CONCERT REPORT: Cairns, Queensland, Australia –26th Nov 2013

The last leg of the Old Ideas tour in November and December 2013
B4real

CONCERT REPORT: Cairns, Queensland, Australia –26th Nov 2013

Post by B4real »

Linda please do your usual intro. I just wanted to say this:

Cairns Pre-Concert Report 26.11.13
The sun has broken through the clouds here in Cairns and despite the forecast of thunderstorms this afternoon I have a feeling that this is going to be a wonderful day/night! I’m listening to local Cairns radio at the moment and they are repeatedly saying that the concert tonight is “The biggest musical event to hit Cairns in years”. Sharon Robinson and Roscoe Beck were specifically named and the band mentioned as a unit. Also stated is that there still are seats available – unbelievable! I’m lucky enough to have a dead centre front row seat. You know the price for that privilege is almost HALF of what I paid for a centre sixth row one in Melbourne. It’s hard to explain that because the venue tonight is agreeably more intimate than those big stadiums down south and you would think because of logistics etc. it would cost more.

The night I arrived I was standing by the window of my hotel looking at the view when a shadowy familiar figure in the hotel opposite caught my eye. I was tired from travelling all day and thought I was seeing things and I probably was. But yesterday when I went for a walk to take photos of this giant tourist cruiser ship literally parked a couple of blocks from the main street, I had a chance encounter with Leif B, Mitch’s guitar technician on a park bench between the two hotels. I had met him before briefly on a couple of occasions. We had a very interesting conversation about many things. And so the adventure continues .......
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
joyezekiel

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Cairns, Queensland, Australia –26th Nov

Post by joyezekiel »

B4real wrote:And so the adventure continues .......
Love reading about your adventures, Bev! Keep posting.... and have a wonderful time tonight! Cairns is very close to my heart as it's where Mark and I spent our honeymoon.... would love to be there right now.

Joy
Last edited by joyezekiel on Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Bev – the venue looks lovely –

Cairns is in the state of Queensland – the northeast corner of Australia.
Cairns Convention Centre is a multi-purpose arena that opened in 1997.
It is situated on the shores of the Great Barrier Reef and surrounded by ancient tropical rainforest.
Leonard Cohen’s show is in Hall 2 - capacity is 5,000.

PRE-CONCERT REPORT -
http://www.cairnspost.com.au/entertainm ... 6763624798
Hallelujah! Canadian legend Leonard Cohen lands at Cairns Convention Centre for Old Ideas World Tour

• Jesse Kuch
• The Cairns Post
• November 19, 2013 4:27PM

Leonard Cohen will be performing around Australia in Novemeber and December this year. Source: AFP
UNDER a week remains until iconic Canadian songwriter, poet and novelist Leonard Cohen lands in Cairns.
The revered 78-year-old singer songwriter, author of Suzanne, Hallelujah and Famous Blue Raincoat, is regarded as one of the world's greatest living musicians.
Cohen has been inducted into the American Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and both the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame.
He is also a Companion of the Order of Canada, the nation's highest civilian honour, alongside a Prince of Asturias Award-winner for literature.
Performing in Cairns for the first time, his show at the Convention Centre is a rare chance to catch the icon in action, backed up by a 12-piece band including The Webb Sisters and Sharon Robinson.
Hattie Webb from The Webb sisters told News Corp Australia that despite a gruelling schedule, Cohen and the band would be at their best next week.
"I suppose most concerts are 90 to 100 minutes but Leonard's shows are closer to three-and-a-half-hours," Webb said.
"I think Leonard has more stamina than anyone else in the band."
Leonard Cohen performs at Cairns Convention Centre on Tuesday, November 26, from 8pm. Tickets are on sale from ticketlink.com.au or 1300 855 835.
mutti

Post by mutti »

Bev thank you for your concert reports and updates. So happy you are having such a good time. I'd love to be there.
Enjoy and am loving reading all the reports from the Australian tour. Thank you everyone.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

LC&LC wrote:Cairns Entertainment center, November 26th

Dance me to the end of love
The future
Bird on a wire
Everybody knows
Who by fire
The darkness
Amen
Come healing
Lover lover lover
Anthem

Tower of songs
Suzanne
Chelsea hotel
Le partisan
Alessandra leaving (Sharon Robinson)
I'm your man
1000 kisses deep (recitation)
Hallelujah
Take this waltz

