Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
vlcoats

Re: Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

Postby vlcoats » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:36 am

Alan-
Your Sting quote made me laugh out loud and Dave too when I read it to him. I was happy to hear that you are with us daily. I am here daily too, but really need to stop spending so much time in posting... not only do I have work to do, but sometimes a little tape on my mouth would be a good thing!
AlanM wrote:One of the many joys of being retired is that I don't have to respond instantly to the demands (too strong a word?) of my clients. So ... I've been thinking.....
Sorry for being impatient but thank you for responding!

In retrospect, I share you feelings on Heather and Ladies Man... but regarding Ten New Songs, not so much. In general, I agree that it didn't grab me as much as most... and after Heather, I was hoping that it would, but there is that poem/song (A Thousand Kisses Deep), right? And there is your and Allan Showalter's YouTube video of it... and other songs there too.

I loved what you shared about the 3 'most recent' album, and your personally perceived similarities which I also agree with. In fact, I loved your comments on Leonard's music in general. I solidly agree with your comment that if he had only recorded Songs of Leonard Cohen....that would have been enough.
The lyrics don't just seep into the soul, they dive in.
I loved this most of all. I wish I could have been at your gathering in Melbourne. I would have raised a glass to Lynch as well... and to the rightness of the universe regarding how it turned out (this time at least).

Thanks for your post!
Vickie
vlcoats

Re: Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

Postby vlcoats » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:59 pm

B4real wrote:.....just wait until you listen to the very last track on the last live album Can’t Forget – A Souvenir Of The Grand Tour 2015. In fact, Alan filmed LC performing this live at the Sydney Opera House. It’s so different to the normal banter...
B4-
I forgot to tell you how much I loved the intro on that last track on the Can't Forget live album with Leonard's story about the stages that men go through. It cracked me up and Dave as well! I knew Dave would like it because he has called Leonard cute twice before. And that intro was definitely cute!

Right now I am playing a game where every couple days or so I reach into my box of Leonard CDs and mix them up and pick one out without looking. That is the one I listen to next. Sometimes I will only play it through once but my rule is no skipping around on the CD and no going to the next CD until I have heard all of the one that I picked regardless of which one it is. However if it's one I like, I will listen to it over and over until I'm ready to move on. As you can guess, I usually listen to them over and over LOL. I like the game, because I have noticed that very often there will be a song that I might not have noticed much at first but after I have heard it a few more times, I often end up getting very attached to it. Like Alan has said, like an old friend.
I'm sure this game, or something like it, is nothing new to you all, as you have been listening to him much longer than I have.
Vickie
Had to edit because I was trying to write this at work on my lunch break and did poorly with it, so realized I had to fix it when I was reading it to Dave tonight...

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”