CONCERT REPORT: Lisbon, Portugal, October 7, 2012

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Lisbon, Portugal, October 7, 2012

Post by sturgess66 »

It is almost 10:00 p.m. and the last show of the 2012 European Tour should now be well underway.

The venue is Pavilhao Atlantico, an indoor arena built in 1998 for Expo 98
It looks like the capacity is 20,000

Atlantic Pavillion - another spaceship!

Keep Calm
to the Last Song Lisboã

From "Void Creations" on Facebook
Waiting for Leonard Cohen...

https://www.facebook.com/VoidCreations
Last edited by sturgess66 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Lisbon, Portugal, October 7, 2012

Post by sturgess66 »

From DN Arts
http://www.dn.pt/inicio/artes/interior. ... um=twitter
At age 78, Leonard Cohen Deceives Time Well
by Nuno Galopim

Leonard Cohen fool knows the time well. You know the trick 78 years, met in the month of September, not only by the way came on stage to run or almost danced during the first few songs like, the first time I went to Atlantic Pavilion almost gave suggest that this could not be the last time.

He spoke even a possible future. But at the same time stressed that tonight would give gifts to all he had to show them.

The night, as has happened in other concerts Tour of Old Ideas began to the sound of "Dance Me to the End of Love", a classic mid-80s who at the time was tremendous success in Portugal.

The Pavilion showed up well filled, but not exhausted. And so began the final concert of the European leg of the tour
http://www.dn.pt/inicio/artes/interior. ... um=twitter

UPDATED/Expanded article -
Were almost four hours of concert, a reunion with the audience rendered and, after three encores, a feast with the Pavilhão Atlântico transformed into a large ballroom.

To the sound of Closing Time, already in a second (and much applauded encore), a man in suit and hat, and maybe not too far removed from that which, on stage, also hats and apparel, did the honors of the night, danced to the back of the room. At his side, many had been standing, surprised by Cohen's return to the stage when I walked towards the exit. In fact, the musician would return to "fool" the audience once again. Returned to a third encore. And this time it was even a night of three hours and 50 minutes of music (with intermission included) to the sound of, first, I Tried To Leave You and then Save The Last Dance For Me, a classic of 1960 of The Drifters. And at that moment, the audience of the Pavilhão Atlântico became an unexpected Ballroom.

Leonard Cohen knows, in fact, cheat well. Knows how to fool the 78 years, completed last September, not only by how, shortly after 9 p.m., came on stage to run or almost danced during the first songs as, for the first time addressed the Pavilhão Atlântico almost gave suggest that this might not be the last time. Cohen spoke even in a possible future. But at the same time stressed that tonight was going to give to present everything that had to show them. And so it was. So much so that, when after a breakfast last strip head hat to greet the musicians and thank the applause, it was with the same vitality, that step that is half dance, half walking, who came out of the stage. Before a nearly full (but not exhausted), the European stage of Old Ideas Tou could not have ended better.

Overnight, as has happened in other concerts of Old Ideas Tour started at the sound of Dance Me to the End of Love ", a classic of the mid 80 's that was tremendous success in Portugal and followed his path, between Classics (many of them already visited in his recent passages by stages, other other recovered memories of their discography) and the songs of the new Old Ideas, album released earlier this year which the room was audible applause, especially with the opening theme of Going Home or the poignant Darkness, with the blues.

Given the band that followed, it was only natural that not straying from the readings and arrangements that showed us in the extensive tour that visited us three times between 2008 and 2010. His deep voice wear but all those songs from a sense that the rescues of the past and making this thing. Wise was also craving sharing mode, sometimes on soils which have integrated or prior songs (as in "Who By Fire, with a guitar that took us to other Sunny latitudes) or two other moments of vocal excellence, with Coming Back To You delivered to the Webb Sisters and Alexandra's Leaving in expressive and powerful interpretation of Sharon Robinson.

