Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen's song?

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Davido

Re: Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen's song?

Post by Davido »

When did Jennifer Warnes sing on this?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
thethirdman

Post by thethirdman »

she does the back up singing on it unless I and the album cover i am looking at is sourly mistaken
Keen

Post by Keen »

Hmm, current favorite is Famous Blue Raincoat. But It changes all the time, there are just so many of them. Copout of an answer I know, but what can I say :D

Other favorites are:
Avalanche
By the rivers dark
Dance me to end of love
the future
the stranger song
field commander cohen

etc etc etc
BellatrixBellatrix

Post by BellatrixBellatrix »

Keen wrote:Hmm, current favorite is Famous Blue Raincoat.
Same here.
fieldcommanderjoseph

Post by fieldcommanderjoseph »

For the past 7 years that I have been listening to Leonard Cohen, I have had several favorites, but the one that stands out to me is "One Of Us Can't Be Wrong." Why, because the meaning puzzled me for a long time, and the ending with the la la la's out of tune in the background was freakin' genious.

"The Smokey Life" is another one I am so touched by, the vocals are perfect and every note is sublime.

The beauty of Cohen is that almost every song of his can have several different meanings. Every song is a gem.

Can't wait to see him in concert.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

There is a War; Cohen Live.
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
staceyc8

Post by staceyc8 »

Hi, I'm new here. I live in a suburb of Washington D. C.

I would have to say my favorite is probably "Ain't No Cure for Love" , but there are so many that come to mind. I still find myself coming back to that one.

Stacey
haliyog

Post by haliyog »

Yesterday is was definitely 'Famous Blue Raincoat', today it is 'Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye'. Last year it alternated between "Dance Me To the End of Love' and 'Anthem' I got tickets to the upcoming Montreal concert and I have been crying with joy all day. Montreal is my home town and my mother and father grew up in the same era and neighborhood as Leonard. I am so happy to be seeing the concert in both of our home towns, and Place des Arts is a world class concert venue.....

thank you thank you a thousand times to Jarkko and this forum!
greeksiren

Post by greeksiren »

I love "Waiting for the Miracle", "Everybody Knows", and "Hallelujah"... those are my current faves, anyway! "Democracy" is also up there. :D
Osiris

Post by Osiris »

At the moment; Bird on the wire. So simple, but still extraordinary I think. One of Cohens signature songs, without any doubt.
ascoli

Post by ascoli »

I've thought about what would be my favorite L.Cohen song.
I realize this is an impossible decision for me.
Each song has it's own beauty and thoughts.
Depends to what I'm hearing and feeling at the time.
I thankful for every song. Thanks leonard.
tadpole

Post by tadpole »

Another newbie here. I've been quite obsessed at times in the past by Suzanne and In My Secret Life. At the moment I have Stranger Song playing on a continuous loop in the back of my mind. When songs do that I usually find it annoying. This one I am finding almost hypnotic.
RickB1962

Post by RickB1962 »

Hands down, my favorite will always be "Joan Of Arc".

Oddly, his album "Death of a Ladies' Man" is one of my least favorite, but for some reason, I think the song "Memories" is wonderful, and captures LC at his most playful. I think the entire album "Recent Songs" is probably his best non-anthology collection. It got me through a divorce, and the death of my second spouse.
RickB1962

Post by RickB1962 »

fieldcommanderjoseph wrote:For the past 7 years that I have been listening to Leonard Cohen, I have had several favorites, but the one that stands out to me is "One Of Us Can't Be Wrong." Why, because the meaning puzzled me for a long time, and the ending with the la la la's out of tune in the background was freakin' genious.

"The Smokey Life" is another one I am so touched by, the vocals are perfect and every note is sublime.

The beauty of Cohen is that almost every song of his can have several different meanings. Every song is a gem.

Can't wait to see him in concert.
"The Smokey Life" is exquisite. I totally agree, it's among his best work.
richardc

Post by richardc »

The stranger song
Take This Waltz
Let's Sing another song boy's
Famous Blue raincoat

Then any number of others varying with my mood - The Stranger Song grabbed me 25 years ago when played to me by my girlfriend (now my wife) and have been hooked ever since

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”