CONCERT REPORT: Glastonbury (June 29)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
honeyrose

CONCERT REPORT: Glastonbury (June 29)

Post by honeyrose »

Those fans who are saying that they don't mind not seeing Leonard broadcast from Glastonbury because they went to Manchester are all very well but what about those fans who could not get to Manchester or Glastonbury or indeed could not afford the prices? We shall have to see what emerges from Leonard's camp but at this stage it does smell of a broadcasting rights row to me.

Honeyrose
gric

Re: Glastonbury (June 29)

Post by gric »

My first Cohen concert was at Leeds university in March 1972. (I travelled there in a beat up old VW Beetle from north Wales) I have seen him several times since, including recently at Manchester. Over the years I have defended this man and his music against the usual," razor blades and bed sit suicide brigade" pointing out the beauty of his words and the melodies in his songs. I am sad to say that this morning I feel betrayed and will have difficulty in taking his corner again.
scorp

Post by scorp »

go to youtube and search under 'leonard cohen glastonbury', and there you will have a pleasant surprise, starting today. much of his glasto set will be uploaded in the next 2-3 days.
Henning

Post by Henning »

Will you dance us to the end of sorrow ? Leonard wasn't on BBC but he still is the brave barde Cohen. Look at Leonard on page 5 and how he smiles, look at him one last time, then relax and be happy to know that he seems to be happy to sing. There will be a DVD for those who couldn't make it to the concerts. More concerts to come probably and so more chances to see him live. What more can you ask for ?
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

scorp wrote:go to youtube and search under 'leonard cohen glastonbury', and there you will have a pleasant surprise, starting today. much of his glasto set will be uploaded in the next 2-3 days.
Who was filming this?

I thought it is not allowed to film/record at concerts. (Or am i just the only one who does what she's told?)
yhtrownu

Post by yhtrownu »

It's almost a rite of passage these days for concert-goers to record at least one song on a cheap digital camera (most of which have a video function). It's impossible to stop 1000 out of 60,000 people recording away without destroying the whole performance, with bouncers rushing around all over the place. And at the end of the day, the grainy youtube videos act as promotion for the venues as well as the acts. Therefore, most venues focus on stopping "professional" recording only, meaning that if they see a proper video camera, they'll pounce, but otherwise, they won't disrupt the concert.

Given that AEG/Live Nation are behind Leonard's tour, I'm not surprised they decided to stop the BBC filming (I'm guessing). We live in a time where this company is owning more and more and more of an artist's recordings and tour and merchandise revenue. Once the artist signs their mega-contract, then it's like Warner Brothers in the 30's, where the studio system takes control of their whole life.

The company probably decided that Leonard is a rarified taste, and if you've got it, the only thing stopping you buying that tour DVD, is a professional public recording of the tour, which is what the BBC would put out there. From the extended length of Leonard's hometown Montreal performance, including even Avalanche, I am expecting that performance to be the official tour DVD.

I believe once Leonard signed with this company, they lifted all the burdens of business from his shoulders, letting him focus on the music and rehearsals only. Unfortunately, this means that THEIR call on whether Leonard, being filmed at Glastonbury by the BBC, will increase or decrease sales of their official tour DVD, is the ONLY one that counts.

I was looking forward to seeing Leonard play Glastonbury on the BBC too, 'cos the audience is so big, and the venue so unique. :(
Manchester, June 18 2008
Manchester, June 19 2008
London O2, July 17 2008
London O2, November 14 2008
Royal Albert Hall, November 17 2008
Mercedes Benz World, Weybridge, July 11 2009
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

Two more reviews of Glastonbury 2008 in the UK press:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 56887.html

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 237891.ece

Incidentally, at Glastonbury in 2005, Van Morrison refused permission for the BBC to film and broadcast his set on the Sunday.
Mind you, you'd expect that sort of curmudgeonly behaviour from dear old Van!
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
Jojio

Post by Jojio »

I really can't believe that people here are getting so upset and angry. Sure, I was disappointed but hasn't Mr Cohen given enough to each and every one of us over the years? For people to say that they won't forgive him or have considered dumping their Leonard Cohen collection is simply stupid, selfish and moronic. For God's sake, grow up.

6Radio mentioned the Cohen performance this morning, saying that Hallelujah was the highlight of the whole week-end. They then played Suzanne. The tour and all this recent publicity can only be beneficial.
ManiSav

Post by ManiSav »

Good review from NME http://www.nme.com/news/leonard-cohen/37738

Looks like he played an impressively long set
Neville 45

Post by Neville 45 »

Look at BBC website and it confirms NO pics or videos or audio will be on at Glastonbury at his request! What a downer!!
Love is the Law
martisan

Post by martisan »

Well friends,
plenty of little youtube clips are appearing from Glaostobury, check out the sublime Hallelujah...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_tPQQLMXmQ4

Hallelujah indeed...

Martin
subtle

Post by subtle »

As seen from the couple of Leonard's Glasto set are now on YouTube there were camerason for the Stage side screens.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Aezsbd4pP3g
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_tPQQLMXmQ4

Leonard Cohen's management clearly refused the BBC broadcast rights probably from the initial contract being signed. These decisions are not made on a whim at the last moment. So its the BBC that let viewers down by not saying right from the outset that his gig would not be on either live or any of the highlight shows they clearly did this so as to keep as many people needlessy tuned in and flicking between the beeb channels.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

He came down from the mountain a poorer man, financially. His bank account had been raided. He was able to play down the worry that most people would have experienced in his position. He had to experience the 'world of the lawyers,' before he could re-assemble some semblance of musical normality. He had various options open to him. He decided that he was 'able' to conduct a world tour.
Clearly he is enjoying performing again. His band are musicians of the highest calibre. He will be focused on doing what he gets the most pleasure from, namely performing live. The decision not to broadcast the BBC Glastonbury performance was made by people who have their reasons. At the moment it is not clear why that decision was made. A few hours before lc was due on stage, one of the BBC presenters, sat in his shorts in the little perspex cabin, said we were all looking forward to watching Leonard Cohen. There was no hint of the performance not being shown. And then, a little while later, the 'preverbial' hit the fan.
I don't know why it wasn't broadcast. At the moment we have a lot of speculation. (Don't forget that one of the characters in 'White Swans' said that there are 18 different versions of the truth.) Once we know the correct reasons, we can assess our response to them. But at the moment any thought of chucking toys out of the pram, and pouting like our grandchildren, is not what I would expect to find in this Forum. I didn't see him on my TV in my home for the price of my TV Licence. I can live with that. At some time in the future, there will be a DVD available to see him on my TV in my home. I look forward to living with that.
I feel that some people are upset because they couldn't get instant gratification. It is a fact that we now live in a society in which people want everything now, not tomorrow, not next week, but now. Perhaps we can each learn something from Leonard himself. Patience.
Last edited by Byron on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Bela

Post by Bela »

London O2 Arena 17 July (with binoculars)
London RAH 17 November (without binoculars)
confetti

Post by confetti »

Byron is a very sensible pup, but if anyone does want to get rid of all their Leonard Cohen stuff becuase they so affronted by what has happened, i shall be very glad to recieve. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”