There was the "inevitable" Bird on a Wire, Sisters of Mercy, Suzanne, I'm Your Man, The Future, Waiting For a Miracle, Everybody Knows, Tower of Song or I'm Your man. heard the beautiful The Guests and the powerful The Partisan. And after the goodbyes, the succession of encores opened in celebration with So Long Marianne and a creased well First We Take Manhattan.
Last edited by sturgess66 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Lol, that English....
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

A wonderful city and place to be holding the last concert of his tour. Shall we say "current" tour and lets hope he is back again around Europe and perhaps even away down here in New Zealand! :D
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

tomsakic wrote:Lol, that English....
It never gets any better - I've given up trying to edit - I just pass it on - :lol:

From Blitz -
There is a slide show of 18 pictures from Lisbon - here - at the link -
http://blitz.sapo.pt/leonard-cohen-ao-v ... tos=f83799

Leonard Cohen Live at the Atlantic Pavillion in Lisbon [photos]
Leonard Cohen returned to Portugal to fourth concert since 2008. In the third spell at the Atlantic Pavilion, the Canadian legend 78 years was shown to be in excellent shape.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

‏@Ltigerman
Lots of happy people. Leonard Cohen, Lisboa. http://instagr.am/p/Qf-PlgIKiO/
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From DN Artes -
http://www.dn.pt/inicio/artes/interior. ... ca&page=-1
Leonard Cohen: The Man Who Tricked The Time

by Nuno Galopim Ontem

Photo © John Girão / Global Images

It took nearly four hours of concert, a reunion with audience and surrendered after three encores, an end to party with the Atlantic Pavilion transformed into a grand ballroom.

At the sound of Closing Time, now in a second (and much applauded encore), a man of fact and hat, old and perhaps not far removed from the one who, on stage, and also the fact hat, did the honors of the night, dancing the back of the room. Beside, many were left standing, surprised by the return of Cohen on stage when he walked to the exit. In fact, the musician would return to "trick" the audience once again. Still returned for a third encore. And this time it ended a night of three hours and 50 minutes of music (with intermission included) to the tune of, first, I Tried To Leave You, then Save The Last Dance For Me, a classic from 1960 by The Drifters. And at that moment, the audience's Atlantic Pavilion turned into a ballroom unexpected.

Leonard Cohen know in fact deceive the time well. You know the trick 78 years, met in the month of September, not only by the way, a little after nine in the evening, came on stage to run or almost danced during the first few songs like, the first time I went to Atlantic Pavilion almost has suggested that this might not be the last time. Cohen said even a possible future. But at the same time stressed that tonight would give gifts to all he had to show them. And so it was. So much so that when we then take one in the morning for the last time the hat from his head to greet and thank the musicians applause, was with the same vitality that, while that is half dance, half walking, they came out of turn stage. Given a pavilion almost full (but not exhausted), the European leg of Old Ideas Tou could not have ended better.

The night, as has happened in other concerts Tour of Old Ideas began to the sound of Dance Me to the End of Love, a classic mid-80s who at the time was tremendous success in Portugal.E went his way, from classics ( many of them have ever visited in their recent passages through the stage, others recovered from other memories of his discography) and the songs of the new Old Ideas album released earlier this year which upheld the room with applause sound, especially the opening theme Going Home or poignant Darkness, seasoned with the blues.

Given the band that accompanied it was natural that does not depart from the readings and arrangements that showed us the extensive tour we visited three times between 2008 and 2010. His deep voice still wears all those songs a sense that redeems the past and this thing does. Wise was also the modality of sharing protagonisms, now in soils that have integrated or prior songs (as in Who By Fire, with a guitar that led us to other latitudes sunny) or two other moments of vocal excellence with Coming Back To You delivered the Webb Sisters and Alexandra's Leaving on expressive and powerful interpretation of Sharon Robinson.

Not lacked the "inevitable" Bird on a Wire, Sisters of Mercy, Suzanne, I'm Your Man, The Future, Waiting For a Miracle, Everybody Knows, Tower of Song or I'm Your Man. Were heard the beautiful The The Partisan Guests and powerful. And after the goodbyes, the succession of encores opened in party with So Long Marianne and a well creased First We Take Manhattan.

More than once Leonard Cohen lifted his hat to thank the superb musicians accompanying him (and help maintain the level of excellence of their rare live performances). Also greeted the audience, even knees. And, with grace, began the second part of the concert by thanking the gifts that they have not gone home ...

Such delivery and a list of so many songs that make the soul sound of a work thing farewell. Were already well on the two hundred and first, but after all, and when no one was waiting, he returned. The audience, which applauded many times and noise, stressing even the moments when the lyrics of Everybody Knows tells us "I was born with the gift of a golden voice" (ie, "born with the gift of a golden voice ") or, Hallelujah, sings" I did not come to fool you "(I did not come to fool you), made ​​it clear that it is always desired presence in these parts. Was it really the last time?
Partial Article
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

Wonderful concert. Warm audience already creeping forward during Hallelujah. Superb coupling of The Guests and Night Comes On. I posted photos which should be visible even to non facebook friends https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 8b5555d91c

Hard to believe the European leg of the tour is over! Safe journeys home or wherever to all the UHTC.

Paul
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by Jaime Parodi Bardón - Thanks!

Who By Fire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HnEjXEGxLA

Video uploaded by amontanhamagica1 - Thanks!

Dance Me To The End Of Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6-IKXNxLoM

Bird On The Wire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypsk6EeTNRE

Everybody Knows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrVHaSKdCxI

Who By Fire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fElEIfTo5Iw

Hallelujah (partial)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fElEIfTo5Iw

The Partisan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsercssYtbA

Suzanne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwZbFqErADU

Going Home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0AbdpO3Ggc

Video uploaded by Jorge Filipe Ressurreição - Thanks!

Hallelujah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXhZXi8URQ0
Last edited by sturgess66 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by joaoamaroc - Thanks!

The Darkness (not up close - but there is audio)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GPssEDGsDc

Video uploaded by Antonello Recanatini - Thanks!

The Gypsy's Wife
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUwrD7M9FcM
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Article in Contonete -
http://cotonete.clix.pt/noticias/body.a ... %ADcias%29

There are 13 more pictures at the link -
08-10-2012

Leonard Cohen Large

Hard to believe that the concert seen nearly four hours tonight in the Atlantic has been a man of eighty years, curiously, been a long time (decades even) of his career away from the stage and had no part in live its greatest strength. Today, this friendly old man is a man relentless, able to play more than 30 songs in one night with an unflappable spirit and a strength that reminds our caricature Manuel João Vieira (we Ena Shovel Brothers in 2000 or Catita was playing while there were spectators in the room).

The Atlantic Pavilion virtually filled with a heterogeneous audience but all of it senior (30 to 70), and of many different nationalities, for a show that is actually a repetition of almost occurred in Algés (2008) and the Atlantic (in 2009 and in 2010), with the increase of over an hour and an injection of new songs from this year's album "Old Ideas." The historic alignment is almost a dream but it follows the same order as the previous shows. The training that accompanies it, nine musicians on stage is the same. The biggest difference is maybe seeing a Leonard Cohen a little less discursive

It all begins again with 'Dance Me to the End of Love', Leonard Cohen with the race going into step before crouching and singing women of banda - repetition of the same number. It follows 'The Future' and 'Bird on the Wire' with the right guitar solos in the style of Bob Metzger Eric Clapton (always within the limits of good taste). 'Everybody Knows' again put the old man in the hat fatinho and stir well before a large flamenco guitarrada to introduce 'Who By Fire'. So far, same script we had seen in Boksburg in 2008, which is finally changed with a new "Old Ideas', 'Darkness', the much-intervention by organ and harmonica (well more than the album). 'Sisters of Mercy' is the first trip to the bygone times more pure singer-songwriting Cohen. 'That's No Way To Say Goodbye' can not escape the smell of violin Dino Soldo. After two more songs from the new album of Cohen: 'Amen' and 'Come Healing', both with female choruses tuned again to make a difference. 'In My Secret Life' accuses less vivacity than in Boksburg, wear a format that was returning to the concert experience in other periods, even if subtly. Another of the recent 'Going Home' and 'Waiting for the Miracle' deserve the imposing look of big curtain behind. 'Anthem' is for the gentleman present its multinational banda before announcing the break.

In the second part, Cohen pulls more idealistic folk for the first half of his work: 'Suzanne' and 'The Guests' veteran singer to return the guitar, after a 'Tower of Song' at this time does not count the famous secret life. In 'The Gypsy's Wife, "the Canadian musician gave voice to manas folk Webb Sisters, before the wonderful bilingual Anglo-French' The Partisan '(one of his best songs ever), here tranfigurado logistics original canoe to the an aircraft carrier. The rapt 'Democracy' takes us back to the '90s. In the ballad "Coming Back to You" and "Alexandra Leaving", Cohen delivers the spotlight to their choirs: the Webb Sisters and Sharon Robinson powerful. The final batch - 'I'm Your Man', 'Hallelujah' and 'Take This Waltz' - finally raises the public chairs and just time with formalities. Justifiably, some public concentrated near the stage.

They would follow three encores. At first, you hear a alteradíssimo 'So Long, Marianne "and the rock chic of Gainsbourg' First We Take Manhattan 'that seve Cohen once again to take your hat off to his musicians one by one, before further flight out stage.

In the following encores, Cohen starts talking through the titles of the songs. In 'Closing Time', plus a threat of failure final farewell, before returning and communicate a mood 'I Tried to Leave You'. Seemed to lie but the version of the classic Drifters 'Save the Last Dance for Me', was really the end. And Cohen came out as: running as a kid.

Leonard Cohen can have the best show in the world is seen only once. Their generous commitment and quality of their training are above suspicion. But a concert is over more (nearly four hours) and automated routines already too have seen to be taken as authentic.

In the end, and now with the metro closed, chaos thousands of people looking for taxis and bus night service at Gare de Oriente and nearby shopping center Vasco da Gama. Something rarely seen and has a culprit: the trickster's Cohen.

Gonçalo Palma
Photos: Nuno Fontinha

Article written at dawn but, for technical reasons, just published in the late morning.
Juan Luis Corcobado

Post by Juan Luis Corcobado »

Juan Luis Corcobado Cartes
Pal. Deportes de Madrid 1993 | Passeio Marítimo de Algés Lisboa 2008 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2009 | Pal. Deportes de Madrid 2009 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2010 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2012 | The O2 Dublin 2013
corcobado[at]gmail.com
Henning

Post by Henning »

IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

Henning

That video could be better.
Focus isn't great.
Sound isn't great.
Into missing.

And yet this video really captures the magic!!! The voice, the playfulness, the humour, the charm, the energy, the fun on stage and the admiring audience are all there. And the smile ! A really really great video thank you very much for capturing and sharing !

Isn't there is something quite remarkable about this, the closing moments of the last concert of the European leg of the current tour . Look at the numbers. Leonard Cohen is now 78. This is the 31st concert in just 51 days. The 15th country in that time, and the 20th location. They have spent between 150 and 200 hours performing on stage. Not to mention soundchecks, travelling in a bus, airports, personal inconvenience, wear and tear, living with each other, living on the road etc. And despite all of that, and having just put in another 3-4 hour performance, they manage to end it smiling and full of energy and giving it "everything we can". Makes me tired and envious just thinking about it. What great people.
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
notevenasuit

Post by notevenasuit »

Fanforlife: You are so right. I agree completely to your comment.
Not for just 1 months, not for just 1 year but. ..
ALWAYS

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”