Belle Vue, Manchester, March 20th, 1972

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
the partizan

Belle Vue, Manchester, March 20th, 1972

Post by the partizan »

My first LC concert (my second was last Saturday at Birmingham NEC!). In fact my first ever concert for anything.

Apart from the amazing songs for a 17 year old me, was the unshaven Leonard who, during the interval got himself a shave, saying, on his return, "I thought I'd better get myself a shave as my mother wouldn't have liked to see me like that"!

Birmingham was wonderful - even after all those years with all those songs in my head, so many times...

Regards

Martin
Liamberney

Re: Belle Vue, Manchester, March 20th, 1972

Post by Liamberney »

Martin
Are you sure it was '72? I had it down for the '70 tour( I could be wrong on this). It was also my first ever live gig. The majority of the audience was to the side/behind the stage (me included)and I think this threw him. I don't recall the shaving quip. However, I have a vivid memory of his encore: a chorus of ' it wasn't very good, there's no reason why you should, remember me; and spoken verses that recalled various situations in which he had fallen short of his own high standards. The only verse I can vaguely remember recounted an amorous encounter with a lady that failed to fulfill its promise.
If it was '72, this means I have missed two of his tours!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Manchester 17th June, Edinburgh, London RAH 18th, Manchester MEN
pennybee

Post by pennybee »

I remember this gig but not the date. I wrote reviews for Melody Maker based in Manchester. I was in the bandstand with the rest of the press. One journo kown as Swervin Mervyn was very drunk and in danger of lurching off the bandstand into the audience scattering plastic flowers as he went.

The way I remember LC was late coming on. Shambled off after a couple of numbers - said he was going to get a shave..

Poser from I think the Telegraph sitting behind me said 'He hasn't got a mandate from the audience...' what a wally

But dont think the performance was that brilliant. Cant find any record of the review but Melody Maker are supposed to be compiling an archive

Peny
the partizan

Post by the partizan »

Just reckon it was that date because I found it at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/72manchester.html. Who knows how good or bad it was - I thought it was wonderful; memorable and the girl I was with was too...

Martin
Liamberney

Post by Liamberney »

It was '72, and of course there is a clip of this gig in Bird on the wire'.
johnboy77

Post by johnboy77 »

I have the ticket stub.

Monday March 20 - no year specified ... but it would have to be 1972.

Ticket price - 75p.!!!
Liamberney

Post by Liamberney »

Thanks johnboy, and welcome to the forum. That's that confirmed then. Great to Have the ticket stub. Is that just good fortune, or do you collect such things.
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

johnboy77 wrote: Monday March 20 - no year specified ... but it would have to be 1972.
Indeed it would have to be 1972, as both the LC Files & Jim Devlin's records (from 'Every Style of Passion') indicate that the 1970 concerts in England were in May and the 1972 Manchester concert was on March 20th. Besides, March 20th doesn't fall on a Monday in 1970, only in 1972 (followed by 1978). ;-)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

It was 1972 for sure, and this is the setlist (more accurate than the one from LCFiles):
http://cohenlive.com/concerts/setlists/ ... -03-20.htm

That's a great story, Martin, thanks for sharing a bit of your experience with us.

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”