CONCERT REPORT: Brighton, AUGUST 28th 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
Mabeanie1

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Brighton, AUGUST 28th 2013

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Helen

Watching video clips is no substitute for seeing the real thing, as Vicomtesse has done very recently.

Wendy
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Couldn't have put it better, Wendy, no substitute for being close up and personal ;-)
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Firstly I don't write in defence of Vicomtesse (who from first hand knowledge I know that she has no problems in defending herself ;-) ) only to put my "own" side of things regarding the continuation of The Man touring after the end of this tour.

She, or perhaps I should say we, have been very close up to Leonard not only at concerts but privately when we have been lucky enough to meet him in quieter moments. He is without doubt a very fit person for a 79 year old (and for many people, decades earlier!) but as many will know, there is a wall that one will eventually meet and that is the deciding factor for anyone as to their future way of life. Now please don't knock me down when I say that personally after seeing him for a very long time, this last tour I have seen a change in him, it is my belief by way of seeing him with my own eyes that he looks frail and more than he ever did since his return, he looks good I agree, name me many of his age that wouldn't look on the frail side? As for him dancing off stage, it is something he has done since continuing, please don't let us mistake that for being proof that he is fit and raring to continue, no more than the humble way he kneels down does. I don't need to read what reporters are saying regards Leonard, most of those are still wet behind the ears and see him at one venue and make their judgements on those 3 hours, fair enough it is their job to make such assumptions but when you see LC over many years, as many here have done, little things can stack up, something most one concert reporting journalists cannot do.

When he mentions of his desire to smoke again at 80, this is not a new statement, he has mentioned it before, indeed he told us that story in a hotel in Caen back in 2010. In passing I asked if he would play Barcelona again on his 80th Birthday and his reply was perhaps and if so, he would start smoking again as well.

I am sorry if no one else agrees with me when I say that Leonard did wobble on occasion when standing, to me that is normal for most people but I have to say I have not witnessed it before with L.C. It is not a big problem of course but just something that makes me believe this will be the last tour, certainly of such magnitude. I see no point in me denying I saw it happen. His voice has deepened further in certain songs, whether intentionally, or not I don't know. I noted as well that now and again, not much but noticeable, he went slightly off tune and even had to rush words in to finish the sentence, again, not much to worry about but in my mind things were adding up to this maybe being the final tour. I say this but it is kind of bizarre in a way because after 2010 and the tour ending, I was one of just a few, perhaps the first who said after some people believed he would not tour again that Leonard would certainly tour again for sure, the adulation he was getting from the audiences was worth more than money and it would seduce him in to returning for another tour (this time even lengthier) Now I am going the other way and against the thoughts of some who say he is fit and well enough to do so.....

To Helen who says her friend Weird Al loses weight, you might like to ask Mitch why it appears that he is expanding his waist line ;-) And this weight loss that LC has, if the theory is right, then I can quite honestly say, I have not noticed such a loss in previous tours. Perhaps it is age and this can happen, a loss of appetite is not uncommon but of course, it can happen in reverse, we have lots of overweight ageing Bretons around us :D

I don't think it is relative to compare retirement ages of athletes, or anyone else to musicians, if you want to see a group with a stick thin singer who at 70 looks truly fit but could he run 400 metres or more and not have to retire from athletics, well no, sorry Sir Mick ......It is not negative opinions.

To end, I don't wax lyrically about Leonard, I don't feel the need and it bothers me only a tad to read some oh so fluffy posts but hey, I love football and I probably drive non aficionados bonkers when I bring it up :lol: LC is to me like my favourite comfortable chair, we have kind of grown up together in a nice and easy way. We sit and listen to Leonard on occasion, we know what is was like all those decades ago, I am not enamoured by the way it is now but such antics ( the ones we read about that people are unhappy with) are not enough to stop me wanting to see him in concert. Like life, you take the rough with the smooth, rather like my old armchair. Yes, perhaps I would see Leonard again, the fear of missing that last time is a great pull, we have said, not again and been again, no doubt that is what will happen but my true fear is that it is over. Still we have the new album (notice, I never said CD, it ages us to many of our younger family) that Jarkko spoke about.

Now you can bash me up but that's how I see it.....
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
da2008

Post by da2008 »

This forum.
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

Vicomte wrote: To Helen who says her friend Weird Al loses weight, you might like to ask Mitch why it appears that he is expanding his waist line ;-) And this weight loss that LC has, if the theory is right, then I can quite honestly say, I have not noticed such a loss in previous tours. Perhaps it is age and this can happen, a loss of appetite is not uncommon but of course, it can happen in reverse, we have lots of overweight ageing Bretons around us :D
No thank you, I would not like to ask Mitch why it appears that he is expanding his waist line. :lol: But I will note that both my "friend" Al (I'm one of the fans he knows by name, and he's always friendly toward me when we meet, but that's hardly the same as him being a friend) and Leonard are the front men, the headliners-- they're the ones on their feet & moving around all night. They're expending a lot of energy.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video footage posted by Evergig -
Famous Blue Raincoat, Closing Time (partial), Save The Last Dance (partial)
http://www.evergig.com/concerts/2013/08 ... nard_Cohen

(This is "Evergig" - http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/19/evergi ... ter-sound/ )

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”