CONCERT REPORTS: Montreal, November 28 & 29, 2012

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
Tchocolatl

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Montreal,Quebec - November 28th & 29th,2

Post by Tchocolatl »

29/11/2012 : what a night!

I'm speechless, encore.

The man is not just another lazy bastard in a suit, as he was joking, I mean, he does not just have class, either, he is The Class made flesh.

What a voice (what's new, here?)

I heard this from some people in the crowd :

"welcome home"
"I love you"
"we love you"

So true. So real.

This huge arena filled with a Beautiful warm energy created by Cohen, it is hard to described. It was amazing.

I don't know if it was his (probably) long zazen sessions that make him want to perfom on his knee so very often but some people in this thread wrote it : this concert was a medidation, so true also, and also true that each concert is different from the other, every time it is a unique, original event. Je suis bien contente d'avoir assisté à la représentation du 29 à cause de La Manic de George D'or, qu'il a sortie de son chapeau, et qui s'est envolée, magnifique chanson qu'elle est, sur une interprétation par the golden voice à couper le souffle. Quelle surprise et quelle joie. Si je n'avais pas été assise, je me serais retrouvée sur le c... Merci M. Cohen pour ça aussi. Encore... . Je pensais bien avoir fini de dire merci.

Thank you also to all the members of the band, to Sharon and the Webb sisters. What a night! I am so very speechless.(another Cohen's magic to be greatful for) 8) I mean, the words alone are pale to render the experience.

Also, for two days, the air of the town was filled with the art of Leonard Cohen, you could hear his songs on the radio (première chaine de radio-canada) followed by spontaneous, impromptu, delighted comments from anybody who has seen the show on Wednesday.

A full moon, a bit of cold, and snow. If you ask me, it is a perfect stage for a Leonard Cohen appearance. It was magic in every way.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

"La manic" must be more than just a "love song" for Quebec people, it describes the solitude of the dam builders on the river Manicouagan during the 60-70es.

Manic-5, the Manic-5-PA and Daniel Johnson Dam hydroelectric form a Hydro-Québec located on the North Shore of Quebec, the Manicouagan RCM.
The dam is the largest multiple arch dam in the world and foothills. Launched in 1968 and commissioned in 1970 as part of the project Manic-Outardes, it has a drop height of 141.8 m and the total installed capacity of the two plants is 2660 MW.

Construction of the Manic-5 and Daniel Johnson Dam is in the context of Quebec's Quiet Revolution, a time when "Hydro-Québec is quickly becoming a symbol of the new Quebec nationalism and the new economic strategy of State, "said historian Paul-André Linteau in his History of Quebec contemporain9. In this context, the progress is closely monitored by the public is invited in the popular culture of the time.
Thus, the singer Georges Dor wrote his great success The Manic in 1966. The song tells the letters of a worker exiled to the site. It describes how he feels alone so far from home. The "If you knew how we get bored with the Manic ... "has captured the imagination of Quebecers this period. This song was covered in 1998 by Bruno Pelletier (where it is found on his 2001 live among others).
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

An English translation, thank you to PaulZAgreb on FB

If only you knew how long the time is at Manic
You'd write way more often, to the Manicouagan
Sometimes I think so hard about you
That I recreate your soul and your body
I look at you and I am filled with wonder
I throw myself into you
Just like the river into the sea
And the flower into the bee

My beautiful lover, what do your silken forehead
And your velvet eyes become, when I am not there
Do you turn towards the Côte-Nord 1
To see a little, to see some more
My hand signalling you to wait
At twilight and at dawn, I reach out
I meet you wherever you may be
And I keep you

Tell me what's going on in Trois-Rivières and in Quebec City
Where there's so much to do, and eveything we do with it
Tell me what's going on in Montreal
In the dirty side streets
Where you're always the more beautiful
Because ugliness can't get to you
You, who I'll love until I pass away
My eternal

We boast around all day long
But we're all good guys faithful to their loves
Some play guitar
Others play accordion
To pass time, when the time is long
But me, I play of my love
And I dance, saying your name
Because I love you so much

If only you knew how long the time is at Manic
You'd write way more often, to the Manicouagan
If you don't have much to tell me
Write the words 'I love you' a hundred times
It will be the most beautiful of poems
I'll read it a hundred times
A hundred times, a hundred times are not a lot
For those who are in love

If only you knew how long the time is
At Manic
You'd write way more often
To the Manicouagan
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

VELOVERMONT wrote:Here is one rendition of " La Manic".

Soundwise hopefully a better one will appear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcVqPg3K ... e=youtu.be
Thanks so much VERLOVERMONT - and here is another video uploaded by the same person (MrYvesma)

Montreal welcomes it's native son - Leonard Cohen with (So long Marianne)
Montreal warmly welcomes it's native son Leonard Cohen at the Bell Center, thursday November 29th 2012. He is ovationned and then sings ''So long, Marianne''
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVJydSgMWuE&list=UL
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by cbcg23 - Thanks!

Nov 28

Who By Fire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7piAJjogBSU

Heart With No Companion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNIg_wj5Qis

Famous Blue Raincoat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQPDgl-gFQQ

Nov 29

In My Secret Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCr-yIsz4_w&list=UL
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Huffington Post -
http://quebec.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/11 ... rtissement

GOOGLE TRANSLATION (see link above for original article in French)
Leonard Cohen Performing in Montreal: The Large Class

MONTREAL Could you imagine such greatness of soul in the temple of hockey in Montreal before coming singer Leonard Cohen won the hearts of 12,562 spectators? And yet ... In a small but sumptuous decor, the 78 year old man, armed with a brilliant poetry, caustic humor and charisma solemn succeeded in concert Wednesday night at the Bell Centre, the One of the most poignant rendezvous 2012.

After a triumphant tour of more than two years, Leonard Cohen turned to the great amphitheatres, caves able to meet all of a sudden the curious, the plebs and the faithful. A challenge successfully met by nine musicians and three singers, including her beloved collaborator Sharon Robinson.

Dressed in elegant costumes, they are all beautiful to look elsewhere when they bring on stage at 20:15. Wearing his hat eternal (five musicians have adopted the same decorum) and dressed in a dark gray suit glittering Cohen chic and personable. Magnified by a great confidence. The audience is watching and dance begins.

Dance Me

Musicians soar on Dance Me To The End Of Love. This is the first chills that run sounds jazzy Mitch Watkins guitar and violin newcomer Alexandru Moldovan Bublitchi. Beautiful. "I do not know when we will meet again, but tonight, I promise you we will give everything we have, says the baritone voice warm and cavernous. '

As the majority of the songs, the body arched legs firmly rooted to the ground, Cohen sing with grace and conviction The Future. Interpreted carefully, it performs a few dance steps felt well before disappearing into the darkness at last "repent."

As we know, the first part will be devoted to the classics. Bird On A Wire is no exception. On his knees in the center of the scene, it sends the ceremonial song. Already, he likes to play. Later, he takes off his hat to watch the body straight, the Spaniard Javier Mas run on acoustic guitar. In the final, the words "to be free" serious and compelling, run into the room.

We then hear Everybody Knows Who By Fire (introduced by a solo flamenco inspired but not amazing musician Barcelona) and playful Is not No Cure For Love, with its colors of soul. Darkness is that we can hear the sound hardware brand new album Old Ideas: beautiful blues that evokes the dark atmospheres of the desert.

After the confessions of Amen ("Tell me again When I've seen through horror. Tell me again. Tell me over and over. Tell me that you'll want me then"), the singer is discreet Healing Come on, leaving place with angelic voices of the Webb Sisters. The beautiful melody (a virtual Christmas carol) Secret Life pass before the magnificent poem A Thousand Kisses Deep, declaimed by Leonard Cohen. Hymn to love very emotional.

I'm Your Man

Return from intermission, Cohen wears his hat in the abdomen and gratefully acknowledges the audience before offering Tower Of Song Suzanne and very popular. On the latter, a light-dive cutting against the singer and the giant shadows inhabit gigantic white curtain silky disposed behind the band.

Further, we will be entitled to the lightest Heart With No Companion to Eastern country accents, The Partisan and Alexandra Leaving Song, performed by Sharon Robinson. Next came the incomparable I'm Your Man (seducer, Cohen beg for love. Simply awesome!) And the immortal Hallelujah, one of the most beautiful songs written in recent decades. Lulled by the Waltz Take This Waltz, the crowd was delighted.

The song is beautiful, beautiful music and very good sound quality.

And then ..., Montreal

The first reminder, you can see that the strength of Cohen ovation for a few minutes he returned to the stage hopping! The humble man takes his foot in front of so much admiration. Conquered the audience sing the infectious So Long Marianne. At the dance First We Take Manhattan, we are ready to follow Cohen anywhere, even Berlin.

Following parts Famous Blue and If It Be Your Will Closing Time will conclude this epic concert and very generous (some 28 songs for three hours of service) the general Cohen.

