CONCERT REPORT: Fredericton, NB (May 11)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Steve Wilcox

CONCERT REPORT: Fredericton, NB (May 11)

Post by Steve Wilcox »

The band has arrived and has taken over The Playhouse as of Wednesday (a friend of mine catered their lunch, another unloaded equipment and commented they have more equipment than any rock band to ever play there). They will rehearse over the next few days.

Rumours on Leonard are varied. When my friend delivered the catering he was told Leonard would arrive on Saturday. Other rumours say he's here now.

Here's the view from outside - I NEVER THOUGHT I'D SEE THIS MARQUEE!
upsofloating

Re: Fredericton gets ready

Post by upsofloating »

I wonder when he'll arrive, or if he's already here...
"Dear child, I only did to you what the sparrow
did to you; I am old when it is fashionable to be
young; I cry when it is fashionable to laugh."

---Charles Bukowski
Dream Warrior

Post by Dream Warrior »

What a beautiful location for this tour to begin. It somehow seems like the perfect spot. Enjoy! And thanks for sharing.
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

I literally squeeled when i saw this pic. SO exciting!!!!!!!! I have to wait 2 more months...aaaack. (Lyon, July 9)

Thanks for posting the pics. Hope to hear more from you this weekend!
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by magdasto »

so it's really happening now... i'm far away, over the seas, staring at that picture and trying to estimate the exact number of days until I see the similar sign at the Lisbon venue. the actual picture is this: tears in my eyes, in the background "halleluyah" and my baby concerned on her mum being so nostalgic...
just felt like i wanted to share this with all of you...
Beyond the myths and the masks the soul remains alone...
libraryref

Post by libraryref »

I just heard form someone who works at the Playhouse that rehearsal yesterday (Thursday) was from 10 am to 4 pm. He also said there is TONS of equipment. It will be a BIG show in every sense of the word.
Fredericton (May 11, 2008); Toronto (June 6, 2008); Louisville (March 30, 2013)
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox »

yes - my brother's friend (maybe the same guy) said they brought more gear than any other rock band. they are working 20 hour days at the Playhouse.

And - 100% guaranteed - Leonard is in town - I saw him - at lunchtimne today - he was standing in the stage door doorway on St John street. I welcomed him to Fredericton and told him we are so happy to have him here. He smiled and said "thank you". I told him I would be seeing 6 shows on the tour - he gave a simple Namaste bow and receded into the hall way.
upsofloating

Post by upsofloating »

Man, I would give anything to meet Cohen.... Think he'll be rehearsing there tomorrow?

---Charles Bukowski
upsofloating

Post by upsofloating »

I wonder how long the set will be.

---Charles Bukowski
lonndubh

Post by lonndubh »

Is it just a coincidence that Leonard is starting his tour at Pentecost . Very symbolic anyway . We asked for signs ...........
mirka

Post by mirka »

Steve Wilcox wrote: I told him I would be seeing 6 shows on the tour - he gave a simple Namaste bow and receded into the hall way.
He receded in panic thinking "OMG, it's really happening, after all these years I have to sing in public again, and there are people out there willing to see me 6 times, yikes!" ......? ;-)
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
Darling

Post by Darling »

Or perhaps he just wants to be left in peace, please respect that...
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox »

exactly gaglou, that's why I never approached him - I was on a public sidewalk, he was standing in a doorway 25 feet away, as I walked by I welcomed him and he smiled and said thank you. I never turned his way at all, staying my course. I figure he has enough on his mind at this point (rumours are 6 hour practices per day) and to try and "meet" him, shake hands, exchange names, etc. would be of no benefit to him and would only serve to feed my own ego - which I hopefully defeated years ago. In fact, I could have "met" Leonard a few years ago on a Montreal street - but again I just watched from afar.

In fact, seeing any celebrity outside their normal performing landscape only serves to show they are just folk also with all the same worries and concerns of everyday life.
madflowers

Post by madflowers »

I wonder gaglou does one relinquish that privilege to be' left in peace , when one takes on a world tour to delight ones fans . If he wanted to be ' left in peace ' I'm sure that he would have stayed up on Mt Baldy :?:
Darling

Post by Darling »

madflowers wrote:I wonder gaglou does one relinquish that privilege to be' left in peace , when one takes on a world tour to delight ones fans . If he wanted to be ' left in peace ' I'm sure that he would have stayed up on Mt Baldy :?:
Perhaps, the expression 'to be left in peace' is not the right one? ( English is my second language.) I meant that the man has a right to his privacy (without having to go to Mt Baldy) We should be grateful and happy to have the opportunity to see him perform live at his age, isn't that enough?

Here's from another thread:
jarkko wrote:
Jarkko has said that Leonard won't be meeting anyone or doing any meet 'n greets this time. I guess it's fair that with such a gruelling schedule, Leonard has time to rest properly between the shows. I guess he's going to have to use a lot of zen discipline!
Exactly. There will be no meetups with Leonard, no backstage arrangements, and he is not going to give any interviews to media. Have a look at the hectic schedule! He will need every free moment to concentrate on the next city and concert.

This being said, I didn't mean any disrespect for Steve who acted in a very decent way. ;-)

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”