Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen's song?

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
jim_ashton

Post by jim_ashton »

"Hallelujah", the first time I watched "Shrek"(near the end they play it) the very first time I heard it I was taken away by it. Now I've been searching the internet and all I can find is versions of it that other people do that sound like crap because they improvise them too much.
dperrings

Favorites

Post by dperrings »

Take this Waltz, Joan of Arc, Famous Blue Raincoat, Dance Me to the End of Love, and the Story of Issac.

in that order

David Perrings
There is a crack in everything that's how the light gets in. lc
Lex

Favourite Song!

Post by Lex »

No contest, The Window.
Philwilli

Post by Philwilli »

It must be "Suzanne"the first LC song i ever heard
Last edited by Philwilli on Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
shiffi

Post by shiffi »

Dress Rehearsal Rag and A Singer Must Die are the two songs I feel closest to. Others I'd have to mention are The Future, Stories of the Street (the first LC song I fell in love with), Joan of Arc and Tower of Song.
david birkett

FAVOURITE LC SONG

Post by david birkett »

If obliged to pick one, it would have to be Hallelujah, if only because it demonstrates the essential Cohen themes and skills so well. I mean the conflation of the sacred and the physical, the effortless encapsualtion of profound themes, the passionate advocacy of creativity and the celebration of failure to achieve perfection as the inevitable and glorious purpose of humanity.

It's also damned funny. "But you don't really care for music, do ya" is one of the most caustic and hilarious lines in pop lyrical history, and all those audacious, brilliant rhymes add to the fun.

I am referring to the lyrics used on Various Positions, which I think constitute a much stronger song than the alternative verses about walking the floor and shooting people, splendid though these are too.

How about the worst Cohen song? My vote is Light as the Breeze.

David
gajah mada

Post by gajah mada »

A lot of songs are my favorite, but I particularly like the first 2 albums with classics like Suzanne, but also One of Us cannot be Wrong, Seems so Long ago and The Old Revolution. :D
davideo

favorites...

Post by davideo »

Same here Gajah.
Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.
"A Course in Miracles"
http://members.shaw.ca/clatwood/
Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan

Post by Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan »

You comments about his themes are very well stated, David B.
Kevin
badatti2d

my favorite...

Post by badatti2d »

I am new to this forum, and new to Mr. Cohen's music, but I would have to say that There For You, and A Thousand Kisses Deep are two of my favorites.... I must admit, that most of his work leaves me in an almost hypnotic state...awesome sound of his low voice, coupled with the nicely-done accompaniment... I am glad to have accidentally stumbled onto his music, as it now resounds loudly in my head while I am at work, or just working in the yard at home...it makes me feel better, and it relaxes my soul.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Welcome to the Forum, Badatti :D ... years ago, I knew someone from Texarkana and, at first, thought they were making up the name of their town. Great choices on your favourites, and your favourites are subject to... and will... change :wink: . So, how is it that you did stumble onto Leonard's music?

~ Lizzy
Cohen Kid

Post by Cohen Kid »

I always said Seems so long ago Nancy was the best song...now I'm in doubt... maybe I like The MASTER SONG even more. I think that's his best and most haunting song and the tremelo guitar is so ver very good. how come there are no musicians credited on the first albums???? did he do all the guitars and basses and percussion himself?
A sip of wine, a cigarette
And then it's time to go
I tidied up the kitchenette
I tuned the old banjo
-10 new songs, Boogie Street
Cohen Kid

Re: my favorite...

Post by Cohen Kid »

badatti2d wrote:I am new to this forum, and new to Mr. Cohen's music, but I would have to say that There For You, and A Thousand Kisses Deep are two of my favorites....
welcome
it's nice here... cool to see a song from 10 new songs is your favourite. that is my favourite leonard lp
see you
stefan
A sip of wine, a cigarette
And then it's time to go
I tidied up the kitchenette
I tuned the old banjo
-10 new songs, Boogie Street
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

My favourite song has to be Suzanne. Not only are the lyrics superb but the melody mimics the sound of the river.

The contrast between the garbage and the flowers is also very evocative.

And you want to travel with her
And you want to travel blind
And you know that she will trust you
For you've touched her perfect body with your mind. [/i]
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

the melody mimics the sound of the river.

I've never listened to it in that way. Thanks for the suggestion.

Welcome to the Forum :D .

~ Lizzy

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”