CONCERT REPORT: Barcelona, October 3, 2012

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Barcelona, October 3, 2012

Post by sturgess66 »

It's late afternoon in Barcelona - and I think we need a Concert Thread

The venue is Palau Sant Jordi - an indoor sporting arena
According to Wikipedia - the capacity for concerts is 24,000
Opened in 1990 and one of the main venues for 1992 Summer Olympics

Palau Sant Jordi
If it was possible to forget the thrust and fall of such a ceiling, the slapback reverb of the walls of this echo chamber arena can not be unheard.

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/328 ... sant-jordi

Keep Calm
Barcelona
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Barcelona, October 3, 2012

Post by sturgess66 »

Still waiting on around 2,000
people to make it to their seats.
Go for a 15 min push.

Right On Time
9:15 and the show goes on
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Thankfully…
The Barcelona crowd, exhilarated and joyous, thought the show was over at the break. Thankfully Barcelona native Javier Mas jumped on LC’s mic to present the patrons with the good news. Speaking of which, let’s go for the second portion of the show.

Famous Blue
In black and white

Encores

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/328 ... -and-white
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://es.noticias.yahoo.com/respetable ... um=twitter

The Public Respectable Barcelona Hat to Leonard Cohen
Reuters
Rosa Diaz

The Canadian singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen filled the Palau Sant Jordi in Barcelona ...

Barcelona, ​​October 3 (EFE). - If the public of Barcelona take hat, as Leonard Cohen takes him and his musicians, tonight I would have taken before the veteran Canadian musician, who has shown at the Palau Sant Jordi is in full art form.

The concert started on time Mediterranean, only fifteen minutes late, with the song "Dance Me To The End Of Love", the singer has performed kneeling before guitarist Javier Mas, an Aragonese based in Barcelona, ​​the key solvent band accompanying teacher.

Attentive to all, the singer has taken off his hat to introduce the members of his band and provided a first batch of songs riddled with legendary songs as "Bird On The Wire", "Everybody Knows" and "Sisters of Mercy".

The audience responded with applause turned into the first chords and respectful silence during the performance of the subjects.

The placid atmosphere has remained deep communion when veteran musician has started splashing repertoire with songs from their latest album "Old Ideas", a work that has come to light after the previous seven years and that is a good example the excellent creative moment of its author.

"It is a privilege to be in Barcelona. Not know if we will see again, but I promise you that today we will give everything we have," he said.

At 78 just turned, Cohen maintains his charm intact and that deep voice and cavernous, able to drag the public to the deepest parts of the human soul.

A whole winning voice to the accompaniment of the wonderful voices of Sharon Robinson and The Webb Sisters and six musical wrapping band members led by bassist Roscoe Beck, all dressed in suits, as Cohen himself.

In an elegant setting surrounded by long curtains, the equally elegant composer, singer, poet and writer has tested his fitness and untied over 30 topics in 3 hours.

His hunched figure danced, was crouching, kneeling is, has been playing guitar and has even taken a few notes on the keyboard in "Tower of Song".

But above has dug into the eternal themes in this tireless troubadour takes a lifetime delving: sex, love and religion.

Delivered His parishioners have been enjoying the slow pace and the teacher poems comfortably seated, as the organization has placed chairs, not only in the stands, where it is common, but also on the track.

The audience, mostly mature, thanked the detail and remained seated until, after an hour and half concert, the band has seen retired and has feared that the ritual had come abruptly to an end.

A member of the organization has been forced to take the microphone and clarify that the concert was in two parts and just ended the first.

The second half began with "Tower of Song", but heartfelt applause they have been brought "Suzanne", which has won melancholy with input Bublitchi Alexandru Moldovan violinist.

In this issue, the big screen is broken momentarily incident coincided with the spontaneous decision to keep these cameras and accompany their music with the movement of their lighters, in what has seemed a trip back in time the analog era.

Then Cohen has given a break to your vocal cords while Sharon Robinson and The Webb Sisters performed "Coming Back to You" and "Alexandra Leaving".

The stretch has had gems like "Hallelujah", "Take This Waltz", "So Long Marianne" and "Manhattan", and about 12,000 people present could not get out unless their seats with applause and thank this tireless troubadour follow in the gap.

Rosa Diaz
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Hopefully someone who was at the show will show up here soon with a concert report! :)

The Google translations aren't great - but here's another one.
Sounds like it was another wonderful show.

From ElPais.com
http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2012/10/04/ ... 50462.html
The Voice Paused A Wise And Grave

Leonard Cohen stops time in his first concert in Spain with a detailed and sober performance

Luis Hidalgo
Barcelona
4 OCT 2012 - 01:19 CET

Leonard Cohen, during his concert last night in Barcelona at the Palau Sant Jordi. / Marcel · li Saenz

Prisa, anxiety and noise. Speakers, smoke and restlessness. More haste, a message the phone spits and beyond tone is heard from another that demands the attention. Speed. More speed. Then a man dressed in gray, no tie, with a Borsalino hat topped his appearance. It was Leonard Cohen. Everything stopped, time seemed to stop and nothing feverish reminded society that lives off campus. He worked the miracle. Several thousand people were outstanding figure of a man almost octogenarian who whispered with a deep voice that seems born to utter only words of wisdom. It was 2125 and the Palau Sant Jordi Barcelona witnessed the sudden muteness. Leonard Cohen began the first of two concerts in Spain. The amazing thing will be repeated tomorrow in Madrid.

Feeling pause. The wise voice, began to reel Dance me to the end of love as its owner watched Javier Mas attacking the strings of his lute, acoustic heart of the group. Applause for that silence was not the only companion of the letter. Cohen, gaunt figure dry, closed his eyes and moved his body to the rhythmic beat of the song. Finished this, first ovation and the audience happy buzz that almost filled the room. Then Cohen spoke to say those things to Cohen says when talking between songs, a "a pleasure to sing for you in Catalonia" that gave a remarkable and outstanding geography in complicity. Not five minutes had passed and the audience was subjected to pause.

Thirteen pieces made ​​up the first part of his recital. The future was the second, and Cohen used it to kneel like a candle collection. On the carpet, seemed to pray while his litany, serious and warm, was fanned by favoring excellent sound understanding of words and transported transparency guitar riffs that opened Bird on the wire between public satisfaction. Again kneeling, ceremonious slowness in composition, Cohen sang. After he stood up, introduced the first musicians. The lute Everybody knows Mas opened and maintained its prominence in Who by fire, who sang Cohen clutching his acoustic guitar.

Before anyone questions remain rang the 'Suzanne' in the Palau San Jordi

And everything flowed slowly, placing, now here now there, keyboard input, such as in the bluessy The Darkness, part of his latest work, or an arrangement of violin to perfume Hey, that's no way to say goodbye, or female voices of the trio who opened Come healing and In My Secret Life. Cohen, like a good lover, giving space to the caress, caring detail.

And recalling the loves of old, minted by memory as Sisters of mercy or Waiting for the miracle. After this composition, Anthem, solo mandolin with Mas, closed the first half. Cohen, hat in hand, introduced a whole band, thanked the attention of respectable, educated hosted its roar and went into the clubhouse. Hour and a half had passed and the public, who had not been warned, thought the concert concluded. Javier Mas managed the mess and announced a 15 minute break.

The second half picked up the bunch of classics. Tower of song opened and before anyone questions remain rang Suzanne. Sighs and memory were twinned between mature audiences seemed to have waited long time. Even in the first row, oh old ways!, Several lighters were lit as a gesture of surrender and complacency. Interestingly, no doubt linked to the profile of attendance, barely perceived flashes of mobile screens, light pollution at every concert.

Last night the glow just went to a gray man who sang songs like The partisan, I'm your man, Hallelujah, Take this waltz, So Long Marianne and Famous Blue Raincoat. Bits of history in last night glided unhurriedly before collecting public attention of an audience for three hours forget the rush and took refuge under the hat he wore a calm voice and pushed for years serious of wisdom. Leonard Cohen.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Good video uploaded by javilontube - Thanks!

The Future
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPh6l8Vn_oo

The Darkness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60-qWK4zIRs
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

A video uploaded by cerestv -

Cohen cautiva a sus fans con un majestuoso recital en el Sant Jordi
(Cohen captivates his fans with a magnificent recital at Sant Jordi)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=163EEBJtAcM
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Some "up close" video from this show -

Uploaded by xinaproject - Thanks!

Everybody Knows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMddMGQbGgM

I'm Your Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obNpqnF08b8
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by sonoluminus2007 - Thanks!

Take This Waltz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeLT9EF-6jk

So Long Marianne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nQ4PHUbvfE

First We Take Manhattan (and another MONKEY - I *think* it waves at Javier? - and then is left at his feet :lol: )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3JiExe9itU

Video uploaded by annakindenstadten - Thanks!

Suzanne (partial)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY42MSbNLe0
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Thanks sturgess66 :D

Maybe he looked a little older that the last time, three years ago, but at the same time he looked more vital and healthy, as a sportsman living in a suit, fit, I'm very glad. I went to see from the distance, looking from a far prospect, and again I fell in love. I was right, since my early teens I have followed this man and I know it's not an uncontrolled obsession, he is part of myself.

I wasn't alone, again around me nearly 12,000 souls, deeply touched, in mystical union with Leonard Cohen. It always amazes me that so many people, so many beautiful people. All along the watchtower, spying the most ardent fans through binoculars.

Palau Sant Jordi, the same inadequate and cold place, too big, with huge gaps and the men in black trying to keep "the order". With Dance the atmosphere already was warmed. The show is known and effective evolved to the most high level, absolute great. Although we lost I Tried to Leave You. :(

This early morning I drove out of Barcelona, dawn over the sea and suddenly, on Catalunya Radio, which at this time only broadcasted news, bad news from mediocre politicians, Alexandra Leaving sounded, complete, very strange, it finished just with the 8 o'clock signals. For sure, we have one infiltrated there, one beautiful loser, be blessed. It's not a happy song, in my opinion speaks of a farewell of a loved one. I thought of my father and I remember Cohen, hat in hand listening his co writer Sharon Robinson. It's exactly the LC style and elegance, exquisite music, lifts me, fills me with spirituality, beauty and poetry, thanks.
sturgess66 wrote: Take This Waltz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeLT9EF-6jk
0:30 "Te quiero te quiero te quiero" LC - Take This Waltz LC - Barcelona 2012
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Thank you Foryoursmile,
Beautiful written, those are most of my thoughts too.
Still exhausted and too emotional to be able to write something coherent about the concert and the couple of days shared with such good a cherished friends.
Thank you Leonard and thank you friends.
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video made by efe.com (efeinternational) -

Leonard Cohen commands attention in Barcelona
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vSP8dAmf1A

Video posted by agenciaACN

El Leonard Cohen "més espiritual" torna a Barcelona amb noves cançons
(Dance Me To The End Of Love - complete )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nakhmYRtpI

http://www.efe.com/efe/noticias/america/cultura/-/2/9/0
The Leonard Cohen "more spiritual" returns to Barcelona with new songs
Barcelona (ACN.) - Leonard Cohen has made stops in Barcelona on Wednesday to deliver a long concert, at this time, still at the Palau Sant Jordi. The veteran musician, composer and poet of 78 years from the tour in August with the world tour'' Old Ideas', with a vast repertoire of over three hours and includes pieces from his latest album, 'Old Ideas' (2011). The age of the Canadian musician and accidents like that forced him to cancel his concert in FIB 2011 suggested that Cohen never return to the Catalan capital, after his last visit three years ago. But Cohen is not only fit to continue acting but composed albums like 'Old Ideas', which he described as "more spiritual."
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Well we left Sitges at 5.30pm to travel by train to Sants station (in Barca) and then caught the metro to Place D'Espanya. On exiting the metro the first people we met were two Spanish people, the man wearing a Cohen T shirt and a Barca FC jacket. We had a brief but very friendly chat outside the small Information kiosk where we asked them for somewhere nice to eat before the concert. They told us that perhaps the old bullring opposite us would be nice to eat in and thus we walked across a few roads to the Arenas de Barcelona, where we travelled up several escalators to the very top where the views were superb. From there we could see right across to Palau Sant Jordi. We had several tapis between the three of us, a bottle of Rosada and then we slowly made our way up to the gig by way of the escalators.

As usual the costs of drinks inside were extortionate but when placed alongside the cost of the ticket, what the hell! A little delay and then the concert started.

It didn't take long to realise that there was a good atmosphere amongst the crowd, this time not so much in the front rows but from somewhere behind, it was good to hear such a rapport from what I would reasonably guess was mainly coming from the Spanish element, who in 2009 did not seem to be quite so involved. It was quite amusing to see at the break that some of the Spanish crwod though it was the end and were crying encore and clapping for the band to come back but as someone has said, Javier came on to tell them they would be coming back to play soon!

Did I read elsewhere that someone thought the Webb sisters and Sharon seemed subdued? Well from where we sat, I would not have said that, I thought they were as deeply involved as ever and all sung their parts (solo, or as backing singers) with exceptional voices. The lads to the right were on form as usual, I don't know what else they are meant to do? Apart from Rafael, no one is really a "rock" looking type of person, they do their job professionally and are brilliant at what they do, sitting down is far more their style than leaping around à la Townshend. All in all another excellent gig, my Niece had never seen LC perform some of his songs, such as Night comes on. Like Vicomtesse she yearned for Joan of Arc but it was not to be.

Nice moment when someone threw on the toy monkey which fortunately LC spotted and he teased Javier with it during a part of First we take Manhattan but can someone explain why a few candles were lit during Suzanne, just being inquisitive really and wondered if it might have signified something?

As the band left the stage for the last time, an elderly Spaniard next to me shouted something to Javier, who turned and returned the greeting, nice moment in which the chap next to me beamed from ear to ear, as he told me he was also from Zaragoza where Javier was born.

Only one problem, the gig finished around 00.45 'ish and the night bus back to Sitges was at 0.55 and it is impossible to get out of the hall and back down from Montjuic in that time. So we had to wait until around 02.40 for the next night bus but there were several of us were waiting at the bus stop, so the time went by OK and we finally got back to the hotel at around 3.30am tired but happy.

Here's hoping for dates in London but at the RAH sometime in 2013.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by sukieneal - Thanks!

Hallelujah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4noqyuT1Sk
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Thanks to Bea for the excellent meetups
Another great concert , though at times seemed a little rushed .
Started 15 minutes latter than the scheduled start , and with a clear curfew (12.45am !) perhaps a few songs were lost .I'm sure h e intended to do joan of arc but there just wasn't enough time!

The Catalan crowd were enthusiastic.
I managed to capture most of the concert from the front row and will post over the weekend .
Here's a start

The Future
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVdGIdhi ... e=youtu.be
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”