'Last Year's Man' children's choir

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
somewhat_nifty

'Last Year's Man' children's choir

Post by somewhat_nifty »

I've often wondered about the children used on this track. I remember not long ago there was a documentary on the BBC featuring the children who had sung on Pink Floyd's 'Another Brick in the Wall' and what an experience it was. Now I know that this isn't exactly in the same league, but I just wondered if any of the children involved in this had ever spoke about their experiences (did they even get to work with Leonard, or was it dubbed on afterwards?). Apparently they were from the Corona Stage School in London (I could tell they were English ;-) ).

Apols if this has already been covered on the forum (I did search),or even in a biography - I don't read biographies of Leonard.
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
holydove

Re: 'Last Year's Man' children's choir

Post by holydove »

Hi somewhat_nifty,

I have also often wondered about those children. It's so beautifully ironic to have angelic childrens' voices in such a dark song, & I've often wondered if the children (and/or their parents) knew what they were singing about, & if the any of the children ever listened to the finished product, at that time, or later, as adults. It would be very interesting to hear about their experience. I have a vague memory of reading that the children were recorded in London, without Leonard's presence, & their voices were inserted into the song afterwards (but I'm not completely sure, & I might be confusing it with something else).
libraryref

Post by libraryref »

Yes, according to the latest bio, I'm your man, the children's voices were recorded in London and Leonard wasn't there. The producer took it upon himself to add that to the track. Leonard was, in general, not 100% pleased with the record, considering it somewhat overproduced.
Fredericton (May 11, 2008); Toronto (June 6, 2008); Louisville (March 30, 2013)
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Yes, but apparently he likes the children's choir.

'I like the children in this version. I always wait for them if I have to listen to it.'

http://leonardcohen-prologues.com/last_years_man.htm
holydove

Post by holydove »

Thank you for the link, Hartmut - very interesting, esp. this part: ". . .I always wait for them if I have to listen to it."

So he likes the song, though he doesn't know why, & he only listens to it if he must. . .? Oh, the endless delicious twists & turns - I love it. But it's nice to know that he does like the children's choir!
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

holydove wrote:Oh, the endless delicious twists & turns
:-)
Indeed.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”