 PM | Rock Hall Politics | Permalink
This comment was posted by Matt on 9/29/07 in the 2008 Nominees thread. It has a number of astute observations about the realities of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction process: From paying special interest to the nomination process over the past few years, I've been able to draw several conclusions about the selection process.

If you have any insight or theories of your own, please share.

THINGS THAT WILL WORK IN YOUR FAVOR

1. Being a larger than life figure.
The Rock Hall wants to grab headlines, and will need to fill seats and get ratings from the ceremony. Madonna is an enduring pop culture phenomenon, and can be seen as the home run, marquee talent. Only Michael Jackson is really comparable here.

2. Being critically acclaimed AND commercially successful.
Critics and the masses are two distinct camps. If you have favor with both, your chances are excellent. Beastie Boys have sold very well over the course their career--Licensed to Ill was the top-selling rap album of the 80's, and check the wikipedia entry for its accolades. Paul's Boutique, huge critical favorite. Ill Communication topped the charts.

3. Continued success and longevity.
Just because your band is still together, doesn't mean it's relevant. If you've been in the game for decades, and get radio airplay with artists 20 years younger, you have a great chance. Avoid being labeled a nostalgia act.

4. Survival in the face of changing tastes.
Grunge destroyed hair metal. Bands like U2 and R.E.M. adapted and even elevated their careers. Survive cultural sea changes.

5. Have friends in high places.
If you're buddies with Jann Wenner, Jon Landau, Bruce Springsteen or Dave Marsh, you will probably get in.

6. Be old.
The selections are made by crusty dinosaurs. Sonic Youth didn't stand a chance with this committee.

7. Affirmative Action.
The nominating committee will always select several black candidates of wildly varying qualifications. Soul, Blues, R&B, Funk clearly have favor over some guitar-based, predominantly white sub-genres.

THINGS THAT WON'T WORK IN YOUR FAVOR

1. Being prog, hard rock or metal.
Clearly these are not committee favorites. Much of the artists classified as such are boring, pretentious, overly indulgent, or polarizing. Still, many others are great. But it doesn't really matter.

2. Lots of filler.
If you have several essential recordings, but lots of misfires, your legacy will be watered down. Concise and impactful careers, and consistenly good artists will be viewed more highly than low-percentage hitters (3 strikeouts for every home run).

3. Confusing history.
Deep Purple probably has 30 current and former members, denoting by Mach I, II, III, IV, V etc. Who do you nominate, who do you exclude? Nobody, it makes your head hurt just thinking about it.

4. Being overtly commercial at the expense of your art.
Bon Jovi and Journey, you lowest common denominator power balladeers, you don't stand a chance.

5. Enemies in high places.
Jann Wenner hates the Monkees. So they won't get in. Dave Marsh hates Kiss, so they won't get in either.

Can anyone think of any others?

Last edited by Yankovic on Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
simonc1952

Post by simonc1952 »

... and Richard Thompson.

No Gram Parsons? Remarkable...
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

simonc1952 wrote:No Gram Parsons? Remarkable...
Nominated in 2002, 2004, 2005 and lost every time

Here's his page at the futurerockhall...not affiliated with the rock hall

http://www.futurerockhall.com/artist.ph ... am_Parsons

Richard Thompson? Did he also record music with Linda Thompson? Richard and Linda Thompson? Did each one record solo albums as well? Which decade did they start recording in? What year?
Davido

Post by Davido »

Richard Thompson was a founding member of Fairport Convention, discovered by Joe Boyd, who secured their recording contract.Their debut album was released in 1968.
Richard T. had also played in school bands prior to this.
He met Linda Peters in 1972 and their first (of six) albums as a duo was released in 1974 - 'I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight'.
Linda Thompson left the folk-rock music scene in 1985 - divorced from Richard, she also suffered extreme stage-fright.
In 2003 she returned with the album 'Fashionably Late' - included several guest appearances and a reunion with Richard Thompson.The album's first track"Dear Mary" was co-written with son, Teddy,and sung with Richard, Teddy and daughter, Kamila.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

The 2009 Rock Hall Ceremony to take place at Cleveland's Public Hall
08.27.08 08:20 PM Filed in: 2009 Ceremony

Back in 1997 when Cleveland first hosted the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, it was held in a ballroom at the Renaissance Hotel. For the 2009 ceremony, Cleveland is moving up to the historic Public Hall, (aka Public Auditorium). Capacity is 11,500, but that will likely be reduced to under 10,000 after the VIP tables get set up on the floor.

The large venue will allow for the public sale of tickets to the event for the first time. Typically, when the ceremony is held in New York at the Waldorf Astoria, a seat will cost you at least $2000, if you can get invited. But here, the Rock Hall has mentioned that tickets should be available for under $100.
The event will be held on a yet to be determined day in March of 2009.

Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

Here is the Rock Hall Inductees Thread:
The Rock And Roll Hall of Fame: 1986-Present
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9472
kyleargyle wrote:Did that say no Frank Sinatra? I know what he did was hardly rock, but still, somehow that seems surprising to me.
Frank Sinatra would be inducted in the "Early Influence" or "Lifetime Achievement" category because he pre-dates Rock!
Here is the Frank Sinatra page at the Future Rock Hall: http://www.futurerockhall.com/artist.ph ... nk_Sinatra

The Rock Hall Nominating Committee met on September 9th!
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news ... ders_N.htm

THIS IS REALLY BAD! WHAT A SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS AT THE ROCK HALL:

Bon Jovi has best shot at 2008 Rock Hall of Fame induction
Bon Jovi has "just enough rock legitimacy among critics and sales power that it's hard to see skipping them," says MSN senior music producer Sam Sutherland.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is proud to induct Canada's weirdest band, Skinny Puppy …
OK, that's not a likely scenario, even if the industrial experimentalists are finally eligible. But when the nominating committee for the Rock Hall sits down today in New York to hash out nominees, the first step in the process that will elect the class of 2009, it will be choosing from a relatively unappetizing menu of first-time prospects.

The closest thing to the Madonnas, R.E.M.s, Van Halens and U2s that have starred at recent inductions is probably Bon Jovi.

Another leading prospect is the late blues guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan, but the rest of the crop — including Cyndi Lauper, k.d. lang, Billy Bragg, and metal extremists Slayer — are more marginal prospects.

Which means the committee will need to turn to holdovers — those previously eligible artists who have yet to gain sufficient support. Among them are previous nominees Chic, Donna Summer and the Beastie Boys, all of whom must confront the "Is disco or rap really rock?" conundrum that regularly polarizes voters and fans.

"If people are adamant in their disregard for disco," says MSN senior music producer Sam Sutherland, "Chic is in trouble. But talk about a band with crazy chops who used a rock vocabulary … they should be in."

Sutherland feels Bon Jovi has the inside track for induction. "They have just enough rock legitimacy among critics and sales power that it's hard to see skipping them," he says.

A number of perennial fan favorites long ignored by the Hall — Rush, the Moody Blues, Chicago — shouldn't raise their expectations, Sutherland says. Their disconnect with the critics and executives who dominate the nominating committee is still in strong effect. But he holds out hope for one long-overlooked legend, Neil Diamond.

"He's got his credibility back, working with (producer) Rick Rubin," Sutherland says. "All those years of spangled shirts and summer shed performances obscured his '60s Brill Building credentials. But now he's got a much better shot than he did 10 years ago."
According to MSN senior music producer Sam Sutherland, A number of perennial fan favorites long ignored by the Hall--Rush, the Moody Blues, Chicago--shouldn't raise their expectations, Sutherland says. Their disconnect with the critics and executives who dominate the nominating committee is still in strong effect. But he holds out hope for one long-overlooked legend, Neil Diamond.

Chicago is mentioned as a "holdover."

From a recent interview with Chicago:

Robert Lamm said: I have been told by members of the Board who I'm acquainted with that Chicago's name does come up year to year. We have kind of gone through the whole vetting process but we've just never made it through to number one.
From the President of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum, Terry Stewart:

I nominated Chicago last year. Unfortunately, they did not receive enough votes to make the final ballot. And no, there are no political issues or bad blood…just not enough votes.
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

simonc1952 wrote:No Gram Parsons? Remarkable...
From Future Rock Hall - Gram Parsons
http://www.futurerockhall.com/artist.ph ... am_Parsons

Invented country-rock

Posted by Velvet Tim on Thursday, 03.15.07 @ 17:57pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Belongs... undoubtedly

Posted by Chalkie on Monday, 09.24.07 @ 16:33pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OH MOY GOODNESS!!!! He should've been in a long time ago!!!!

Posted by Robert Bock on Tuesday, 10.2.07 @ 09:54am
HOW HAS HE BEEN OVERLOOKED? He was the father of country rock, and all who came after him like the Eagles, Poco and other 70's artists were definitely influenced by his sound.

Posted by greg on Saturday, 01.5.08 @ 13:22pm
For his contributions to the Byrds, The Flying Burrito Brothers, his famous influences on the Rolling Stones. His friendship with Keith Richards and giving Emmylou Harris her first big break. Last but not least, his tragic rock star death at age 26 and the famous story of how Phil Kauffman stole his body and burned it in the desert. That my friends has all the makings of a Rock and Roll legend.

Posted by LJ on Thursday, 02.14.08 @ 23:44pm
He'll probably get in, but alot of his contemporaries feel he really wasted his talent thru uncontrolled partying (when David Crosby thinks you're partying too much, then you probably are) and they also resented his 'trust fund baby' status & money (before they all became millionaires, anyway).

Return to “Other music”