So long Marianne
Going home
First we take Manhattan

Famous blue raincoat
If it be your will (The Webb sisters)
Closing time
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Just a few things on Twitter from Cairns -
@melindairvine - Grabbed a last minute ticket to Leonard Cohen in cairns ... 30 minutes to showtime ...
@shakamurray - At Leonard Cohen live with my daughter. Important part of her education. Bliss... https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZ_Y8plCYAEYN5A.jpg
@LeanneTennant - Waiting for Leonard Cohen. http://fb.me/6ze0TDva3
@Erika_Borkoles - The amazing Leonard Cohen, stamina, awesome #memory, still has a great voice and he is 79!!! pic.twitter.com/i7DUQnEPUy
@gavking - The great Leonard Cohen in Cairns last night. Best music at the best concert in the best city in the nation! http://fb.me/219ymKZBv Image
The Webb Sisters shared a photo album from Cairns at their Facebook Page -
Look here to see 6 photos -----> https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 817&type=1
https://www.facebook.com/thewebbsisters

sound check today
Last edited by sturgess66 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
holydove

Post by holydove »

B4real wrote:
Cairns Pre-Concert Report 26.11.13
I have a feeling that this is going to be a wonderful day/night! I’m listening to local Cairns radio at the moment and they are repeatedly saying that the concert tonight is “The biggest musical event to hit Cairns in years”.

. And so the adventure continues .......
Hi Bev,

I believe it is about 4:00 a.m. right now, in your part of the world, & I trust the night was as wonderful, if not even more so, as you anticipated, as evenings with Leonard Cohen always seem to be even more wonderful than one can possibly imagine, no matter how many times one has the honor of such a blessed evening. I'm so glad to hear that you are arriving at all your destinations, safe & sound (though understandably exhausted), & having such a great time. I wish I could be there with you - (I've been saying that we must commission the construction of a new supersonic jet. . .) - & I greatly appreciate all your fantastic reports & photos, & look forward to hearing some of those recordings! I come to these threads every day, looking for concert reports, so I want to thank you for providing them so diligently & skillfully - it allows me to feel the energy, the love, the beauty, the bliss. . .almost as if I were actually there.

I trust your fear of flying has been significantly diminished - maybe almost cured - maybe totally cured (if that's possible??) - in the course of these wonderful journeys - I hope so!

Thank you again for all the great reports & photos, & enjoy the rest of your journeys & concerts! I am with you in spirit, as you were with me - on the airplanes & at the concerts!

I also want to thank everyone else who has been providing all the lovely reports & photos - they are greatly appreciated, & I'm so glad that our friends in Australia are being showered with so many joyous concerts, after such a long wait. I'm sure you are cherishing every precious moment, so keep on enjoying the bliss!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by Sajeela Jamie -

Dance Me To The End Of Love (partial)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulet9p9yatU
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by Tristan Rogalsky

If It Be Your Will
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJk5LfrtDOQ
B4real

Post by B4real »

Sorry I’m a little late with this, been a bit pre-occupied. Another excellent concert. They are all different in their own ways even though the set list remains fairly static there are subtle changes in the musical arrangements; some planned and some ad-libed.

Sorry not many photos. Two reasons –
First one: My camera insisted on having its own wobbly way again. I think Linda was right when she said there’s a ghost in it!
Second one: Because I had a dead centre front row seat and the stage was not high and really close. If my arm was twice the length I could have reached out and touched Leonard when he came to the front. That being the case, I felt I was invading his personal space with my camera. So after a few shaky shots I gave up and completely immersed myself in the moment at hand. Besides, I find you actually miss the feeling of continuity while fiddling around with a camera (especially one which behaves like mine!).
IMG_0178-C13.jpg
IMG_0175-C13.jpg
Generally, I think the Cairns crowd didn’t know what had hit them! A lot were like stunned mullets ….. to quote an Aussie expression! At the start of the second set there were a few cat calls and the usual “I love you Leonard”, to which he replied, “I’m very fond of you too! “

Here are a few more memorable remarks he made:
Background info – In Australia, Cairns is spelt with an unpronounced ‘r’.
Leonard said: “Oh, I was warned not to use the ‘r’ in your name, so grateful to the bus driver, he said under no, under no circumstances pronounce it with an ‘r’. You’ll get thrown into the river where the crocodiles are! It was a warm welcome.”