The singer is back at the Bell Centre tonight, Thursday, and Sunday at the Quebec Coliseum.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Nov 28

Uploaded by leonardcohenvideo

Show Me The Place
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkOk_r7wTdI
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Congratulations to all of you who heard Leonard perform "La Manic." "If you knew how life drags on, you would write to me more often." It must have been very special to have been at this homecoming concert. I wish that we could have been there as well.

Here's hoping that there are more concerts in 2013 and that we get to see you.

Joe & Anne
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Hartmut

AW: CONCERT REPORT: Montreal,Quebec - November 28th & 29th,2

Post by Hartmut »

A big thank you to all the videographers!
VELOVERMONT

Post by VELOVERMONT »

DESPERATLY AWAITING A GOOD QUALITY, SOUNDWISE, OF LEONARD'S RENDITION OF " LA MANIC" TO PAY REAL JUSTICE TO THE SONG.
IT HAS SO MANY COHENLIKE SIMILARITIES...LOVE...LONGING...MELANCHOLIA... IT EVEN HAS A COHENLIKE SOUND.

IT WOULD DESERVE TO BE PART OF LEONARD'S REPERTOIRE BUT I UNDERSTAND THAT THE FRENCH LYRICS ARE AN IMPEDIMENT, AND MORE SO THE FACT THAT LEONARD ESSENTIALLY SINGS HIS OWN SONGS. BUT THERE ARE FRENCH LYRICS IN THE PARTISAN, AND HASN'T LEONARD ONCE SUNG " UN CANADIEN ERRANT IN A 1979 ALBUM ?

MY SUPPLICATION TO CAMERA AFFICIONADOS IN QUEBEC : PLEASE UPLOAD " LA MANIC"
montreal 2008; montreal 2012x2
yoeri

Post by yoeri »

Last edited by yoeri on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008: Athens
2009: Madrid
2010: Gent, Lille
2012: Gent, Berlin, Madrid
2013: Antwerp, Brussels, Pula, Amsterdam
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Last edited by sturgess66 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eva

Post by Eva »

There are no words which I can add to your comments...we were there in Leonard's temple of song...this concert will resonate within us...as each of his songs/poems evokes a memory, a longing, a prayer or a truth...his songs may chill you to the bone or elevate you to magical heights.
Someone asked me last night how did this concert compare to the others. All his concerts are a gift, a treaure,... to be so honoured to be part of our great Leonard Cohen, to live in his time is as I said before, a privilege... and each of his concerts carves deeper into my soul.
I will however agree with Jack, it was his best, because, as a Montrealer, I do think last night he stole the heart of Montreal ...high time that our two solitudes have come to accept and be proud of their own.

When Leonard enters upon the stage "Magic is afoot" and all your comments reflected that.
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Letter to Montreal Gazette - printed in Montreal Gazette - :)
http://www.montrealgazette.com/Letter+L ... story.html
Letter: Leonard Cohen should have been on Page 1

Montreal Gazette November 30, 2012 9:02 AM

I was truly disappointed that the Leonard Cohen concert was not reviewed on the front page Thursday morning. He is an admirable performer who has longevity and class. We do not need another alleged fraudster greeting us as we open the morning paper!

Nancy K. Leithman

Dollard-des-Ormeaux
© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette
And another one -
Letter: Why a Page 1 photo for Justin Bieber, but not for Leonard Cohen?

Montreal Gazette November 30, 2012

Montreal legend sings at the Bell Centre in Montreal Wednesday, November 28, 2012 on what is being billed as his “Old Ideas World Tour”. (John Kenney/THE GAZETTE)
Photograph by: John Kenney , Montreal Gazette

In the last week I have been fortunate enough to see three awesome acts at the Bell Centre — old acts at that: The Who, Neil Young and, Wednesday night, Leonard Cohen — and yet the only performer who was given a prominent front-page acknowledgement and picture in the The Gazette was Justin Bieber!

I just don’t get it. Leonard Cohen is a local boy, he’s 78, he’s a Canadian legend, and yet all he gets on the front page is a small quote.

Where’s the love, where’s the respect? Cohen gave an amazing performance with stellar musicians and singers, totally gimmick free.

Will the same be said of Bieber in 60 years’ time? I think not. The Gazette let Cohen and us down

Marilyn Ambroziak

Montreal
© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette
Last edited by sturgess66 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox »

I just have to comment on the sound of the violin. Live violin usually sounds terrible as violinists tend to use an electric violin or a bridge type pick up. The results are a thin harsh annoying sound.

But notice the small mic suspended over the f-hole on Alex's violin. The violin sounds so warm - you can hear the wood grain vibrating. Beautiful - and in a hockey rink no less!!

Leonard's sound technicians are simply the best. Heading to Quebec City on Sunday!

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”