CONCERT REPORT: Amsterdam (July 12)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
bobbyrain

Re: Amsterdam, Westerpark, July 12

Post by bobbyrain »

I have the opportunity to get two tickets to the Amsterdam concert and need to decide tomorrow if I will take them or not.

My companion is wheelchair bound - I'd be grateful if anyone could give me advice on whether this would be a problem. We would be travelling from Ireland.

Many thanks, Bobby
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hello,

I'll (try to) translate what they say on the website http://www.liveatwesterpark.nl/ of the festival under one of the FAQ:

Q: Are there any seats on the festival area?
A: Only at the Leonard Cohen concert there is a platform available, but please come in time because no reservations are possible. At all the other concerts, no seats are available. It's not allowed to bring chairs because of the security issue. You are allowed to bring a picnic blanket though. An exception can be made for disabled persons, if you want to aply for this, please mail to: infowesterpark@mojo.nl

I already told this on the previous pag eof this thread, but I'm more than happy to repeat it for you here.

I think bringing a wheelchair won't be a problem at all! Dutch people are very friendly. (I'm not Dutch, I'm Belgian). I suggest you send them an email.

Greetings,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Masha

Post by Masha »

Hello

I am new to this forum. I saw Leonard Cohen in Dublin (went over specially from England) and would dearly love to see him again on this world tour.
I know the Amsterdam concert is open air but does it have booked seats? Or is it standing/sitting on ground room only?

Many thanks

Masha :?:
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

Hi Masha,

There are no booked seats in Amsterdam.

Only a week to go,
Wijbe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
rodipoet

Post by rodipoet »

I am puzzled about the time of the concert in Amsterdam. One site says 19.30 (voorprogramma)and another says 21.00. Does someone know the answer?
Inge

Post by Inge »

Hello Rodipoet,

Sorry, I don't have the answer. I've looked on my ticket and it says 19.30 hrs. But I have read in "General Discussion & Pre-tour information", that Martha Wainwright will be performing as an openingsact. Now I am puzzled too. Who starts at 19.30 hrs, Martha or Leonard? Maybe Martha starts at 19.30 and Leonard at 21.00 hrs. :?: :?: :?: :?:
I am so looking forward to the concert!!!!!!

With love,
Inge
rodipoet

Post by rodipoet »

Today I called Mojo-productions, who organise the concert in the westerpark. The permit for the concert is till 23.00, there will be no support-act ( no Martha Wainwright ) and Leonard will start at 19.30.
Greetings from the Netherlands
Rob de Klerk
upsidedownwalrus

Post by upsidedownwalrus »

I am traveling to amsterdam for the concert this weekend. Does anyone know how early to show up in order to get the best possible spot? Is the concert indoor or outdoor? Also, I am traveling alone, so if anyone is interested in meeting up at/before the show, we could help eachother save a optimal spot, etc. I am in my twenties and since leonard hasn't toured in 15 years, this is my first and, maybe last, time to see him. I am very excited. Thanks.
emanon

Post by emanon »

Hello Amsterdam.

You're right upsidedownwalrus, there must be a pre-meeting for the concert. Me and my girlfriend are coming overseas just to see the Master, a truly big event in everyones life. Part of program is to meet other Cohenites and get in the right spirit for the concert.

I have already been to one concert in Dublin, and before the concert I strolled into a pub nearest to the venue, like a silly tourist, hoping to meet some hard-core Cohenites, but there was nothing going on (only afterwards I found out there had been planned pre-meeting. which I unfortunately missed). Since Dublin I have discovered both the internet and this forum.

So, anyone interested in pre-meeting? Any good place not to far from Westerpark? What do the locals say?

Sincerely,

A. Thorkelsson
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi all!

It seems that it might rain in saturday... keep your fingers crossed not to. Outdoor venue + rain doesnt sound too good combination.

Question: What´s the alcohol policy in Westerpark? Can your bring your own bottle with you or is there some place to buy wine?
upsidedownwalrus

Post by upsidedownwalrus »

I am not familiar with the city, but I get in early tomorrow, so I can ask around and find a place where we can meet (unless someone more familiar has an idea). If not, we could always meet at the park a while before the concert in order to get a good spot since it is general admission. If any has an idea of where to meet or how long before we should be there, please chime in. I look forward to meeting some fellow cohen enthusiasts.
Henning

Post by Henning »

There will be a meetup at Pacific Bar at 2.15 p.m. which is close to the Westerpark.

http://www.pacificparc.nl/
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
hookdude

Post by hookdude »

Hi, I'm coming from Ireland to see the Man in Amsterdam. After his performance in Dublin I would travel anywhere to see him. Would be interested to come to the meet up in the Pacific bar. I just joined this forum and wanted to ask can anyone drop by? Myself and my wife arrive tomorrow around 1pm .... getting very excited now . Hope you all have a great day and hey if it rains it rains .... being Irish I am used to it :) . Great site btw : ) peace.
Longfellow

Post by Longfellow »

Hi there,

does anyone come from Germany by car?

It would be great if some one could take me back to the Ruhrgebiet area - Düsseldorf/Cologne would be superb!
Of course I´ll pay you... ;) I just don´t want to spend the night at Amsterdam Central station and I would like to avoid getting a room for 7 hours...

Thanks a lot...
mike35

Post by mike35 »

I bought my tickets yesterday, no problem, on Ticketmaster at face value 59 euro.
Travelling from Ireland, having attended his 3 Dublin gigs.
I guess you could say I am a "Cohenite".
I have my large poster offering to assist Leonard if he should forget the words of any song.
I will be going for pre-concert meet-up in Pacific Bar. adjacent to Westpark venue.
Haarlemmerweg 6-10

Location West of Centraal Station

Transportation Tram: 10 to Van Halstraat

Phone 020/488-7778

Web site http://www.pacificparc.nl

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”