He varied the last bit of banter in Tower Of Song, reminiscent of when he first started doing it between the doo dum dum dum, day do dum dum’s of the girls. He said “Ah, don’t stop, just a little longer, just two or three more, before I have to confront this extremely generous audience, but nevertheless as you know, any concert is filled with abundant possibilities for humiliation. Just a little longer before I return to what I must do. Have I told you how much, how much this means to me. Well baby, I’m tellin’ you now! Thank you.” Absolutely cracked everyone up!

Near the beginning of Going Home Leonard sang this line “he just doesn’t have the cojones to refuse”. Well, there was astonished raucous laughter, especially among those who knew the original word and newly substituted word. Seems “cojones” means the same in Canada as it does in Australia! (it’s actually Spanish) Literally translated, they are part of a man’s anatomy and definitely something that females don’t physically possess although some do mentally! Generally it means “have the guts”. Leonard was undeniably in a cheeky mood last night!!

Well, my chant of “one more, one more ....” didn’t work this time. The concert was late starting and there was a curfew in place. Only 25 songs were sung ending with Closing Time. LC&LC has already posted the actual sung set list but here is the stage set list which I was again fortunate to receive.
Cairns-set-list-26.11.13.jpg
After 3 days in Cairns I reckon the UHTC are tropically adjusted and today we all are in Townsville where there is some relief from the 90-100% humidity of Cairns.

I have to state that I’m missing playing my violin. I usually play every day and it feels strange not to do so. All violinists have corns on their string fingers and mine are becoming soft so it’ll be a bit painful when I start to play again. Needless to say, Alex is such an inspiration!

I met Hattie, Mitch and Javier today. All absolutely charming people!

Now onward with the magical mystery tour!
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Post by B4real »

A couple more photos for what they're worth -
IMG_0163-C13.jpg
IMG_0177-C13.jpg
Thank you Rachel,
for you kind words! I haven't hardly had time to know what city I'm in let alone get some sleep. Had only four hours last night and it's almost 1am here and now I'm off to bed! So glad you are enjoying my journey. My audio recordings are not very good unfortunately. My fear of flying is still there but I'm working on it!
joyezekiel wrote:
B4real wrote:And so the adventure continues .......
Love reading about your adventures, Bev! Keep posting.... and have a wonderful time tonight! Cairns is very close to my heart as it's where Mark and I spent our honeymoon.... would love to be there right now.
Thanks Joy, It was a great night and I'm having a wonderful time - half way now, only 4 concerts to go!
mutti wrote:Bev thank you for your concert reports and updates. So happy you are having such a good time. I'd love to be there.
Thanks Leslie, I wish both you and Joy were here to share it with me too!
Last edited by B4real on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
holydove

Post by holydove »

B4real wrote:
Near the beginning of Going Home Leonard sang this line “he just doesn’t have the cojones to refuse”.
:lol: Oh, I do hope someone got a video or audio recording of that. Thanks for informing us of this very interesting alteration to the line, Bev, & for your, as usual, wonderful report.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

holydove wrote:
B4real wrote:
Near the beginning of Going Home Leonard sang this line “he just doesn’t have the cojones to refuse”.
:lol: Oh, I do hope someone got a video or audio recording of that...
Indeed, that is hilarious!
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

he just doesn’t have the cojones to refuse
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hereby declare Mr. Leonard "Leonardo" Cohen a fully-acculturated resident of the City of Los Angeles, Former Home of the Gone-but-not-forgotten Kosher Burrito.

And for the record, I think he does have them. I'm surprised he doesn't clang when he walks. :oops:
Junk

Post by Junk »

A review from Rhythms magazine:
https://rhythms.com.au/reviews/live-rev ... vember-26/
OK except for the misquote from the recitation.
LIVE REVIEW – Leonard Cohen, Cairns, November 26
Leonard Cohen

Cairns Convention Centre, November 26 2013

By Tony Hillier

Seven words are all that’s required to explain the worldwide phenomenon that Leonard Cohen in concert has become, and they came from the mouth of the man himself early on in the Cairns leg of his current and, in all probability, farewell, 10-date tour of Australia.

“Tonight we’ll give you everything we’ve got,” the legendary poet and singer-songwriter earnestly promised, and over the following three hours, the Canadian and his crack nine-piece multi-national band duly honoured that pledge.

Cohen was both munificent and magnificent, exuding oodles of charm and grace as he belied his 79 years with a characteristically generous 26-number show that contained pretty well all of the signature songs from his six decade career, free of fuss or ado.

There were no flash trappings or artifice, just a stage full of dark suited and mostly hatted musicians and techies going about their business in consummate fashion. There was no Jaggeresque gyrating from the great man, just the odd hop and skip, genuflection and supplicatory bowing and doffing of hat to the band. Praying mantis was his preferred position, as befits a sober septuagenarian.

Cohen countered the gravitas of his songs with some droll remarks. “Thank you for endangering your household budgets,” he quipped to a packed auditorium, in deference to three-figure ticket tags. “Are you humouring me?” he laughingly inquired, alluding to his advanced years, after a Grade Eight keyboard solo in ‘Tower Of Song’ elicited wild applause from the adoring throng. Cohen’s spasmodic guitar playing was rather more effective, although similarly basic.

The laughter was leavening. Attending a Cohen show can be likened to a religious experience. The deep ecclesiastical tone, worthy of a pontiff, and the biblical allusions in his hymn-like songs to remorse, retribution, revenge, repentance and other mass nouns beginning with the letter ‘r’, certainly promote reverence.

Cohen’s slow enunciation and sonority peaked in the more romantically inclined offerings. A large female audience swooned as one when the dapper Canadian launched into a stripped back rendition of his gentle ballad ‘Suzanne’. You could hear a pin drop during an impeccably delivered recitation of ‘A Thousand Kisses Deep’. “And sometimes when the night is slow / The wretched and the meek / We gather up our hearts and go, A Thousand Kisses Deep.” He oozed urbane sexuality and masculine assurance in ‘I’m Your Man’, another set highlight for this inveterate fan. In rockier mode, Cohen and band’s stirring rendition of ‘First We Take Manhattan’, which concluded his first encore, had punters bopping in the aisles.

The members of Cohen’s classy backing band were equally mesmerising as each took a turn in the spotlight without a vestige of ostentation. Needless to say, their primary function, of contributing to ensemble excellence, assisted Cohen immeasurably in replenishing audience connections to his incomparable back catalogue.

Bassist/MD Roscoe Beck (in a tight-as engine room with Mexican drummer Rafael Gayol) and his fellow Americans, guitarist Mitch Watkins and principal back-up vocalist Sharon Robinson, demonstrated the assurance and poise that comes with having enjoyed an association with Cohen extending back to 1979. Whether in unison or three-part harmony, Charley and Hattie Webb combined symbiotically with Robinson, especially so on ‘Come Healing’. The UK sisters brought the house down on their own in a folky duet rendition of ‘If It Be Your Will’.

Javier Mas provided exotic colouring on bandurria and other Spanish lutes, crafting a riveting intro to ‘Who By Fire’ on his bass laud. Moldavian Alexandru Bublitchi’s beautifully constructed gypsy fiddle breaks were similarly effective. A scintillating Hammond B3 solo from Neil Larsen lifted ‘Hallelujah’, a song that has just about been done to death thanks to a landslide of cover versions.

By the end of a marathon concert that seemed to pass with indecent haste, the audience rose as one to accord the tireless Leonard Cohen and his magnificent band the standing ovation they so richly deserved. The show will linger long in local memory banks.

SET LIST

First Half

Dance Me to the End of Love

The Future

Bird On The Wire

Everybody Knows

Who By Fire

Darkness

Amen

Come Healing

Lover Lover Lover

Anthem

Second Half

Tower Of Song

Suzanne

Chelsea Hotel #2

Waiting For The Miracle

In My Secret Life

The Partisan

Alexandra Leaving*

I’m Your Man

A Thousand Kisses Deep

Hallelujah

Take This Waltz

Encore 1:

So Long, Marianne

Going Home

First We Take Manhattan

Encore 2:

Famous Blue Raincoat

If It Be Your Will**

Closing Time

* performed by Sharon Robinson

** performed by the Webb Sisters

Leonard Cohen’s remaining performances in Australia are at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre (November 30), Wollongong Entertainment Centre (December 4), Geelong’s The Hill Winery (December 7) and the Adelaide Entertainment Centre (December 11).

Return to “TOUR 2013 IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND”