Leonard Cohen: Rock Legends film

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
Hal E. Lujah

Leonard Cohen: Rock Legends film

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

Hi

What do people think of the Rock Legends film which I think just recently came out in art theatres? I saw it in NY. There is a great deal of archival footage that has not been formally released, but is of great value to those reading these words. Met the producer who is not a fan of our man, but seemed interested in making another if this is well-received. It's surprising that it takes a non-fan to seek out the archives of live performances, so perhaps I am missing something.

Hal
Maarten

Re: Leonard Cohen: Rock Legends film

Post by Maarten »

Hi

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know more about this?
Link I found: http://www.cinemaartscentre.org/event/leonard-cohen/

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Hal E. Lujah

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

Hey,

I just a second ago got a reply from the esteemed Jarkko, to whom I had earlier written directly. I believe he will contact Shelley. I aim to broaden the reception to this material, which I found moving. When those two meet I think the result is going to be something good for us and of course for the legacy of Our Man. I highly recommend it for the devoted fans only, who would enjoy the trajectory form the earliest recorded live performances until fairly recently. It's only for those who can't get enough. Less popular material is included which would never be officially released for that reason, but that's what makes this film valuable; it's not the most popular stuff, and it's hard to find. I will fill you in when I hear, or maybe Jarkko will speak directly about it.

To L.C.,
Hal E.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Maarten wrote:Hi

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know more about this?
Link I found: http://www.cinemaartscentre.org/event/leonard-cohen/

Maarten
Wish I had known about this, but thanks for the info, Hal E., & for contacting Jarkko about it - great idea!

I just called the theater & the man I spoke with said it's not exactly a film, but the event consisted of Bill Shelley speaking & showing various single videos of rare concert footage & TV appearances; it was a one-night event with no plans for repeating it there or anywhere else. But maybe Jarkko can change that for us. And thank you in advance, to Jarkko, for your efforts! It would be great to have the opportunity to see some of this.
holydove

Post by holydove »

This will be shown at the Avon Theatre in Stamford, CT on Dec. 19, for which I am very happy! Thanks to anyone & everyone involved in making this happen. Here is the info & link:

Shelley Archives Presents
Legends of Rock Live
LEONARD COHEN
Rare Clips (1967-1980s)

Hosted by Music Archivist Bill Shelley
Thursday, December 19 at 7:30 p.m.

Carte Blanche: FREE | Members: $6 | Students/Seniors: $8 | Nonmembers: $11

ABOUT THE PROGRAM: Leonard Cohen is a legendary poet, writer, singer, and songwriter whose articulate and witty insights and personal style have touched his audiences for decades. His songs have influenced and inspired numerous artists and have created hits for many of them. In 1967, after struggling as a poet, Cohen moved from his native Canada to the United States to pursue a career as a folk music singer-songwriter. He was on the edge of Andy Warhol's "Factory" group and seemed to be influenced by Nico’s singing style and The Velvet Underground. Soon Cohen’s song "Suzanne" became a hit for Judy Collins and was covered by other artists. This program will try to capture some of that Cohen magic with rare film clips, television performances, concerts, and promos. Among the songs that will be included in this program will be “Suzanne,” “So Long Marianne / Hey, That’s No Way to Say Goodbye,” "Bird on the Wire,” “The Partisan,” "The Stranger Song," the frequently covered “Hallelujah,” and many more. His lyrics encapsulate the human condition, reflecting upon his attitudes about events in his own life while describing emotions and responses with which his audiences can identify. This Leonard Cohen showcase is an opportunity to enjoy his performances of the songs you know well and a chance to hear one or two songs that might be less familiar to you.
In English | 110 minutes

ABOUT BILL SHELLEY: Bill Shelley has been filming since the 1970s when he recorded bands Twisted Sister and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, then later directed music videos for Public Enemy (PE). Shelley Archives was started in 1985 and today the company has over 100,000 reels of original 35mm and 16mm films in its archives and over 10,000 hours of rare concerts, television shows, promos, interviews, out-takes and home movies. Preservation of films and music clips is the main focus of the organization.

- See more at: http://www.avontheatre.org/special_events.html#dec19

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”