Death of Lady's Man (naked)

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
docck

Death of Lady's Man (naked)

Postby docck » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:21 pm

Some times ago Paul McCartney released new version of The Beatles last album "Let It Be" under the title "Let It Be" (naked). In this release McCartney cleared music material which was spoiled by same man who spoiled "Death of Lady's Man". Maybe sometimes we'll see this album "naked" too? It'd the great event for all of us.
Sorry for my English - here in Russia we speak on Russian.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:21 pm

Hi and Welcome to the Forum, docck :D ! I'm not familiar with the album you're speaking of, but I can tell you that your English is more than acceptable!

~ Lizzytysh
icecreamtruck

Postby icecreamtruck » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:58 am

There are some REALLY cool songs on this album. It would be really cool if it was remixed. The beatles one is good. It's not their best album to start with, however. I like how Death of a Ladies man is overblown sometimes. I haven't made up my mind how I feel about that album yet.
Teratogen

Postby Teratogen » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:16 am

lizzy: the original "let it be" album was produced by phil spector. paul never liked what spector did to the songs on that album, especially to "the long and winding road." so he took it upon himself to release it under the title "let it be (naked)." i'm a big beatles fan, and i own both versions. the second version had all the same songs except for a couple. on the original "let it be" album there were like 2 or 3 short tracks that were either the lads goofing off or just singing some obscure cover for a laugh. it was strange to hear. one of my favorite songs on that album is george's "i me mine." i thought it sounded marvelous with the orchestra added to it. that was mainly spector's thing, to add orchestration. but anyway, spector also produced "death of a ladies' man." that might be the reason that so many critics disliked the album. i fucking love the album. i like what spector does. i think people were just too shaken at the drastic change in cohen's music when that album came out. but anyway, a "naked" version of the album would be interesting to hear.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:31 pm

Hi Teratogen ~

The album that I meant I wasn't familiar with was the "naked" version. I guess I could have made that clearer. I've always loved the original album and "The Long and Winding Road," and it's very difficult to imagine it "naked" [a new, music term for me], or even being better. Thanks for everything else you wrote. It made the whole snafu more interesting.

I remember finding out here [or on the Sony site] some time back that it was Phil Spector who produced it. In the past, who produced what had little meaning for me. It's only since the issue with Spector and Death of a Ladies Man; Sharon Robinson; and Leanne Unger [last but not least in my listing] that I've started to pay attention.

~ Lizzy
jurica

Postby jurica » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:55 pm

well, i like DOLM as it is. and Spector didn't just produce the album, but also wrote all the music, so the 'naked' album your're proposing would have to be Leonard reciting his poetry...

i think some people disslike this album on account of Leonard not being happy with it. but it's a well known fact that artists are not the best judges of their own work.
Anne

Postby Anne » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:47 pm

I agree with you completely. Jurica. I have always been fond of DOALM. But, I am a freak among Cohen fans. I have never much liked the song Suzanne!
docck

Postby docck » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:36 am

I think that most of Cohen's fans know that LC never included songs from DOLM in his discography. It was the idea that if LC'll clean music material from this album it'll be new album under same title and we'll listen WHAT LC was want to sing on this album.
jurica

Postby jurica » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:50 pm

LC didn't know what he wanted to sing on this album in the first place.

it was Spector who proposed to take some of Leonard's poems (much like our own henning did on his great home made album) and turn them into songs, and Leonard was only supposed to sing what was given to him.

later, when Spector wrote the music, LC didn't like it, but he didn't want to go into any arguments or else he would have probably been long dead, and there'd be no VP, The Future, IYM or TNS. nor DH for that matter.

i can't help thinking that LC might have been a little jealous of Spector for touching his 'children', so i don't think he can be a good judge of the album.

how would you clean the work if they gave you the masters? would you leave Leonard singing Spector's melodic lines, and change harmony? or would you make Leonard sing all the songs again and invent his own melodies?
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:09 am

Since Leonard is a master of melody, if the album were ever to be redone, he couldn't go wrong in redoing them himself.
docck

Postby docck » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:34 am

I think that only LC himself can make a decision to make this album again. I'd love to know his opinion. And I think not only me.
jurica

Postby jurica » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:28 pm

must admit i'd be interested to hear if it was redone.

i think he'd change a lot of lyrics too. he likes to revisit his poems a lot, so we'd probably have a brand new album to talk about and compare to the old one.

the more we discuss this, the more i agree that it may not be a bad idea.
docck

Postby docck » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:44 pm

Can somebody really ask him about this matter?
Teratogen

Postby Teratogen » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:15 pm

jurica: you are right. i completely forgot that spector even wrote all the music.

but about leonard doing different versions of the songs, if anyone's ever heard a live version of "memories" he has changed it a bit, especially with the back-up vocals. on that song, and a few others--i can't remember at this time--there are male back-up vocalists. i don't know if he's ever even toured with male back-up vocalists, but i do remember on the two different live versions of "memories" i've heard that there's a back-up vocal part during the verses that is not in the original recording. even if leonard doesn't like what death of a ladies' man turned out to be, i'm sure he grimaces knowing most of his fans adore it, including me. :D at worst it probably equates to a bad joke that everyone finds funny, even himself. maybe if he took the same harmonies, the same chords and notes even, but turned them into a more cohen-esque sound, and even add the touch of sharon robinson and others, it would be the "naked" version we might be looking for in this discussion. that is my suggestion.
Helven

Postby Helven » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:19 pm

Hi Docck,

I’m glad to see a compatriot here :) !
As for your question, I think someone could ask LC, of course. Jarkko, probably, could… In fact, it’d be interesting to know that.

…and since one of the ex-Beatles was mentioned here may I ask a question about another one? It’s absolutely out of the theme but it’s of such a great interest to me that I’ll still put it…
Some years ago my friend gave me a record of Harrison’s Cloud Nine. And I remember for sure there were Got My Mind Set On You, and This Is Love there. Than I lost that record, and recently bought an mp-3 collection of some of Harrison’s albums including Cloud Nine, but there’s neither “mind”, nor “love” on that CD… And I wonder if there’re different versions of that album or simply those guys who recorded the CD were pot-boilers :? ?
Could anybody clarify that to me, please?

Yours,
TH.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”