The Partisan (Reykjavik, 1988)

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
merton

The Partisan (Reykjavik, 1988)

Post by merton »

Hi,

For me this rendition of The Partisan is one of the best I've heard. Real intensity, meaning and connection. The band it seems to me really connect.
This video disappeared from youtube for a long time but its great to see it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZyJK-KdzI8

Roll on the summer.

Merton
MaryB

Re: The Partisan (Reykjavik, 1988)

Post by MaryB »

Merton,

The Julie/Perla combination IMHO is always magical and extremely mesmerizing. Thank you for the link!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Mary B

Must agree with you there. A brilliant performance of one of his best songs and Perla/Julie add so much. Pity they are missing out on the current tour.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

You mean 1988 version generally or the Reykyavik rendition in particular?

I also prefer the 1988 version, but other renditions from that tour are even better, in Austin City or this one from San Sebastian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezCqzt3vAXw
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Tom,

Just watch the San Sebastian video. It was a bit distracting as the sychronization is off. Even so, I still prefer the Reykjavik rendition. Julie and Perla worship at the feet of Cohen. They feel and emote every word as well as LC. The chemistry is always volatile. They just get it!

That said, as good as John is, Javier has that same chemistry with LC that Julie and Perla always had. He is a joy to listen to and watch.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
merton

Post by merton »

Hi,

Revisiting this song and thread. I notice from Reykjavik Leonard sings "then the Germans came". Is this unusual?

"An old woman gave us shelter,
kept us hidden in the garret,
then the soldiers came;
she died without a whisper"

All the best,
Merton
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi Merton,

As you know Leonard's lines are always a work in progress. He sang it a similar way at Frankfurt 06/05/70 and gives an explanation of what he means -

"This is a song called "The Partisan". And you know, when I speak of what it says in the song "The Germans poured across the border...then the Germans came... “I don't really mean the Germans, you know. And when I say in the song "I took my gun and vanished", I don't really mean that I took my gun and vanished. Nothing that I say in the song do I really mean. But there must be something true about it, and I try to locate that each time. I'd like to dedicate this song to the memories of the four students....(*)"

*The four students from the Kent State University (Ohio,USA) killed by the Police on 4th May 1970.

.....and just a little bit more info re different verses of The Partisan.
At Dublin 18/03/72 he sang this modified verse; which is in fact a translation of the original verse of d'Astier de la Vigerie "Effacez mon passage".

I've changed my name so often
Lost my wife and my children
Comrades you who know
You erase all traces of my passage

Hope that helps.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
merton

Post by merton »

Hi B4real,

It certainly does and many thanks. Where, pray tell, did you source this?

All the best,
Merton
B4real

Post by B4real »

Glad to help merton,

I got it from a site some years ago which is now defunct but has it been resurrected with a different outlook.
The above words I have written are exactly correct as Leonard has spoken them and differ slightly from those at the site.

http://www.leonardcohen-prologues.com/

You will find it very interesting reading. 8)

I'mgladyoulikejb!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
merton

Post by merton »

B4real,

Thanks once more.

All the best,
Merton

yousawit?
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

merton wrote:Hi,

Revisiting this song and thread. I notice from Reykjavik Leonard sings "then the Germans came". Is this unusual?
No, it is not unusual - this is not Leonard's song, but the French song composed by Anna Marly with (French) lyrics by Emmanuel d'Astier de la Vigerie.

The original French lines, which Leonard also sings as chorus, go:
Les Allemands étaient chez moi,
ils m'ont dit "Résigne toi"
mais je n'ai pas pu;
j'ai repris mon arme.
So, the English translation by Hy Zaret, which was used by Leonard, has "soldiers" instead of "Germans"... But in many shows over the years, even in Germany, Cohen was singing the corrected line "then the Germans came".

I guess that Hy Zaret was trying to make song more universal, as the French lines (and Leonard) say: "Et j'ai la France entière" (I have whole of France; the whole France is with me) not "and some of them [i.e. friends] are with me".

More at the link: http://www.leonardcohensite.com/partisaneng.htm
merton

Post by merton »

HI Tom,

Once again, thanks for your help.

All the best,
Merton

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”