Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen's song?

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Fljotsdale

Re: Favourite Song!

Post by Fljotsdale »

Lex wrote:No contest, The Window.
That IS the most beautiful song! I listen to it most, I think, of all of them.

Makes me think of Catherine Tekakwitha in Beautiful Losers.

One of the few songs where his voice isn't dripping sexuality. :wink:

Not that I have the least objection to his voice dripping sexuality........
Only just found this video of LC:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/leonardcohen?ob=4" target="_blank

This one does make me cry.
koan

Post by koan »

I find the lyrics and therefore the whole song the most meaningful in Anthem,

"Every Heart, every heart to love will come, but like a refugee"
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Thanks Lizzy!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Not sure if its my favourite but If It Be Your Will is the best song he's ever written. Its one of a few what I call "perfect songs" along with Undertow for example, in which every word is perfect.
JOHN LLWL

Re: Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen's song?

Post by JOHN LLWL »

Hi everyone, I 'm John from Athens Greece. I like most of the songs but my favorites are Master song, Stranger song and Nancy (Live songs version). I choose Master song as my all time favorite. The guitar is amazing.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

I agree with Frank about If It be Your Will. It is probably my favorite song. It brings up many different emotions for me. I also like Lover Lover Lover (a bit darker) and Take this Waltz, very beautiful and and has a storng visual element to it.
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
Socializard

Post by Socializard »

like most of you folks...i'm sure the fave song changes here and there. currently i've been on a lady midnight kick. i think the lyrics are both beautiful and playful.
"The visible me in no way authorizes the thinker to deny the hidden me."

-Victor Hugo
Socializard

Post by Socializard »

oh yeah and i'll also sing them to my ladyfriend (and i'm an awful singer btw) whenever i want to stir up trouble/laughter.
"The visible me in no way authorizes the thinker to deny the hidden me."

-Victor Hugo
fredwerty

Post by fredwerty »

my favorit Leonard Cohan song would have to be "thats no way to say goodbye",bong de de de de..bong de de de !! luv it
Undertow

Post by Undertow »

Avalanche is the first song I heard by Cohen, so I am eternally grateful to that one song and will have to name it as my favourite. His voice, the guitar and the pure venom in the lyrics attacks me every single time I hear it.

However there are other songs by Cohen which I love more than Avalanche like Stranger Song which is probably the greatest song hes written (in my opinion), Master Song (I am in awe every time I hear this song) and Im Your Man which I think is his most playful, daring and downright sexy song.
manwithnoname

Post by manwithnoname »

Hello all, long time creeper, first time register-er....
Choosing my favorite 3-5 songs is a lot easier than picking a single song, but here is my short list:

- One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong
- Avalanche
- Master Song
-Tonight Will Be Fine
- Famous Blue Raincoat

All of those songs speak directly to me and can get me very emotional very fast. Leonards first 4 albums to me feel like the man was predicting some of the relationships I would have between 19 - 24. I think he's been reading my mail or something. Anyway, its probably pretty clear that I prefer the older Leonard songs (eventhough Hallelujah is what grabbed me about 15 years ago), and by looking at the results posted here in this thread, it seems a majority of people prefer his newer material. Maybe it's my age (I'm 30, so Leonard has been singing longer than I've been breathing), or the other kinds of music I listen to, but I can't really get into Dear Heather, Recent Songs, Ten New Songs, and I'm Your Man. I don't think they are bad in any way, they are just a huge leap from the single man with a classical guitar and occasional string accompaniment that I love so much. I also love Various Positions and The Future, but for me, "Songs of Love and Hate" is where it is at. Once I heard Avalanche, my perception of Leonard changed, and I grew to love his music more than I ever thought possible. That album can get me into such a rage, or such a downer mood, its amazing. Anyway, those are my faves.
-Steve
"I sang my song. I told my lies, to lie between your matchless thighs." -LC
iris wigle-cutforth

Post by iris wigle-cutforth »

My favourite song that Leo "sings" is Bird on a Wire". I almost bought one of his CD's today here in Canada. It cost about seventeen dollars. Ithought it was too much money so I placed it back in it's place and bought a Shirley Jane Temple case which held four movies for $4.98. She is so deja vu of young Janis Joplin so it was like getting two for the price of one.
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk »

iris wigle-cutforth wrote:My favourite song that Leo "sings" is Bird on a Wire".
It is Bird on the Wire, not Bird on a Wire.
Since it is your favorite I thought I would mention that. It is a mistake that almost everyone makes. I certainly did.
Everything being said to you is true; Imagine of what it is true.
freezeout

Eating up a lady where the lions and Christians fight

Post by freezeout »

Favorite Cohen song?... Too hard
However, I'm really digging "Diamonds In the Mine" right now. The raw energy in this song remind me of early punk records.... Yes, that is a good thing.
thethirdman

Post by thethirdman »

i have a lot of favourites but i suppose the song i listen to most is everybody knows, great song and Jennifer Warnes is wonderful on it.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”