Leeds 19th May 1970

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
denispiggott

Leeds 19th May 1970

Post by denispiggott »

As a newbie, I hope this is the right place to place these clips.

I was a student at Leeds University in 1970 and was privileged to see Leonard Cohen's concert on the 19th May. There are some great photos on the university web site at http://www.alumni.leeds.ac.uk/NetCommun ... &srcid=509

I have also a copy of the Daily Telegraph review which was published a few days later - http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php? ... zi&thumb=4 Sorry about the quality of the scan - it's a pretty old bit of paper but it is readable.

Last, but not least ( and I hope I'm not going to upset any copyright holders), I have an audience recording of the concert - the quality is ok given it was recorded on an early Phillips cassette recorder. It's in two parts and is the complete concert other than the final song (Please don't pass me by) where the tape ran out!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?lmnzybnmymq

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?53dtmmyqjzj

This is vintage Leonard Cohen and I hope you all enjoy it.

Denis
sirius

Re: Leeds 19th May 1970

Post by sirius »

Hi Denis

This is very magical. I knew of this concert and nearly went myself from Manchester. (Although I did go later that year in 1970 to see Leonard at the Isle of Wight). Thanks ever so much for posting this. I am listening to the concert right now, much better quality than I expected. He reads some poetry too... wonderful. The photos are so evocative.

Vintage Leonard Cohen indeed.

Thanks again for posting this.

Peter

(Sirius)
We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

What a way to make your first post! Thank you very much!
More info here:
http://www.leonardcohenlive.com/concert ... -05-19.htm

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
rvandewiel

Post by rvandewiel »

Hi Dennis,

What a way to make an entrance!. I am very grateful for your contribution. I would like to pay my dues. Is there any concert you are looking for? Just let me know and I will send you a copy :D
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Denis,

Surprisingly good audio! Superb photos! Priceless archive! Thank you so very, very much! Glad to have you here.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

WOW! I have just finished listening to the complete concert. It is indeed a priceless gem!

Maarten, your link shows 'no known recording'. Since we now have Denis' recording is there some way to preserve this as an archive in the files. This is a 'lost' treasure.

Kindest regards,
Mary

Denis, again thank you. This was a totally unexpected joy to listen to. It gives you a feel for what LC way doing in the 70s. Maybe that's why after reading John E's post on the Isle of Wight I can't wait to get my hands on the DVD.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
denispiggott

Post by denispiggott »

I'm so glad you are all enjoying this magnificent concert.

It was a memorable night - I went with 2 friends and we were standing (no seats!) on the left facing the stage about 25m from the front so the view and the sound was excellent. The concert took place in the Leeds Student Union refectory - venue earlier in the year for the Who, and next year for the Rolling Stones.

I recall it being very hot, but with an incredible atmosphere. Although we were all standing, we weren't squashed. It was great to hear the poetry as well as the music. In my opinion the outstanding moment was when Leonard read his poem "Travel" while the band started to play the introduction to " Hey that's no way to say goodbye". Also memorable was his rendering of "The Partisan" which he dedicated to the Ohio students who had been killed a few days before.

Denis
sirius

Post by sirius »

The troubadour, Leonard Cohen -- Leeds University 16 May 1970

39 years ago!!

I was working at the Manchester Evening News newspaper at the time of this concert and I remember one of the reporters talking about it, he was saying the reason Leonard Cohen was playing in Leeds was because he had relatives there. I always wondered if this was true. Does anyone Know? It was curious that this was his only date outside London.

Peter
Attachments
We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky
Phantom Stranger

Post by Phantom Stranger »

Thank you. It is fabulous that at least some remnant of this concert will be heard now. Is it possible you could put up FLAC files for maximum fidelity?
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Thank you for uploading this Denis. I was too young to be allowed in for this one but we did go to a lot of gigs at Leeds Uni a few years later as we had friends there, so I really enjoyed the pics on the university website.

Wendy
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

Wow! This is great. I love bootlegs, a little window on the past :)
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
mwaldman

Post by mwaldman »

Thanks, Denis. Just finished listening to the concert. A real gem.

Mike
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
~ G.K. Chesterton
Inna

Post by Inna »

Thank you so much Denis for this contribution. I am listening to it now and looking at the pictures. It is such a unique gift to us. Thank you.
"climb on your tears and be silent, like the rose on its ladder of thorn."
Paris 07/07/09, Tel-Aviv 24/09/09, Salzburg 27/07/10
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Denis, what can I say....
Live material with monochrome backdrop makes for good old fashioned Cohen presence. Thank you.

It's a bit like the BBC Television play that Bob Dylan appeared in many, many years ago. Someone had saved it in a box, in a cupboard, in a room, in a cellar....I think you get the picture ;-) and we all get to go back in History. Wonderful stuff.
You can't beat Primary Sources. 8)
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
paddieu

Post by paddieu »

well done !

i have a leeds question tho....

my girlfriend back in the day said she saw him in leeds, and he arrived late
due to a hold up and most of the audience had gone home, but he stayed
and played for those who were still there - and it was supposedely
especially magical

i wud hav said her experience was around 1972/3 but maybe it was
this one ?

can anyone enlighten me ?