Courtney Love covers Cohen

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
cohenfreek

Courtney Love covers Cohen

Post by cohenfreek »

One of the acts I caught at this year's Ottawa Bluesfest on Friday was Courtney Love's band, Hole. Regardless of what people's personal opinions are of Love, "Take This Longing" by you-know-who is a part of the band's current set-list. Nicely done, like the original. Right after the song, she said, and I quote, "isn't he a GREAT songwriter?...no, he's not great, he's a GOD!" Love went on to say Leonard is one of the only greats she hasn't met, but would be afraid to, given how great he is (I can understand that!). She went on to thank Canada for giving us Mr. Cohen, which I thought was a sincere gesture.

Reminded me of when I closed out last year's festival with Jennifer Warnes's performance, during which she said exactly the same things about Leonard that Courtney did this year, and featured two of the "Famous Blue Raincoat" bonus tracks, "Ballad of the Absent Mare" and "Night Come On". She came out for autographs after the show, and what a great experience that was. I remember saying to her, "what are the odds of seeing Leonard Cohen and Jennifer Warnes in the same calendar year???" After seeing her on stage, and what she says about the people she's worked with, it's no wonder why Leonard and her are such great friends. She is classy all the way! I really wish Leonard would do a show with Jennifer, Julie, and Perla as special guests!!!!!!!!

Here's hoping another "Cohen moment" will transpire next year, maybe with an appearance by the man himself......are you listening, management? 8)
This mental space is occupied and everything is mine
London (ON) June 6 1993/Kitchener June 2 2008/Ottawa May 25 & 26 2009/Ottawa December 2012
lizzytysh

Re: Courtney Love covers Cohen

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for posting this, CF ~

I'd like to hear Courtney's cover of that song. Do you know if it's on YouTube?
I really wish Leonard would do a show with Jennifer, Julie, and Perla as special guests!!!!!!!!
I agree so much with you that there isn't enough room here for all the exclamation marks.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks, Peter. I like it. She has a very avant-garde'y kind of style. I thought the comment asking about her being the U.S. equivalent of Marianne Faithful interesting.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”