Stony Brook 1970

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
holydove

Stony Brook 1970

Post by holydove »

I am wondering if anyone in the Forum was at Leonard's performance at SUNY Stony Brook, in 1970 (it could have been 1972, but I think it was 1970, those years are a bit blurred. . .). That was my first LC concert, and I have been wondering if anyone else who was there that night, is HERE now. . . (I doubt that there are any recordings of that concert, but if so, please don't be shy!)
brightnow

Re: Stony Brook 1970

Post by brightnow »

Hi holydove,

There is an account of the concert you mention (and it seems that you remember the year correctly) at leonardcohenlive.com, the setlist was lost and there are no known recordings. Take a look: *** leonardcohenlive.com no longer available *** http://www.leonardcohenlive.com/concert ... -xx-xx.htm

Avi
Last edited by brightnow on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
holydove

Post by holydove »

Brightnow, thank you so much for that link. It was strange reading, because I really don't remember Leonard being uninterested, or unhappy with the audience, or the crowd being "impatient with his antics". But it was so long ago, and I was so young (17 yrs. old), and I was in an "interesting" state of mind myself. I remember him seeming more stoned than tired (actually, very stoned, it seemed), and everyone looked pretty haggard in those days, so that wouldn't have been remarkable.

I do remember him wearing black pants & turtleneck, and I remember it being a great concert, (or maybe I only remember the great part), but I was already basically in a state of adulation, as they say - more focused on Leonard, and kind of oblivious to the audience.

Anyway, it's nice to know there is some kind of record of it. Thank you again for your kind response. . .
CaptPeace

Post by CaptPeace »

Yep I was there! I believe it was even a free concert... the one memorable thing I remember LC doing was he had a stool (?) set up near the mike with a glass and a bottle of wine and before he started performing he poured some wine out on the stage floor saying, For those who cannot be with us tonight... which was very meaningful since Jimi and Janis had just died.. after the 1st set my buddy and I raced over to Suffolk Community to catch the 2nd set of Clapton.. what a contrast! 8)
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

CaptPeace wrote:Yep I was there! I believe it was even a free concert... the one memorable thing I remember LC doing was he had a stool (?) set up near the mike with a glass and a bottle of wine and before he started performing he poured some wine out on the stage floor saying, For those who cannot be with us tonight... which was very meaningful since Jimi and Janis had just died.. after the 1st set my buddy and I raced over to Suffolk Community to catch the 2nd set of Clapton.. what a contrast! 8)
Thanks for sharing that memory, and welcome to the forum!
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
holydove

Post by holydove »

Hi CaptPeace! Thank you for sharing your memory! Wow, I wish I would have remembered that, but I have no recollection of Leonard pouring wine on the stage floor! I also don't remember it being a free concert. I thought I remembered my boyfriend getting tickets for it, but I guess they could have been free tickets, even if we needed them to reserve seats.

But I have a very vivid memory of this: Throughout the concert, between songs, Leonard kept saying "There is a humming in the room. . .I hear a humming. . ." (But I don't remember whether I or anyone else heard it too!) Do you remember that?

And when I thought about it more, I do remember that it was not the greatest audience, in terms of expressing enthusiasm - too sedate! So I can understand why Leonard wouldn't have been very happy with us.

That was my first Leonard Cohen concert, & I've often wondered if anyone else from that audience became as mesmerized & addicted as I did! I almost never visit this thread (I don't know why, I really should visit it more often, as I am very interested in anything about Leonard's live performances!), but today I made one of my rare visits, & there was your post - interesting "coincidence"! I've tried to find my boyfriend from that era, because I'd love to know if his adoration endured through the years, but I haven't been able to find him.

BTW, were you a student at Stony Brook at that time, or did you just come for the concert?
seferabahir

Post by seferabahir »

I attended the 1970 Stony Brook concert in the University Gym. It was at the beginning of December. It was my freshman year and I was only 16 years old at the time. The concert was phenomenal. The only strange moment was when Leonard came on stage and gave a mock Nazi salute to the consternation of many in the audience. People were definitely not apathetic, only mellow but certainly disoriented by this entrance gesture and were unsure about his motivation. He could definitely be spirited and feisty during that time of his relative youth. It was the end of the counter-culture, but Leonard was always in his own groove. He was not to have his Zen awakening for many years. He was always a bit sardonic and his voice was much stronger and deeper than during his recent London tour. His songs and poetry are gorgeous and he will always be one of a kind, although the mock politeness he displayed in London was quite precious and funny! Hope to hear from more of you who were there. Next to the two-show Dead Halloween concert when they encored with Viola Lee Blues, Leonard's show was the highlight of that very special year.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I'm Your Live Man is back online, and 1970 shows are listed at http://cohenlive.com/concerts/1970.htm and this show (with NO date nor setlist) at http://cohenlive.com/concerts/setlists/ ... -xx-xx.htm
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

I remeber the concert well. It was also my freshman year and I had just turned 17. I worked on the concert for work/study and sold tickets in the Student Union. I remember he was dressed all in black and gave the salute. I was disturbed. I also remember the after-party. We were standing around him in a circle and nobody said anything. So, I broke the ice, shook his hand and started up the conversation. I felt like everyone was waiting for him to levitate. I still remember the feelings that experience evoked. Now it is over 42 years later. He is on tour now and will be in Miami, where I live on March 20th. Amazing.

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”