BEST COVER VERSIONS OF A LEONARD COHEN SONG OF ALL TIME

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
godnose
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 12:35 am

Re: BEST COVER VERSIONS OF A LEONARD COHEN SONG OF ALL TIME

Postby godnose » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:56 am

Also not a big fan of any Leonard Cohen covers.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say I quite like this dance version of Dance Me to the End of Love by Misstress Barbara.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsaxdFDAGik

I like it, not just as a Cohen song, I like the production. I also appreciate that it is not really an imitation.
museme
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 7:44 am

Re: BEST COVER VERSIONS OF A LEONARD COHEN SONG OF ALL TIME

Postby museme » Wed May 31, 2017 7:50 am

one of the best amateur renditions I have ever heard, and i would definitely say equal to any professional singer, is this incredible version of Hallelujah. One music expert and author of the video "How to sing hallelujah badly" wrote a comment and simply said, "amazing!"

You have to hear this and i hope you enjoy. This older fellow really needs to be recognised for this talent. Seldom do I really feel moved by versions of this song, but this one did.

https://youtu.be/9op-_7lnMDc
:)
User avatar
DarinaLee
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:04 pm
Location: Latvia

Re: BEST COVER VERSIONS OF A LEONARD COHEN SONG OF ALL TIME

Postby DarinaLee » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:10 pm

godnose wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:56 am
Also not a big fan of any Leonard Cohen covers.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say I quite like this dance version of Dance Me to the End of Love by Misstress Barbara.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsaxdFDAGik

I like it, not just as a Cohen song, I like the production. I also appreciate that it is not really an imitation.
Me too ! I love it :!:
museme
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 7:44 am

Re: BEST COVER VERSIONS OF A LEONARD COHEN SONG OF ALL TIME

Postby museme » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:40 pm

it might interest the author of post above that cohens hallelujah was not really a successful hit until it was covered by others, such as the wonderful cover by rufus wainwright.

so many great artists in this world do covers, and many get discovered by covers. It is in my humble opinion elitist and kind of ignorant really to reject cover versions of songs.
kidzbyn
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:50 pm
Contact:

Re: BEST COVER VERSIONS OF A LEONARD COHEN SONG OF ALL TIME

Postby kidzbyn » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:55 pm

godnose wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:56 am
Also not a big fan of any Leonard Cohen covers.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say I quite like this dance version of Dance Me to the End of Love by Misstress Barbara.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsaxdFDAGik

I like it, not just as a Cohen song, I like the production. I also appreciate that it is not really an imitation.
nice, me too
yếu sinh lý ở nam giới và những thực phẩm giúp cải thiện tình trạng xuất tinh sớm
Công ty cổ phần Vắc xin Việt Nam vnvc.vn
kidzbyn
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:50 pm
Contact:

Re: BEST COVER VERSIONS OF A LEONARD COHEN SONG OF ALL TIME

Postby kidzbyn » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:56 pm

i like cover of leonard cohen song
yếu sinh lý ở nam giới và những thực phẩm giúp cải thiện tình trạng xuất tinh sớm
Công ty cổ phần Vắc xin Việt Nam vnvc.vn
davidrichards
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:06 am
Location: far north of Scotland

Re: BEST COVER VERSIONS OF A LEONARD COHEN SONG OF ALL TIME

Postby davidrichards » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:14 pm

museme wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 7:50 am
one of the best amateur renditions I have ever heard, and i would definitely say equal to any professional singer, is this incredible version of Hallelujah. One music expert and author of the video "How to sing hallelujah badly" wrote a comment and simply said, "amazing!"

You have to hear this and i hope you enjoy. This older fellow really needs to be recognised for this talent. Seldom do I really feel moved by versions of this song, but this one did.

https://youtu.be/9op-_7lnMDc
:)
I was most certainly moved by this interpretation - further away from the speakers in fact, due to the exceedingly dubious intonation in parts.
MaryB
Posts: 3889
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:40 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio USA

Re: BEST COVER VERSIONS OF A LEONARD COHEN SONG OF ALL TIME

Postby MaryB » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:33 pm

Oh, this is soooo bad.....
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Realmusic2017
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:51 pm

Re: BEST COVER VERSIONS OF A LEONARD COHEN SONG OF ALL TIME

Postby Realmusic2017 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:55 pm

Young up and coming Irish superstar David Keenan just did his version of "So Long Marianne" on the Joe.ie show. It's a beautiful piece of work. It's on the Joe.ie facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/manstuff/video ... 624226644/
davidrichards
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:06 am
Location: far north of Scotland

Re: BEST COVER VERSIONS OF A LEONARD COHEN SONG OF ALL TIME

Postby davidrichards » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Realmusic2017 wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:55 pm
Young up and coming Irish superstar David Keenan just did his version of "So Long Marianne" on the Joe.ie show. It's a beautiful piece of work. It's on the Joe.ie facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/manstuff/video ... 624226644/
I may be in a minority but I found the vocal embellishment of the melody line and the occasional use of falsetto, intentional or not, to be a distraction.
User avatar
Mary72
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 6:12 pm
Location: Porto
Contact:

Re: BEST COVER VERSIONS OF A LEONARD COHEN SONG OF ALL TIME

Postby Mary72 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:34 am

Realmusic2017 wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:55 pm
Young up and coming Irish superstar David Keenan just did his version of "So Long Marianne" on the Joe.ie show. It's a beautiful piece of work. It's on the Joe.ie facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/manstuff/video ... 624226644/
Love it! One more for my collection!

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest