Leonard in Dublin

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
George.Wright

Re: Leonard in Dublin

Post by George.Wright »

I was at the first concert on Friday night and it was a magikal experience. The weather was beautiful and the crowd were well behaved and intense. The highlight of the evening was Leonard reciting, a few verses of If it be your will and the beautiful Webb sisters like angels, with Hattie on the harp, finishing Leonard's prayer of silence. I was visibly moved by this part of the concert and have been glad to at least relive some of the magick on U Tube.

I would hope that at some stage of this world tour, leonard gives the go ahead of a live DVD of his remarkable concerts. I think this would sell rather well. He is a great achiever, getting back on the road again when most people thought it would never happen. I toff my hat to the man for his inspiration and guidance through his works of songs, poems and books. To many, he is a spiritual guru.

Georges.
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
jammymulligan

Post by jammymulligan »

The affection towards the old guy was genuine. It didn't hurt to know that we were contributing to his new retirement fund after the last one got misappropriated by his ex-manager while Cohen was distracted by becoming a Buddhist monk. (Question: What's the sound of one hand clapping? Answer: A rock manager with her other hand in the till.) On the contrary, it felt like a good cause.

The standing ovation at the end was for a whole career as well as for the concert. It was nice to mean it for a change.

© 2008 The Irish Times
thought I'd share this with you....
comet

Post by comet »

Leonard Cohen in Concert National (Boxing ) Stadium. South Circular Road. Dublin

2nd March 1985. I have recovered these photos from my 35mm negatives.

I don't know where to post photos here on this forum, so you can see them on the Hayley Westenra International forum

http://hwi.proboards.com/thread/1516/le ... hen?page=4

Scroll down the page when you get there.

Can anyone tell me who the other players were ?

Woman on keyboard looks a bit like Anjani but I'm not sure.

Two other lads on guitars ? ? any names Please

Just a teaser to test if I am doing the right thing, Mods you may remove the links if pictures should not be posted on the forum

That's another guitarist behind Leonard with the word TELEVISION beside him.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi Comet,
Firstly, thank you for retrieving and showing us your photos - I don't think the moderators will mind. In fact, Jarkko is always looking for photos from any of the tours. See here: https://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/touring.html
Contributions to these pages are appreciated; if you have great shots let jarkko know!
And secondly, courtesy of Allan Showalter and Mitch Watkins respectively, these two photos from the 1985 Various Positions tour and info below should answer your questions -

L to R: Leonard Cohen, John Crowder, Richard Crooks, Mitch Watkins, Ron Getman and Anjani Thomas

L to R: Leonard Cohen, Richard Crooks, John Crowder, Mitch Watkins, Ron Getman and Anjani Thomas

1985 tour musicians:
LC – guitar, vocals
Anjani Thomas – keyboard, vocals
Mitch Watkins – guitar, keyboard, vocals
Ron Getman – guitar, pedal steel, vocals
John Crowder – bass, vocals
Richard Crooks – drums
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
comet

Post by comet »

Thanks for the names B4Real.

When I have some time I will post the rest of the photos here. There are only about 12 photos in total.

I am having a little difficulty navigating the threads on this forum, I posted the other day and as soon as I clicked submit it all seemed to dissapear, I thought it went out through one of the cracks that let the light in.

I am used to forums that have a "Recent Posts" format.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

comet wrote:...I am having a little difficulty navigating the threads on this forum, I posted the other day and as soon as I clicked submit it all seemed to disappear...

I am used to forums that have a "Recent Posts" format.
Hi! First, I really enjoyed your photos -- thank you for sharing them with us!

Second -- at the top left of the forum page (under Leonard's signature) are three tabs: one is three little horizontal lines, then there is "Forums", then "Members". If you click on the one with the three lines (sometimes called a "hamburger menu"), you will get a drop-down box that includes "Active Topics", and if you're signed in, "New Posts", "Your Posts", and a variety of other quick links to help navigate and find the latest activities.

I have found, with regards to disappearing posts after hitting "submit", that if they really are gone, sometimes a forum will "time out", and you may lose what you wrote. An easy way to avoid that is to copy all (highlight it with your cursor, then "control c") before hitting submit so that it is on your computer's memory, then if you lose it, you can just paste it back in ("control y").

Cheers!
comet

Post by comet »

Thanks Lisa,
I would never have dreamed of clicking on the three bars or burger menu.

I had programmes from Canada from a company called cadlink and they loved using words like "Fatal Error" in their screen warning messages when you clicked on something you shouldn't have.
I think they also had a Cohenesque sense of humour.

I used to write posts in Notepad and then transfer the text, partly because the mods on some other forums had a habit of editing posts and the post would then be quoted by someone else and stuff would hit the fan.

anyway, glad you folks are enjoying the photos, download them to your own computers for your own personal use if you like, I never assume services like Photobucket are "Forever"
comet

Post by comet »

In the order the photos were taken 2nd March 1985 National Stadium Dublin.

In case you were wondering where 1 to 6 were the concert photos just happen to start at 7 on the roll of film

Photo 07

Photo 08

Photo 09

Photo 10

Photo 11

Photo 12

Last edited by comet on Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Thank you for sharing these photos with us. I really appreciate seeing them. I was only 6 when this concert was on. I've always said I was born a few decades too late!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
comet

Post by comet »

National Stadium Dublin 2nd March 1985 continued

Photo 13

Photo 14

Photo 15Usless Blurr Photo 16 Anjani Thomas on keyboard

Photo 17

Photo 18

Photo 19

comet

Post by comet »

National Stadium Dublin 2nd March 1985

Photo 20

Photo 21

Photo 22

That's all folks.
comet

Post by comet »

musicmania wrote:Thank you for sharing these photos with us. I really appreciate seeing them. I was only 6 when this concert was on. I've always said I was born a few decades too late!
I got that feeling about Edith Piaf when I was in my teens.

Leonard must be laughing somewhere,
He has been featured in The Irish Catholic of November 17th 2016 on page 3 and the full page 12.
he did of course have an Irish nanny and write Song for Bernadette and many other things with Catholic connections.

as i was scanning these photos and uploading them it would hit me again and again, He's gone..
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

comet wrote:...I had programmes from Canada from a company called cadlink and they loved using words like "Fatal Error" in their screen warning messages when you clicked on something you shouldn't have.
I think they also had a Cohenesque sense of humour...
Indeed! I remember those warnings, and I always got a kick out of them! :D
comet wrote:...as i was scanning these photos and uploading them it would hit me again and again, He's gone..
Yes, I've been feeling that, too. :cry:

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”