CONCERT REPORTS: Montreal, November 28 & 29, 2012

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Montreal,Quebec - November 28th & 29th,2

Post by sturgess66 »

Just another Hallelujah - :D

Video is not close up - but the sound is very good.

Uploaded by Bernard Besancenot - Thanks!

Hallelujah ("I've told the truth, I did not come home to fool you")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri71vOxyI0I
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

It's little surprise that Montreal's homecoming was that fabulous, yet it's heart broadening to read it was that warm.
'La Manic' is such a gem. Totally wouldn't mind LC one day records a whole album of French Chansons :-)

Thanks everyone for the reports and vid links.
Am sure more will come as people are back home from their travels with better internet connection.

Shabbat Shalom from Tel Aviv,
--Sharon
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

VeloVermont, ;-) à toi aussi. Indeed, nos commentaires vont dans le même sens. :D

Oh yes, the crew of sound technicians deserves a good cheer, the sound was à la hauteur de Leonard Cohen. I do believe that He saw to it (quality), but the guys had to deliver and they did. The musicians and the back signers are also so dedicated, talented and humble on the stage. High Heights.

Not so easy to get there, and what is extraodinary is the (apparent) simplicity of the delivery.

Wooo... I was surprised to see a "little" piece of History around the performance of La Manic, in this thread. I guess this normal curiosity, curious as I am, I understand this. The translation tells the story efficiently, accurately, but the poetry and the music in the words, as they are sounding in the original, are lost, like in most translation, there is no fault from the translator in term of content. Not that I want to brat or something, but History and story may pleased the rational side of the affair, but don't explain the emotional phenomenon of Leonard Cohen singing it.

For some of you here who are interested in the past of this particular performance, here are the original by Georges D'or (is it me, or this very soft guy has - kind of - an evil look on a particular photo, hihihihi) :D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNPJaKMIufI

and by Pauline Julien, here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe_SbU0NXwA

Those are the versions Leonard Cohen must have shared with all the other Montrealers, Quebecers, and the Frenchies all over the world. It was particularly popular in Belgium.

I still don't know how to speak about the emotional side, so good bye, and I hope you are enjoying these added pieces of History.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

I am immensly glad and fortunate to have seen Leonard Cohen play in his home town , and it is great to still be in this wonderful city ( even though it is rather cold ).

The concerts were great , as they always are, but the fact of being in montreal perhaps didn`t add as much as the romantic side of me had hoped . It was good to hear him make various references to home , and to speak in french (though its easier for me to understand when he speaks in english !)
it was magical and moving to hear him sing what at the time to me was an unknown french - quebecoise song , and to feel the audience respond so enthusiastically . Subsequently it was interesting to educate myself a bit about George Dors and La manic . He wouldn`t have performed that outside this province i guess
But did the location really matter ? Certainly much of the time I was so lost in the performance before me that the city outside became irrelevent . Leonard`s voice in my view continues to improve - his body language is also more expressive in the totality of his stage performance .The band get better and better and Alex is now so integral to the sound that my early tendency to 'miss Dino' has gone. They give it their all everywhere they play .. montreal didnt add to that.
So did the 'montreal' aspect make it significantly more special than usual ? I'd be interested in views on that .

The downsides ? .. The huge sports arena venue wasn't great , i almost slipped on spilt beer , the security was strict ,and the weather was , for an english person , very cold ! in other words there werènt too many serious downsides!!

I have a little hobby of making a few videos at concerts , which i realise is strictly against the rules but i can assure you i do it discretely so as not to affect the experience of others . I dislike glaring phone screens held aloft as much as anyone .
i got a certain amount of good video on night 1 but was told eventually to stop ( to be more precise i was twice told to stop).
Shortly after i sat down on night 2 someone from security came up to me and said something like " you were the guy with the video last night ........if you want to enjoy tonights show don`t get it out .."
This was said reasonably politely but i was clearly a marked man :shock: . As a result i only got a little video on night 2 . As i said to Gwen ( musicmania ) who was sitting next to me it's important not to be totally defeated on these matters ! 8)
It was good as always to meet with a few forum members . Thanks in particular to Rachel for the ticket for the second night .
I'll post any worthwhile video when i have a better internet connection . Its great that inspite of the efforts of security there is some great video already posted
I also have a very good recording of the whole of both concerts so will look into a vine (or 2 ) if anyone is interested .

One unique opportunity that being in montreal gives is to be able to see Leonard's house and that is to come .
A friend who is here with me loves Leonard's music but cant understand why i would want to see his house .
To be honest i am lost for an explanation but will just follow my heart and leave the head a little behind :)
Last edited by cohenadmirer on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Cate

Post by Cate »

sturgess66 wrote:Video uploaded by caro8680 - Thanks!

