CONCERT REPORT: Wollongong, Australia - December 4, 2013

The last leg of the Old Ideas tour in November and December 2013
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Wollongong, Australia - December 4, 2013

Post by sturgess66 »

The venue, WIN Entertainment Centre (formally Wollongong Entertainment Centre and commonly the WEC) is a multi-purpose, indoor arena located in downtown Wollongong, New South Wales.
It opened in 1988 and the seating capacity for concerts is 5,000.
Wollongong is a coastal city, about 55 miles south of Sydney.

Wollongong

From WIN Entertainment Centre Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/winentertainmentcentre
Leonard Cohen run times for tonight.
7.00 pm External Doors Open
8.00 pm Leonard Cohen – First Half
9.20 pm Intermission
9.40 pm Leonard Cohen – Second Half
11.30 pm Conclusion of show (approx)
Elle Jones - Family night out Leonard Cohen
Last edited by sturgess66 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Wollongong, Australia - December 4, 2013

Post by sturgess66 »

TWITTER -
@the_hollands - @wollongong_nsw: Musical LEGEND Leonard Cohen takes the stage @WINSportsEnt 4th Dec!" Love Leonard. Love Australia!
@mmm_brie - no one told me Leonard Cohen is playing in Wollongong tonight. THESE ARE SUCH IMPORTANT THINGS.
@IWIB_illawarra - a night at the WEC with Leonard Cohen
@doessheeek - I AM GOING TO BE IN THE SAME ROOM* AS LEONARD COHEN IN AN HOUR AND TWENTY-THREE MINUTES - *okay, stadium
@pjgoodman - @doessheeek I'm reading this exactly 23 minutes later, so that must mean NOW! Hope it's as exciting as you expected.
@littlehenrylee - en route to a bonus 4th leonard cohen show tonight cause the people i work with are THE BEST
@EastsFan 0 Leonard Cohen better be on his best behaviour tonight.
@veebee87 - At WIN Stadium waiting for Leonard Cohen to come on stage. Take 2!
@doessheeek - This is the consensus! I am nervous abt being in a stadium but honestly it is 5 mins walk from our flat and LEONARD COHEN.
@PeterLangstaff - The words. Oh the words. Leonard Cohen live. @ WIN Entertainment Centre http://instagram.com/p/hfyGiOs4u7/
@stringer1956 - Having a great time with #leonardcohen
@tanbrown1 - Leonard Cohen giving a masterclass in the Gong tonight on how to hold an audience captive #legend #goldenvoive
@Hil121 - Leonard Cohen - wonderful http://instagram.com/p/hgAz8XP3Ki/
@battledinosaur - my aunt went to see Leonard Cohen tonight and I therefore hate her forever
@_SamuelBraz - Leonard Cohen in #wollongong tonight. Great concert & very impressive considering he's 79! pic.twitter.com/cLZ2EE3qhM Image
@lamusicamiforma - Last time I let life rip my ticket to see Leonard Cohen out of my hand. This time I dragged all the insurmountables with me....
@lamusicamiforma - He sang and played and talked....no support act.....more than three hours on that stage.....putting younger men to shame...
@lamusicamiforma - He made my heart explode with his warmth and intellect and humour.....what a man...... #LeonardCohen
@lamusicamiforma - Goodnight Leonard....
@roseg - Leonard Cohen, started on time, great band, 3.5 hrs, pure class.
STATIGRAM -

lizzybedove - Love ... Leonard Cohen

lukewoods - I hope they gave him the good room at the Novotel #LeonardCohen #Wollongong

Short video clip from Statigram -

I'm Your Man - http://statigr.am/p/603841783737228523_38198206 (from Hamed Razavi)
Last edited by sturgess66 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.abc.net.au/local/reviews/201 ... 905468.htm
5 December, 2013 9:35AM AEDT

Leonard Cohen And The Art Of Ageless Music

Review by Justin Huntsdale

One of the most influential lyricists of the past 50 years delivered a marathon performance of his classics in a voice that gets richer by the year.

Leonard Cohen performs in concert. (Adrian Thompson - Flickr.com)

Music Details

Venue: Wollongong Entertainment Centre
Duration: 210 minutes
Rating: 5 stars

Leonard Cohen addressed the elephant in the room early last night at his concert in Wollongong.

"Friends, I don't know when we'll meet again, but I can promise you tonight we're going to give it everything we've got".

But at 79 years of age, still jogging on stage for a three and a half hour show and now on his third Australian tour since audiences thought they'd never see him live again, no one is game to suggest he won't be back.

And it becomes apparent over the course of the night that a three hour show is virtually required to properly honour his endless suite of music.

Surrounded by a carefully chosen band of virtuoso musicians, the touring Cohen of today is out to provide a smorgasbord of quality to accompany his poetic lyrics.

His voice has never been his trump card, and while it seems to have found even richer depths with age, it's the exquisite harmonies of his female back-up singers (Sharon Robinson and the Webb sisters) that lift and complement the Canadian poet.

As expected, the set-list was a greatest hits onslaught, each drawing a new round of applause from the almost full Wollongong Entertainment Centre.

From his opening 'Dance me to the end of love', then 'The future', 'Bird on a wire' and 'Everybody knows', it was a concert drawing on tracks from the 1967 'Songs of Leonard Cohen' to last year's 'Old Ideas'.

But you soon realise it doesn't matter when a song appears in a Leonard Cohen set - there's always another trick up his sleeve.

While most bands save their biggest hits until last, Cohen has amassed a career of them he can afford to drop in anywhere.

'Suzanne' early in the second set? No problem - simply go straight into 'Chelsea Hotel no. 2'.

'Hallelujah' before the first encore? What about following it with 'Take this waltz'?

While the crowd was varied in age, it was largely baby boomers enjoying the soundtrack to their adolescence and early adulthood played by a man who can still do his songs justice, but oozes humility.

And there is the enduring beauty of Leonard Cohen - his strength is his lyrics, each word carefully chosen and dripping with imagery and meaning, while he brings in a brilliant band half his age to carry those words.

And as he comically dances and jogs off stage after a third encore, you get the sense it'll be Cohen's decision rather than his body that tells him when it's time to say 'so long' for good.
John Stringer

Post by John Stringer »

Best concert I have ever been to!

Small correction: Wollongong is SOUTH of Sydney.

Leonard is one of the biggest names ever to tour here.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

John Stringer wrote:Best concert I have ever been to.
Thank you for posting John. It's good to hear from someone who was there.

Do you have a setlist for us?

Wendy
John Stringer

Post by John Stringer »

Hello Wendy

I did not know ALL the songs myself, but I think it was very probably the same set list as for Sydney the night before.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

John Stringer wrote:Best concert I have ever been to!
Small correction: Wollongong is SOUTH of Sydney.
Leonard is one of the biggest names ever to tour here.
Thanks, John - and I made the correction in initial post!
jotg

Post by jotg »

Looking at the setlist from the Sydney Opera House show I think I can safely say it was the same, including the encore songs and the order. It was a fantastic show. LC appeared to be genuinely enjoying himself, smiling alot, especially through the encore section and finale, and throwing in some jokes I hadn't heard him use before. So stoked he came to 'the Gong'.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Thanks for the confirmation re the setlist jotg.

Nice to see new members reporting about the concerts and keeping the information flowing!

Wendy
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Andrew (Darby) wrote:Wollongong, December 4th (according to setlist.fm)

Set 1
01 Dance Me To The End Of Love
02 The Future
03 Bird On The Wire
04 Everybody Knows
05 Who By Fire
06 Darkness
07 Amen
08 Come Healing
09 Lover Lover Lover
10 Anthem

Set 2
11 Tower Of Song
12 Suzanne
13 Chelsea Hotel
14 The Partisan
15 Alexandra Leaving (Sharon Robinson)
16 I’m Your Man
17 A Thousand Kisses Deep (recitation)
18 Hallelujah
19 Take This Waltz

Encore 1
20 So Long Marianne
21 Going Home
22 First We Take Manhattan

Encore 2
23 Famous Blue Raincoat
24 If It Be Your Will (the Webb sisters)
25 Closing Time

Encore 3
26 I Tried To Leave You
27 Save The Last Dance For Me

Return to “TOUR 2013 IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND”