CONCERT REPORT: Arhuus (July 6)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Nordlaender

CONCERT REPORT: Arhuus (July 6)

Post by Nordlaender »

I still cry tears of joy, it was so f*****g beautiful. During the concert I rang up my old man, who couldn't be there, even though my cell phones audio capabilities is utterly crap, he listened for more than 1½ hour. That says a whole lot about how special this night was.

The only downside i can think of was the sound, Leonards voice was spot on all the time, but some of the other band members was nearly muted from time to time. I would also have liked if they had brought along a violin player, that instrument has an immense impact on the live recording Field Commander Cohen from 1979. But then again, the Webb sisters was there and god damn those girls could sing. All 12.000 spectators was speechless when they performed "if it be your will".

All in all, this was without a doubt the evening of a life time.
Neville 45

Re: Arhus (July 6)

Post by Neville 45 »

Glad you had such a great time! I agree with you, a gig of a lifetime and a tour too i think!
Love is the Law
Amrei

Post by Amrei »

I attended the concert in Århus July 6th - and it was incredible. I have seen Leonard Cohen 20 years ago and at two concerts 15 years ago - and he does not seem to have changed. I really love his humour and small ironic remarks. The band played wonderfully and this evening again showed, that his songs are just something different, when he sings them himself. Nobody will ever be able to do it this way! There were 12000 people at the concert yesterday - but thanks to Leonard Cohen you would have been able to hear a needle fall to the ground, after he started. I have never been to any concert (and I´ve seen many!), where this would have been possible. It is nearly not possible to describe, how it was - I will never forget this wonderful, fantastic, gordious evening. I´m obviously not the only one, who felt like that, so I wanted to share the headlines of the press (I really do hope, Mr. Cohen sees them!):
Filled the air with magic
(Down) on our knees to Cohen ******

Nothing more can be said.

(If you want me to translate the articles for you, please send a mail.)

Best wishes to all of you from Århus, Denmark
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

So glad Leonard continues to thrill across the world.

Any chance someone got the set list?

Thanks.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
truly

Post by truly »

I found the set list and a review here
http://gaffa.dk/anmeldelser/view.php/mreview_id=36057

Dance Me To The End OF Love
The Future
Ain’t No Cure For Love
Bird On The Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Who By Fire?
Hey That’s No Way To Say Goodbye
Anthem

-pause-

Tower Of Song
Suzanne
Gypsy Wife
Boogie Street
Hallelujah
Democracy
I’m Your Man
Take This Waltz

-ekstranumre-
So Long, Marianne
First We Take Manhattan
Sisters Of Mercy
If It Be Your Will
Closing Time
I Tried To Leave You
Whither Thou Goest
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Thanks so much, truly, for the link.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
mishap13

classy classy classy

Post by mishap13 »

yes, a divine evening. the Gaffa review is marvelous, as was their review of the Copenhagen concert the night before. it's Danish, of course, but there's also some fine photos ("Galleri") an a roundup of all the five- and six-star reviews in the national papers.

the main man delivered the goods in spades, as he apparently has throughout the tour. what struck me most was the virtuosity and restraint of each of the musicians. and the sound was excellent -- each of the parts was eminently audible, yet it was never TOO LOUD as most concerts tend to be these days.
jazzpolice

Post by jazzpolice »

Marvelous concert. Who'd have thought he still had it in him? Fan though I am, I was surprised to see that this old man after forty years of cigarette smoking and whisky drinking is apparently still able not only to stand up on stage and do a live concert for three hours, but even to sing better than he does on most of his albums. Amazing.

As for the trees that were cut down to make room for the concert goers, what can I say but "stuff them up the hole in your culture". :-)
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

It was the greatest of all concerts. I must say that he sang better than ever, and the band was so tight that it was overwhelming. Apperantly our fan meeting at cafe propps in copenhagen the day before got me so drunk, that I cant really remember that concert. But fortunately I had a ticket for the Århus gig. Now I look forward to the Forum concert in copenhagen on october 17.
Peter
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”