La Manic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYXP7n3jP1c
oh my gosh ...
That was great!!!
thank you so much for posting, I hope that he preforms this in other Canadian cities as well. (at least Kingston)
margaret

Post by margaret »

cohenadmirer wrote:I am immensly glad and fortunate to have seen Leonard Cohen play in his home town , and it is great to still be in this wonderful city ( even though it is rather cold ).

I also have a very good recording of the whole of both concerts so will look into a vine (or 2 ) if anyone is interested .

One unique opportunity that being in montreal gives is to be able to see Leonard's house and that is to come .
A friend who is here with me loves Leonard's music but cant understand why i would want to see his house .
To be honest i am lost for an explanation but will just follow my heart and leave the head a little behind :)
Of course we are interested in a vine or 2 :roll:
I would love to have attended a concert in Montreal, and visited all the places I've read of, but it was not to be this year, and particularly in the depths of winter!
I feel quite envious reading all these reports.

Margaret
B4real

Post by B4real »

I am sitting here writing this from tropical Queensland with a bad case of sunburn while all of you are being snowed upon in Montreal. Well, I almost made it there - so close - but it was not to be. I knew it would be a magical night or two but it seems from all your wonderful reports and videos it has exceeded my expectations!! I can't thank everyone enough for them. I have viewed the videos from 28th in order of the concert to give me a feeling of how the night went. You have no idea how very much I wish I could have been there but I am so pleased that everyone had a wonderful, wonderful time. :D
Steve Wilcox wrote:I just have to comment on the sound of the violin.
But notice the small mic suspended over the f-hole on Alex's violin. The violin sounds so warm - you can hear the wood grain vibrating. Beautiful - and in a hockey rink no less!!
Leonard's sound technicians are simply the best. Heading to Quebec City on Sunday!
ah Steve, I'm in total agreement with you and it's so much more than beautiful :D When you play you can feel that vibration going right through your whole body; it's so intoxicating! Have a great time on Sunday!

..... and David, I look forward to your videos and sound recordings with much pleasure!

EDITED: To change the date of the videos listed here as 29th. They were actually 28th.
Last edited by B4real on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by martinbeaudinlecours - Thanks!

The Partisan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs1gzMgYfLk
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
Great to hear "La Manic" by mr Cohen. He must have loved this song for years, check his acceptance speech for the Canadian Songwriters Hall Of Fame back in 2006:
http://youtu.be/AS2qxBvEP10

The reference to La Manic starts around 2.45, if you manage to get to that point without letting a tear roll down your cheeck...

Si tu savais comme on s'ennuie
A la Manic
Tu m'écrirais bien plus souvent
A la Manicouagan

Thanks, mr Cohen

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

"very cold" :? :lol: It was just a little affectuous bite of cold. Just to play.

"Very" cold is minus 30 and more. That is cold. All claws out.

How interesting to read the feelings of people from everywhere and also the comments of fans who follow him from concert to concert all around the world, as each one is such a unique gem.

Personnally, I keep a vivid memory of The Partisan I heard in Québec (somebody must have a video somewhere) which I prefer to the one of last night, although the whole concert of last night had a certain atmosphere of transcendence that the one in Quebec did not have. For me, I do believe it is the home town effect, from my particular point of view, although I'm sure that he is able to create this mystic tour de force everywhere in the world in this tour.

At some point, last night, I was thinking that Leonard Cohen was like a man who has done his job, the hard way, and now, he is discharged of the duty and he is just enjoying life. However it occured to me that he was just continuing to perform "his ordinary job" but with the learning of a long time rigourus zen practice that gives all its fruits, at last. That is extraordinary, the way he travelled in his art and through time.

So I guess I also have to thank Roshi for this.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Thank you for all the reports by concert goers - very special and from the heart.

And thank you to all the videographers who captured such great moments.
A special thank you to leonardcohenvideo (whoever you are) for your many outstanding videos.
"Show Me The Place" is extra special!

I hear there will be more videos to come from members when they return home. I look forward to those too

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Francy

Post by Francy »

Maarten wrote:Hi,
Great to hear "La Manic" by mr Cohen. He must have loved this song for years, check his acceptance speech for the Canadian Songwriters Hall Of Fame back in 2006:
http://youtu.be/AS2qxBvEP10

The reference to La Manic starts around 2.45, if you manage to get to that point without letting a tear roll down your cheeck...

Si tu savais comme on s'ennuie
A la Manic
Tu m'écrirais bien plus souvent
A la Manicouagan

Thanks, mr Cohen
Wonderfull!!!
Thank you Maarten for posting this...
What a great memory you have! ;-)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

These are all partials -

Uploaded by cosmicmechanic - Thanks!

Everybody Knows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3oT0-BUFQM

The Future
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtIYN6MPZO0

The Partisan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJhEColP1xk

I'm Your Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2elPUjEEgNM
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by Dor Dervishi - Thanks!

Nov 29

Good Night :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85Xs-XKCgo
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Wonderful those technical captures of all sorts of course, but believe me, you have to live the experience live. Don't miss his next concert, wherever you are. :D

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”