Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
lizzytysh

Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat

Post by lizzytysh »

"Hey KUSH! over HERE......." ~ it appears that you are the "Thread Police for a Day." Got into trouble tacking that onto my response to Matt.
Yes, she does seem to have a "small" voice....of course, I've never really heard her until then, so my expectations [love those lessons] were based on a back-up vocals I've heard, which can be deceiving. Yes, it does set a different mood, and I agree with what Linmag said regarding if you're going to do a cover, isn't it better to create a different ambience or whatever, to make it unique unto itself, rather than a rubber stamp of the original.

Of course, the female voice makes it other than that [right away]; however, my "expectations" were based not as much on Leonard's voice, but what I'd anticipated hers to be, and the expression given to/deserved by the content of the songs themselves. When Leonard introduces Perla, etc. on one of his bootlegs, their vocals are very distinctive. I'm not familiar with Patricia. You're right that the brain circuitry is tuned otherwise. I feel a bit awkward as it is, as I feel like I'm "criticizing" Leonard's "little sister" of sorts. Don't mean to do that, just talking about my taste in music ~ and granted, if I heard her singing non-Leonard material, my take on her voice might be quite different. I'm still very glad to have the cd and will, of course, be listening to it more. I'm apparently not alone in having to get used to it.

~Lizzytysh
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Kush,

You are correct that I was unfair in my expectations of Jennifer Warnes' voice. I was picking on Leonard's little sister, even though that was not my intention. I've listened repeatedly to Silent Night, as well as the song on which he accompanies her on her album. She does, indeed, have a small voice, and, with both, Leonard sings with his own lighter voice when he accompanies her, perhaps not to create such a contrast to where he might be considered "outshining" her. My anticipation had been more along the diva [minus its negative connotations] lines, whereas I'd have done better to listen for the well-trained, lovely girl next door. When Leonard introduces Perla Batalla [sp?] in his Iceland concert, she does a wonderful vocal in response. I will be interested to hear her own album.

~Lizzytysh
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Jennifer's "The Well" released in October 2001 (as "Ten New Songs") is great, according to my modest opinion. I know that for many people I'm heretic, but she is better here than when 'she sings Lenny' :-)
tom
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks, Tom. I'm not sure why you say you're considered heretic on this, but I will listen to The Well as soon as I'm able and see how I feel about it. Not one to give up so easily....
~Lizzytysh
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Heretic, because the usual opinion is that she covers LC excellent, and that her 1987 album is regarded as one of the best in 1980s. It is so good, I think, but she relly take me with The Well.
t.
George.Wright

Famous Blue Raincoat

Post by George.Wright »

Is a gem of an album, Jennie sings Lennie is brill!!!!
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
Kush

Post by Kush »

I really liked Famous Blue Raincoat. For me, cover albums keep the music fresh by giving a different interpretation. The more different it is , the more I am likely to appreciate it (although not necessarily so). In the end, it doesnt matter, who writes the lyrics, who sings it and who writes the music.....it is the song that stands out. Singer-songwriter is a relatively new phenomenon, there have been brilliant poets and songwriters who cannot sing or the singer-songwriter culture was not prevalent in their time. So then you have to depend on a singer's interpretation of meaningful music.
NR

Post by NR »

That's the same way I feel about live recordings, and it pains me that I know I'm missing out on so many.
10p
MarieJolie

Re: Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat - I have a questio

Post by MarieJolie »

Hi everybody, here I am again wondering on some lyrics! Now it’s the turn of Famous Blue Raincoat’s cover, magnificently sung by Jennifer Warnes. My doubt is about the line “you’d been to the station to meet every train” which in the original goes on with “and you came home without Lili Marlene”: the cover’s lyrics were slightly modified in the second part. Despite what all the lyrics’ sites state: “but she never turned up I’m Lili Marlene”, I keep hearing: “but she never turned up, I mean Lili Marlene” that would also make more sense... need a couple or more ears to help me, will anybody lend them for this purpose? Thanks in advance! :D
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

MarieJolie wrote:Hi everybody, here I am again wondering on some lyrics! Now it’s the turn of Famous Blue Raincoat’s cover, magnificently sung by Jennifer Warnes. My doubt is about the line “you’d been to the station to meet every train” which in the original goes on with “and you came home without Lili Marlene”: the cover’s lyrics were slightly modified in the second part. Despite what all the lyrics’ sites state: “but she never turned up I’m Lili Marlene”, I keep hearing: “but she never turned up, I mean Lili Marlene” that would also make more sense... need a couple or more ears to help me, will anybody lend them for this purpose? Thanks in advance! :D
The booklet that came with my Jennifer Warnes CD shows 'but she never turned up, I mean Lili Marlene' and that is also what I hear.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MarieJolie

Post by MarieJolie »

MaryB wrote:
MarieJolie wrote:Hi everybody, here I am again wondering on some lyrics! Now it’s the turn of Famous Blue Raincoat’s cover, magnificently sung by Jennifer Warnes. My doubt is about the line “you’d been to the station to meet every train” which in the original goes on with “and you came home without Lili Marlene”: the cover’s lyrics were slightly modified in the second part. Despite what all the lyrics’ sites state: “but she never turned up I’m Lili Marlene”, I keep hearing: “but she never turned up, I mean Lili Marlene” that would also make more sense... need a couple or more ears to help me, will anybody lend them for this purpose? Thanks in advance! :D
The booklet that came with my Jennifer Warnes CD shows 'but she never turned up, I mean Lili Marlene' and that is also what I hear.
Have been away, I'm back just now and I saw your answer, thanks a lot MaryB, my doubt is fully solved now!
MaryB

Re: Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat

Post by MaryB »

No problem, you're welcome, Marie.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”