Amsterdam Event, August 12-14, 2016

The Amsterdam Event - before and after
User avatar
lizzytysh
Posts: 25340
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Florida, U.S.A.

Re: Amsterdam Event 2016

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:24 am

Hi Joy ~

The format will come together more specifically with time, via this space. If you look at previous Events, by going to the leonardcohenfiles [link at top of this page], you can get a better idea of what it's been in the past, which should be helpful. They have been in Berlin, Cracow, NYC, Hydra, etc.

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/amst.html

Hopefully, you'll decide to come along, regardless. They are always worthwhile and a lot of fun.

Welcome to the Forum :D


All the best,
Lizzie
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
dar
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:53 am

Re: Amsterdam Event 2016

Postby dar » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:52 am

Would love to attend this event. Will have to start researching costs, etc.
Sideways
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: Amsterdam Event 2016

Postby Sideways » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:16 am

Hello, will there be any Naked Ironing Events ? It won't seem like a real Leonard Cohen Event unless there are.
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
Sideways
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: Amsterdam Event 2016

Postby Sideways » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:09 am

I have now heard from Mr & Mrs Holland who are organising the Event. I am assured that there will, as Tradition demands, be a full Naked Ironing Contest. They have also reminded me that you need to book tickets if you are interested in joining the Amsterdam Mountain Climb.
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
Vicomte
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:49 am
Location: Saint Malo Bretagne

Re: Amsterdam Event 2016

Postby Vicomte » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:05 am

How high are the mountains, as I am short of crampons, I lost a lot in the mountains of Norfolk.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2017 and fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
cohenadmirer
Posts: 1026
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:44 pm
Location: wirral, uk

Re: Amsterdam Event 2016

Postby cohenadmirer » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:47 am

Is the naked ironing compulsory?
Beginning to sound interesting.
there are artificial mountains in amsterdam, like those punishing steep staircases
I enjoyed seeing Bob Dylan at the lovely Carre Theatre last weekend. It has a cosy footprint but is VERY tall with lots of climbing to the highest seat!
Absorbed by bob while i was there , but had time to think- ' leonard please come here !'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6_CDgXS83g
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
User avatar
Wybe
Site Admin
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:05 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Amsterdam Event 2016

Postby Wybe » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:27 pm

2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++ https://www.LCeventAmsterdam.icantforget.nl +++ --
User avatar
surrender
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Amsterdam Event 2016

Postby surrender » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:36 pm

Nice one, thanks Wijbe!
Wish someone told me many years ago when I came to the Netherlands.

Click the link in Wijbe's message, guys!

Jarmila
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam


After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
Judy
Posts: 749
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:22 am
Location: France

Re: Amsterdam Event 2016

Postby Judy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:53 pm

Thank you Wijbe ... very motivating :D
Sideways
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: Amsterdam Event 2016

Postby Sideways » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:44 am

Vicomte wrote:How high are the mountains, as I am short of crampons, I lost a lot in the mountains of Norfolk.

My research shows me that the Dutch rarely add crampons or any other toasty pieces to their soup. In Norfolk there are many eating places where you do not need to bring with your own crampons. Some of the better establishments even supply their own cutlery as well. I get the feeling that you are probably very NFN.
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
Vicomte
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:49 am
Location: Saint Malo Bretagne

Re: Amsterdam Event 2016

Postby Vicomte » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:16 pm

Sideways wrote:
Vicomte wrote:How high are the mountains, as I am short of crampons, I lost a lot in the mountains of Norfolk.

My research shows me that the Dutch rarely add crampons or any other toasty pieces to their soup. In Norfolk there are many eating places where you do not need to bring with your own crampons. Some of the better establishments even supply their own cutlery as well. I get the feeling that you are probably very NFN.
Good news, the lost crampons have been found on Mount Norwich under 12' of snow. With this in mind, please can you bring the loop de loop and I will of course bring along the crampons. Or in the words of Bob the traitor, I've got the pork chops, you've got the pie, so we'll now have enough to fine dine on the heights of Amsterdam.....
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2017 and fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Vicomte
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:49 am
Location: Saint Malo Bretagne

Re: Amsterdam Event 2016

Postby Vicomte » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Vicomte wrote:
Sideways wrote:
Vicomte wrote:How high are the mountains, as I am short of crampons, I lost a lot in the mountains of Norfolk.

My research shows me that the Dutch rarely add crampons or any other toasty pieces to their soup. In Norfolk there are many eating places where you do not need to bring with your own crampons. Some of the better establishments even supply their own cutlery as well. I get the feeling that you are probably very NFN.
Good news, the lost crampons have been found on Mount Norwich under 12' of snow. With this in mind, please can you bring the loop de loop and I will of course bring along the crampons. Or in the words of Bob the traitor, I've got the pork chops, you've got the pie, so we'll now have enough to fine dine on the heights of Amsterdam and show the *cloggies how crampons and loop de loop go well together.....
* A loveable term given to our Dutch amigos.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2017 and fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Sideways
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: Amsterdam Event, August 12-14, 2016

Postby Sideways » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:32 pm

Young Vicomte is not old enough to recall The Cloggies from Private Eye. Here is the Wikipedia entry
"The Cloggies, an Everyday Saga in the Life of Clog Dancing Folk, was a long-running cartoon by Bill Tidy that ran in the satirical magazine Private Eye from 1967 to 1981, and later in The Listener from 1985 to 1986. It gently satirised northern British male culture, and introduced a shocked nation to the scurrilous delights of Lancashire clog-dancing. This particular variation of the art involved two teams dancing towards each other in formation, followed by each attempting to cripple their opponents with gracefully executed knee and foot moves. Thus the Forward Sir Percy, a synchronized low-level knee attack, the Double Arkwright wi' Ankle Lever, the Heckmondwycke with Reverse Spin and the ever controversial Triple Arkwright. Other routines included the Half Arkwright with Groin Action, the Erotic Elbow Drive and the match-winning Flying Arkwright, performed to cries of, “Keep them knees stylish!”
cloggies2.jpg
cloggies2.jpg (51 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
Vicomte
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:49 am
Location: Saint Malo Bretagne

Re: Amsterdam Event, August 12-14, 2016

Postby Vicomte » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:43 pm

Correct.

Here in our local village in LBF we have a tradition where one cloggie ties on a large rat and the art is to dance while the rat swings around, then one other cloggie joins in then another. Once the rat is dizzy enough it is released to go and annoy the next village whilst the villagers all hit the local cider and await a new rat to come in to the village.....

Here, see what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl0sshGlz4w
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2017 and fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Sideways
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: Amsterdam Event, August 12-14, 2016

Postby Sideways » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:09 pm

Vicomte wrote:Correct.

Here in our local village in LBF we have a tradition where one cloggie ties on a large rat and the art is to dance while the rat swings around, then one other cloggie joins in then another. Once the rat is dizzy enough it is released to go and annoy the next village whilst the villagers all hit the local cider and await a new rat to come in to the village.....

Here, see what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl0sshGlz4w

That reminds me of my childhood. I was a wee lass and the rats used to tie me up with their tails and swing me around. Happy daze.
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Amsterdam 2016 - before and after”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest