CONCERT REPORTS: Paris September 28, 29, 30, 2012

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
Mabeanie1

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Paris September 28, 29, 30, 2012

Post by Mabeanie1 »

sturgess66 wrote:For Sept 29th show - link for set list - at Setlist.fm -

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/leonard-c ... dd53d.html
Why don't you link to the setlist reported on this Forum viewtopic.php?f=61&t=32523&start=15 by someone who was there? In this case it was me but it could have been any one of a number of us who attended the show. Far more reliable than setlist.fm IMHO.

Wendy
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
sturgess66 wrote:For Sept 29th show - link for set list - at Setlist.fm -

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/leonard-c ... dd53d.html
Why don't you link to the setlist reported on this Forum viewtopic.php?f=61&t=32523&start=15 by someone who was there? In this case it was me but it could have been any one of a number of us who attended the show. Far more reliable than setlist.fm IMHO.

Wendy
Wendy, I think that Linda was trying to post a link to a setlist right in the concert thread, which will make it much easier for people in the future to see the setlist for the Paris concerts. She used setlist.fm, and now you've also provided an internal link to the forum Setlist thread. It all enriches the forum and enriches the information that is available to people who are interested, which is wonderful.
Sue
Albert

Post by Albert »

Due to tragic circumstances for af forum member, I got a front row seat for the second Paris show and this was by far and away the best concert of this tour I have seen.
Almost as good as the 2008 -2010 shows.

Leonard was very focussed and fully concentrated and at the end of the show visibly enjoying himself.
The atmosphere on stage at the final moments of the concert was much more relaxed than e.g. in Berlin.
Standing ovation with a fully lighted Olympia during the concert,very impressive !!

My personal highlights were : Going home / Night comes on/ Different Sides

Regarding the ushers : They dont earn much money and they asked politely for a tip,which is not uncommon in France.
Who would leave an American diner without tipping the waitress !!

And second : I liked it a lot that the ushers were strict in the beginning.
Not everybody in the audience likes it,if cellphones were raised in the air or your neighbor fumbles with his video gear !
Can be very distracting.
Fair enough if you do this at the encores
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Official blog:

Show Time Pushed to 7:30

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/326 ... ed-to-7-30
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

sue7 wrote: enriches the forum and enriches the information that is available to people who are interested, which is wonderful.
Sue
How about the practice of posting mile high size photos which are an assault to one's eyes? Surely modest size photos would be just as enriching and wonderful, especially when the links go to official LC sites? ---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

I went to Friday's gig at the Olympia and came away once again blown away - every time there is something different to savour. The venue was extremely intimate and Leonard was clearly enjoying himself enormously. Thanks so much to Olive31 for posting the video of The Partisan, which was (not surprisingly) incredibly powerful in this context, a real highlight for me.

It was a real delight for me to meet Scott and Tina, Wendy, Barbara and Rick and many others at the post-gig meet up and I'd just like to say a huge thank you to Christelle for organising and for including me at short notice. I was genuinely touched. Till next time ...

Tom
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
sue7

Post by sue7 »

bridger15 wrote:
sue7 wrote: enriches the forum and enriches the information that is available to people who are interested, which is wonderful.
Sue
How about the practice of posting mile high size photos which are an assault to one's eyes? Surely modest size photos would be just as enriching and wonderful, especially when the links go to official LC sites? ---Arlene
Arlene, as far as I can see, the images are being posted in the same size (number of pixels) as they appear, for instance, in Joey's blog. I don't see the problem in that. I mean, one could argue that people should go to Photoshop or something and reduce the size of the photo, but that seems like an arduous requirement for posting on the forum.
Personally, I don't find them an assault in any way, and I love being able to come to the forum and find photos from other LC sites collected there. For me it's a gift, because I spend so much time online for my work that it's a challenge to keep connected to all the online LC-connected sites as well.
Sue
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

sue7 - I don't want to distract here any further as this the Paris concert thread. I will PM you later.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Nice video uploaded by Niglo45 - Thanks!

I am guessing that it is from Sept 28?

Who By Fire (and judging from Roscoe's solo at the end - it sounds/looks as if his bass was nicely healed by the Paris luthier! :) )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiWVEFuh654
SeventhSon

Post by SeventhSon »

I've been to three Gent concerts on this tour. They were great, even fantastic, but they were open air and it did not fit the mood of the songs, especially during the first half. Also, there were people constantely moving around, chatting and drinking during the whole show. What a contrast Saturday's Olympia show has been! The music hall was absolutely amazing, I had seats on the mezzanine, which were great. I was very close to the stage and I could observe the crowd on the sides and on the ground floor enjoying the show. The mood was so different, the people so respectful. It was a great pleasure, and definitely worth the higher price.

The show itself was fantastic. There were so many highlights for me. The beginning was amazing with a very powerful Dance me to the end of Love. When Leonard touched his heart and sang "Take a last look at this sacred heart, before it blows" during Everybody Knows I had goosebumps all over me. I know that he does this everytime but this time it really got me. In My Secret Life has become one of my favourite songs during the last months, so I was especially happy to hear it live. The way Leonard and Sharon sang it together was beautiful.
The Old Ideas songs were great as always, especially Come Healing which is so touching. I was surprised to hear Different Sides in the encore, it was perfectly placed at the end of the set. One of the best songs on Old Ideas and hearing it between Famous Blue Raincoat (I totally forgot that this song was in the setlist and was SO happy when he played it) and Closing Time made it sound like an old classic, a status the song really deserves.
It also was the first time, that I could appreciate the new live arrangement for Democrarcy. I still think that the version from the last tour (as it can be heard on Live in London) is better, but I was satisfied. I loved how Sharon and the Webb Sisters were stamping with their foots. For me this gesture symbolised the Ship of State sailing to the shores of need, past the reefs of greed, through the squalls of hate...
Night comes on... what a stunningly beautiful performance. It is my favourite song by Leonard and I was a bit disappointed when I heard it in Gent. But yesterday, it profoundly touched me and again I had goosebumps all over me.
The whole encore (starting with Take This Waltz) was unbelievabely good and for me the best performance of the encore segment I ever saw in a Leonard Cohen show. (Paris was my fifth). First We Take Manhattan was so much fun (with that flashing light rushing by in the background). And finally Closing Time, also one of my favourites (well actually, I have many favourites as you may notice ;-) ). I knew that is wasn't played on friday so I nearly passed out of joy when he said "I think it's Closing time". :D And then he said his blessings, thanked us all and put down the microphone. I knew that the concert was over, we were already over curfew and putting the microphone down was a clear sign for me that the show is over. But no, Leonard comes back and plays I tried to leave you. He truly is a man still working for our smile. And I certainly was satisfied with that performance. Thank you Leonard!

Oh I just forgot to say that the audience's reaction to "j'ai la France entière" and the standing ovation after the Partisan were one of my greatest live experiences. (Although the song sounded a little bit better on the second night in Gent.). And another thing I forgot to tell you: Yesterday's Bird on a Wire was the best version I ever heard of that song. 8)

It was my last concert on this tour and a beautiful conclusion to two months filled with Leonard and his music. Now let's hope, that we can experience this again next year but even if that will not be the case, I can live with it, knowing that I've been to such great shows. 8)
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

sue7 wrote:Wendy, I think that Linda was trying to post a link to a setlist right in the concert thread, which will make it much easier for people in the future to see the setlist for the Paris concerts. She used setlist.fm, and now you've also provided an internal link to the forum Setlist thread. It all enriches the forum and enriches the information that is available to people who are interested, which is wonderful.
Sue
For those who can't be bothered to go to the Forum Setlists thread, here's the setlist for the third night in Paris - no link required, certainly not to the less than 100% reliable setlist.fm:

Paris Olympia - 3rd night - September 30, 2012

First Set
Dance me to the end of love
The future
Bird on a wire
Everybody knows
Who by fire
Darkness
Sisters of mercy
Hey, that’s no way to say goodbye
Amen
Come healing
In my secret life
Going home
Waiting for the miracle
Anthem

Second Set:
Tower of song
Suzanne
Night comes on
Heart with no companion
The gypsy’s wife
The partisan
Democracy
Coming back to you (Webb Sisters)
Alexandra leaving (Sharon Robinson)
I’m your man
Hallelujah
Take this waltz

Encore:
So long, Marianne
First we take Manhattan

Second encore:
Famous blue raincoat
If It be Your Will (Webb Sisters)
Closing Time

Third encore:
I tried to leave you
Save the Last Dance

I've also posted the setlist on the Setlists thread for those who like to see things in their proper place. I hope this enriches everyone's Forum experience.

Another great concert at Paris Olympia. I thought Leonard might be tired after 3 shows on consecutive nights. I was certainly flagging but not so Leonard - he seemed to be on blistering form. The audience were a little quieter than Saturday night but that's probably to be expected on a Sunday. We had a slightly delayed start due to a demonstration in the streets outside the venue but Leonard made up for lost time and we got a full show. Acrobatics were back on the menu and the entire UHTC crew came on stage for Save the Last Dance to dance the night away before the load out. There were a few shenanigans involving hats from the stage right techs which threatened to upstage Leonard for a few moments but it was all good fun and Leonard laughed along with the rest of us. Jacques the monkey made his debut appearance during Manhattan courtesy of MaryB. No doubt he will be joining Fred & Co on tour and I hope he enjoys his new life as a member of the gang.

Quite a few of us were pretty emotional towards the end of the show. The European tour is drawing to a close and it was the last show for a number of us. It was a real treat to enjoy the show in such a small, intimate venue and I know I will remember the Olympia concerts for a long time to come.

Wendy
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

SeventhSon - thanks for your lovely concert review - I enjoyed reading it.

Here is a video - uploaded by Almaficus - Thanks!

Famous Blue Raincoat ("sincerely - a friend")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez5dChj_RgA
Albert

Post by Albert »

@ SeventhSon

I dont count Cohen Shows any more ,must be around my 60 th,only topped by Grateful Dead shows and I have to confirm,
that this was in many ways an outstanding performance. So many little subtle moments and Cohen was in superb form
Would not agree on BOTW ,but that is a matter of personal taste.

If you are interested in some Saturday photos send me a pm with your plain email-adress, I don't know,how
to upload them here.

As for next years concerts , i hope the number of OpenAirs will be reduced if not put to zero !!
basecamp

CONCERT REPORTS: Paris September 28, 29, 30, 2012

Post by basecamp »

Thanks for your great report, Wendy!
See you in Barcelona!
- Hans
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”